• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 1 vs XM 1 trade
3 3

Which would you chose?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• FF 1 blue label 5.0 white, signed by Stan
    • XM 1 blue label 6.0 white, Green River ped

47 posts in this topic

This was a TOUGH one, as they both present very well for the grade, both white with great colors, square, and all that good stuff. That being said, I went with the FF for the purposes below.  The ped made the decision very difficult as well. I’m a Stan guy, and that sig is so clean with the 75’ neatly placed an inch away too!!

We have to look at the timelessness of both books, and as stated above, FF started it all. Would there have been X-Men without FF- probably, but they may have been very different. The concept of a “superhero team” had been done before, but Stan and Jack made it just a tad more special than anything that had preceded it. 

As far as monetary value, I think FF will have more sustaining value (Tougher book, plain and simple) whereas X-Men is your better short term bet (5-8 years). Keep us posted on this potential trade! 

Ack, I'm late to my own party!  :acclaim:

Thanks, Andy, for posting this -- both books are in great shape for the grade, to be sure.  I enjoyed reading everyone's vote and comments as well, and appreciate all the thoughtful input. 

The trade is a cool idea in the abstract...I'm just grateful to have one of the two books in question.

Dan

ps I've seen a TON of Stan sigs and this one is definitely real from 1975.

Edited by Drummy

For me, it's FF1. 

I agree with most of what's been said so far. I'm a big fan of the history of comic books and no single book was more important to Marvel's history than FF1 

Long term, I still think FF1 has more upside. X1 has been on a tear. It's been unbelievable, but these things tend to move in cycles and I think FF1 will have its day again.

27 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

For me, it's FF1. 

I agree with most of what's been said so far. I'm a big fan of the history of comic books and no single book was more important to Marvel's history than FF1 

Long term, I still think FF1 has more upside. X1 has been on a tear. It's been unbelievable, but these things tend to move in cycles and I think FF1 will have its day again.

$264k for a 9.0 FF1 yesterday. That’s pretty amazing to me

The colors on the FF 1 are really beautiful, no time fade at all. The sig is nice to, which definitely dropped the grade to where it is. The X-Men on the other hand is...well the X-Men! Both iconic books, both extremely valuable. I'm calling this one a draw, if a trade goes through, both parties will be happy with the super teams they are getting!

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The colors on the FF 1 are really beautiful, no time fade at all. The sig is nice to, which definitely dropped the grade to where it is. The X-Men on the other hand is...well the X-Men! Both iconic books, both extremely valuable. I'm calling this one a draw, if a trade goes through, both parties will be happy with the super teams they are getting!

I picked FF1, but I do agree that neither party would be wronged.

Two tremendous books any of us would be lucky to own.  

As a tangent, if it’s ok with the OP, I wonder if there is also an age related component to our votes?

For instance as a cutoff...would the FF be represented by the over 50 crowd and by default, Xmen represented by the under 50 crowd if we are postulating that the Xmen are more relevant to “today’s momentum”?

54 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

As a tangent, if it’s ok with the OP, I wonder if there is also an age related component to our votes?

For instance as a cutoff...would the FF be represented by the over 50 crowd and by default, Xmen represented by the under 50 crowd if we are postulating that the Xmen are more relevant to “today’s momentum”?

I think that's an easy stereotype. I'm under 30 and like the FF more than X-Men, for what it's worth. People just assume X-Men are the favorite characters of any young person, just due to diversity, etc. 

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

I'm still in the under 40 crowd for a little longer and also prefer the FF. 

X-Men were a bigger part of my youth.  The cards, comics and Cartoons. But FF48 is what made me want to collect. SS was my favorite character, so given the choice, I much prefer FF. 

I have both books. & love both books, wouldnt part with either! However. if I had to pick one of the 2 in question, (FF1 5.0 WP OG stan sig vs Xm1 6.0 GR ped).. No question I take the FF1,  WPs + a beautiful stan sig, back when his sign actually looked like a signature. :cloud9:.  Winner for me!

Also, a year ago this trade has no way of happening... how times have changed (so fast!)

2 hours ago, GAMBIT said:

Also, a year ago this trade has no way of happening... how times have changed (so fast!)

That's what astonishes me.  Even just a few months ago, this wouldn't have been a conversation. X1 has made extraordinary strides in a very short period of time. 

Appreciate everyone's opinions here!  I would have made the straight-up trade and lost money over time, I think, but would have gained a copy of X-1 that I adore. Ah well. :x

Let the hunt continue! :ph34r:

Dan