• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robservations with Rob Liefeld
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been brought up.....feelings about his art aside, has anyone heard his podcast?  He talks all about the history of comics and his own journey, seems pretty cool.  I only heard one show so far, it was pretty good.  Has anyone else heard or listens to it?  

1 hour ago, XjYoZbQ said:

GTFOH!

I was standing next to Liefeld as he was actually looking for some of his original artwork at NYCC in 2019.  Recently in the group he disclosed that he no longer owns any of his original cover art to New Mutants and was wondering if anyone has them. 

But... he also collects and buys pages from other artists.  

Just a regular collector in the group as he will talk about the market and wonder aloud about where it is headed.  For all we know he is a member of the boards here.

Edited by Buzzetta

6 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I wonder what it would cost to have him do a recreation of Vampirella #1 for me?  

Imagine the Frazetta image but with lots of pouches and guns ( but no feet of course ).

I think it would be worth a fair amount to me just to torment the guys in the Magazine sub forum. 😀

I once asked him about it at NYCC prior to the first Deadpool movie.  I gave him a fist bump because at the time he was still doing meet and greets with fans, posing for pictures and was very good natured about it.  The guy was taking a lot of from people.  I mean there are people that will stand in line to ask for a sketch of a foot.  

And yes, some of you will remember that I dropped off pressing paper to CAK at Big Apple / NYCBM as a goof but that was specifically CAK, there was no line, and I did it for the love of the CGC boards.  But while that was a goof, I have seen people be venomous in shouting things at Liefeld at shows.  Like I said, he is pretty good natured about it all and for putting up with a lot of it over the past twenty years, he gets respect for me in that area. 

Most other people would have caused an incident worthy of national headlines over some of the nonsense I have seen him subjected to. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I once asked him about it at NYCC prior to the first Deadpool movie.  I gave him a fist bump because at the time he was still doing meet and greets with fans, posing for pictures and was very good natured about it.  The guy was taking a lot of from people.  I mean there are people that will stand in line to ask for a sketch of a foot.  

And yes, some of you will remember that I dropped off pressing paper to CAK at Big Apple / NYCBM as a goof but that was specifically CAK, there was no line, and I did it for the love of the CGC boards.  But while that was a goof, I have seen people be venomous in shouting things at Liefeld at shows.  Like I said, he is pretty good natured about it all and for putting up with a lot of it over the past twenty years, he gets respect for me in that area. 

Most other people would have caused an incident worthy of national headlines over some of the nonsense I have seen him subjected to. 

Yeah, I can’t see springing a request like that on him at a show.  I’d essentially be asking him to parody his own work, which many people would not take very well.  

I just think it would be funny.

To succeed wildly at something that you're actually terrible at doing. 

I would normally applaud such astonishing overachievement, but that would mean applauding a system based on anything but meritocracy. Think of all of the legitimate artists who will die unknown and poor. Then, you have straight bums making millions. How does this even happen? 

He deserves more credit than he gets. 

Took a huge risk to start Image, had his own studio, created some staple characters, and many people really did enjoy his work back in the day.  

I get that people dislike his style and I've heard the antics, but it's gone overboard. 

Often wonder why some just don't move on to what you like. 

Patrick

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

I would normally applaud such astonishing overachievement, but that would mean applauding a system based on anything but meritocracy. Think of all of the legitimate artists who will die unknown and poor. Then, you have straight bums making millions. How does this even happen? 

Probably the same way the investor of the Pet Rock (Gary Dahl) made a fortune.. 

01dahl-1-obit-facebookJumbo-v2.thumb.jpg.e71395bceaddaf2d11e8baa5d6f5f5f4.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/us/gary-dahl-inventor-of-the-pet-rock-dies-at-78.html

There are no bounds to stupidity.. 

3 hours ago, newshane said:

He wasn’t terrible at comics, although an objective art critic wouldn’t be a fan of his illustration style. He was creating more than lines on paper. It’s a lot of right place at the tight time but if he wasn’t good at what he did an entire industry wouldn’t have imitated it for half a decade. It was all teeth, tits, Guns, claws, and explosions. It’s what the 90’s 12-14 year old was after, and I don’t think most of his fans spent too much time staring at a panel to notice a missing limb or a gun barrel that bends and twists. None of them were looking for an Alan Moore plot. They’re too busy looking at the tits and claws and explosions. I’ve known people who considered Liefeld to be their favorite artist, and those people spent money just like we do. They were looking for something he was providing. I honestly don’t see him to be a whole lot worse than 90’s McFarlane, and it can be difficult at times to tell many 90’s artists apart because they’re all trying to be Liefeld. 

10 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

He wasn’t terrible at comics, although an objective art critic wouldn’t be a fan of his illustration style. He was creating more than lines on paper. It’s a lot of right place at the tight time but if he wasn’t good at what he did an entire industry wouldn’t have imitated it for half a decade. It was all teeth, tits, Guns, claws, and explosions. It’s what the 90’s 12-14 year old was after, and I don’t think most of his fans spent too much time staring at a panel to notice a missing limb or a gun barrel that bends and twists. None of them were looking for an Alan Moore plot. They’re too busy looking at the tits and claws and explosions. I’ve known people who considered Liefeld to be their favorite artist, and those people spent money just like we do. They were looking for something he was providing. I honestly don’t see him to be a whole lot worse than 90’s McFarlane, and it can be difficult at times to tell many 90’s artists apart because they’re all trying to be Liefeld. 

Well said. In addition, Rob really seems to be interactive with us "regular people" on places like Instagram and FB. People don't have to like his art, but some people's hatred for him seems to come more from jealousy than anything else. Very sad way to live life, IMO.