• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robservations with Rob Liefeld
2 2

54 posts in this topic

I listen to his podcast. I enjoy his enthusiasm for the medium, his anecdotes from throughout his career, etc.

I never thought that I'd ever, ever say "I enjoy listening to Rob Liefeld's podcast," as I do not at all enjoy his art now (though as a pre-teen and young teen I probably didn't mind it), but I do.

XyzABCjklmnop hasn't actually given anyone any "real" reasons to dislike Liefield, regarding his alleged screwing people over, but I'm all ears. I doubt it'll prevent me from continuing to enjoy the podcast, but it might add more context to some of the things Liefeld talks about or claims there.

Edited by speedcake

Seems like this topic pops up pretty regularly, so I can only say what I usually say: while I find his art distasteful now, when I was a kid, it was certainly exciting and new. When I saw What If 7 (...Wolverine was an Agent of SHIELD) on the stands, I had to have it. Even at the age of 12/13, I knew that there was something shaky about the anatomy, but the ENERGY of the images, it really blew me away. What it lacked in foundation, it made up for with stylization and kinetic action. It was big, it was wild, it was crazy looking. I loved it.

I followed over to New Mutants, X-Force, etc. By the time he'd split off to Image/Extreme, my infatuation had ended, as by that point everyone else was drawing like him, and without Marvel/DC inkers or editors to restrain him, it seemed like his stuff got even sloppier. But I'll always love that early stuff and the nostalgic zip it gives me.

I can't speak to his business dealings, I have no idea what is going on there. Maybe he's a genuinely bad dude? I have no idea. But I do feel like he really loves comics, and the comic world is more fun with him popping up here and there with his latest insanity. I won't be buying it, but I'm still glad to know it exists. And there have been tons of hacks over the years who got away with a whole lot more than Liefeld ever did. He has his limitations as an artist, but a lot of folks just seem to enjoy kicking the guy because they can. I don't like his stuff now, but I don't see the point in mocking him for it.

The mentions of him "screwing people over", to me the shining example is his kickstarter from 2013-ish.  It didn't make him huge amounts of money by any means.  What I feel it did do was punch his fans in the teeth for supporting him.

I actually did not mind his earlier stuff. At some point in the New Mutants run it got way too hyper stylized. I guess he started off trying to look like McFarlane and then lost it?

On 4/2/2021 at 9:48 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Probably the same way the investor of the Pet Rock (Gary Dahl) made a fortune.. 

01dahl-1-obit-facebookJumbo-v2.thumb.jpg.e71395bceaddaf2d11e8baa5d6f5f5f4.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/us/gary-dahl-inventor-of-the-pet-rock-dies-at-78.html

There are no bounds to stupidity.. 

The Pet Rock dude was a genius. I'd take a lot of guff for millions of dollars. Something I am doing for free every day. I wonder how much an original in box Pet Rock goes for on EBAY.

4 hours ago, XjYoZbQ said:

Start here. This will give you some sanitized jumping off points for further research:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/rob-liefeld-controversial-comics-titles/amp/

And this link tells the unsanitized story:

https://www.geekscape.net/history-of-the-nerd-everybody-hates-rob-liefeld

I am incredibly disappointed. You linked to a now twelve year old, poorly written blog rant that, while yes makes Liefeld out to be a total and a jerk, offers no evidence or proof of anything truly nefarious.

I'll admit that I didn't bother clicking the first link you shared.

Having met him in person a couple times years ago I thought he was a bit of a jerk, so did my friends who had drinks with him. I get why people don't like him. In person he can be a huge braggart. 
I also didn't think Liefield is always as bad as people say. Certainly not worth dwelling on like some do.

I think there are far worse out there.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

The Pet Rock dude was a genius. I'd take a lot of guff for millions of dollars. Something I am doing for free every day. I wonder how much an original in box Pet Rock goes for on EBAY.

Agreed. Looks like the originals sell anywhere from about $10 to $50 depending on condition and if everything is there.. 20210405_132741.thumb.jpg.8b960add06fa500cfd2a2c1a0368c1a6.jpg

8 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Agreed. Looks like the originals sell anywhere from about $10 to $50 depending on condition and if everything is there.. 20210405_132741.thumb.jpg.8b960add06fa500cfd2a2c1a0368c1a6.jpg

Who in Tarnation actually bought one of these?!

12 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

(shrug) sure wasn't me. Probably the same people paying new records for common books and marvel cards.. 

Are you trying to cross these 2 threads together like Peanut Butter & Jelly? lol

What, you don't want to pay $1000 for Hulk 181 rookie card! lol

1 minute ago, Comics4All said:

Are you trying to cross these 2 threads together like Peanut Butter & Jelly? lol

What, you don't want to pay $1000 for Hulk 181 rookie card! lol

Nope to both. Besides it appears we already have cardkids in almost every thread these day.. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Nope to both. Besides it appears we already have cardkids in almost every thread these day.. :facepalm:

:facepalm: is right !

But the cardkids provide much needed comedy for us, especially in 2021!

Edited by Comics4All

2 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

:facepalm: is right !

But the cardkids provide much needed comedy for us, especially in 2021!

While that may be the case. There are other threads for it. No just dropping by and carping on a thread or insulting other board members. Jokes are one thing, but you have to remember not everyone has the same sense of humor.  Even though threads to tend to derail a little as conversation wanders, they usually get back on track.

Just my Robservation . (thumbsu

5 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Maybe CGC will start grading these too. Then we will get reports like "I sent in my Pet Rock in to be graded. I'm pretty sure this chip wasn't there when I sent it in. Hopefully they make things right."

"PGM Pet Rock"

8.0 as is. Press and clean maybe 9.2