• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Themed/Special issues of Creepy and Eerie

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm a huge fan of these specific genres and styles and am looking for issues of Creepy and Eerie that would fit these:

• Scifi
  • Fantasy
  • Weird War
  • Alternate History
  • Apocalyptic
  • Dystopian

I'm a huge Heavy Metal fan (if that wasn't obvious) but like picking up non-HM issues that fit my taste.

For example, I know Creepy #89 is a war-themed issue, so I'm definitely picking that up. I'd also consider non-themed issues if they have stand out stories matching the above themes.

There are a lot of Creepy/Eerie issues and unfortunately (for me) their covers rarely relate to the content inside so it's hard to spot the right ones! I defer to you all as the Warren experts.

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Heavy-ish Metal said:

Hi all, I'm a huge fan of these specific genres and styles and am looking for issues of Creepy and Eerie that would fit these:

• Scifi
  • Fantasy
  • Weird War
  • Alternate History
  • Apocalyptic
  • Dystopian

I'm a huge Heavy Metal fan (if that wasn't obvious) but like picking up non-HM issues that fit my taste.

For example, I know Creepy #89 is a war-themed issue, so I'm definitely picking that up. I'd also consider non-themed issues if they have stand out stories matching the above themes.

There are a lot of Creepy/Eerie issues and unfortunately (for me) their covers rarely relate to the content inside so it's hard to spot the right ones! I defer to you all as the Warren experts.

Thank you!

Creepy 1-145

Eerie 1-139

Blazing Combat 1-4

Vampirella 1-112

Pretty much every issue checks one of those boxes and plus, they're much, much cooler than Heavy Metal (which owes much to the Warren catalog).  The first 40 or 50 issues of each title are the best, IMO.  (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Creepy 1-145

Eerie 1-139

Blazing Combat 1-4

Vampirella 1-112

Pretty much every issue checks one of those boxes and plus, they're much, much cooler than Heavy Metal (which owes much to the Warren catalog).  The first 40 or 50 issues of each title are the best, IMO.  (thumbsu

Haha fair points! I wish I could collect them all, but my budget and space just won't allow for it, so I'm trying to identify the issues that would tick the most boxes. 

I came upon the idea by reading the wiki for Blazing Combat, which I am definitely picking up as it's only 4 issues, after seeing that one of the stories was reprinted in Creepy's war themed issue #89. So it got me thinking I'd like to see what other specials would be up my alley.

I'm no expert on the Warren books... the only titles I have complete runs of are Help! and The Spirit, both of which are somewhat atypical.  I would just try looking at the cover galleries and seeing what issues are flagged, they do seem pretty good about announcing themes on the covers.

https://www.comics.org/series/1640/covers/

https://www.comics.org/series/1755/covers/

https://www.comics.org/series/1916/covers/

4 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Creepy 1-145

Eerie 1-139

Blazing Combat 1-4

Vampirella 1-112

They owe much more to the French magazine, Metal Hurlant. For a start, they reprinted a lot of their material (translated to English of course). The artwork was distinctive, with a very different sensibility than was evident in the US. They also had some of Corben's best work that could only be published in undergrounds in the US.

Here is an example (courtesy of MCS):

image.png.41718512487d9c869640a50784c2ac0e.png

The marvelous surreal sci-fi "The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius" was also first published by them.

image.png.eb6a7206ca55dc0d851c9f8bb662109e.png

Over 40 issues of Metal Hurlant were published, yet MCS has none when I checked just now.

3 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

They owe much more to the French magazine, Metal Hurlant. For a start, they reprinted a lot of their material (translated to English of course). The artwork was distinctive, with a very different sensibility than was evident in the US. They also had some of Corben's best work that could only be published in undergrounds in the US.

Here is an example (courtesy of MCS):

image.png.41718512487d9c869640a50784c2ac0e.png

The marvelous surreal sci-fi "The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius" was also first published by them.

image.png.eb6a7206ca55dc0d851c9f8bb662109e.png

Over 40 issues of Metal Hurlant were published, yet MCS has none when I checked just now.

Metal Hurlant (which is a cool magazine) is French for "Screaming Metal" or "Howling Metal".  I have a few of the early issues but not a complete set.  It's a great showcase for Moebius' early work.

It was first published in 1974, 10 years after the publication of Creepy 1.  Creepy 36, Corben's first work at Warren is dated November 1970.  And he was published regularly by Warren for the rest of it's existence.  I'm standing by my Warren statement.  :sumo:

Also, welcome to the boards!  (thumbsu

Thanks.

Yes I know Corben was published regularly at Warren but some of his work was too - shall we say - "adult" for US publishers apart from the undergrounds. I think some of it done for MH was even censored when republished in HM.

"Heavy Metal" in its earlier years mostly repackaged work from Metal Hurlant, including the cover art; eg this image was on MH#1 and used for HM#2:

image.png.0ce6f4214da526fb7e010468263aa8f0.png

13 hours ago, Heavy-ish Metal said:

Thank you @Taylor G!

Yes I did know about 1984/1994 and collected the entire run as it fits in one short box. I'd like to fill another short box with select Creepy and Eerie issues. The ones you mentioned look like a great place to start (though I'll likely pass on the sports ones lol)

One short box? You will think back on that and laugh one day. 

16 hours ago, Heavy-ish Metal said:

Thank you @Taylor G!

Yes I did know about 1984/1994 and collected the entire run as it fits in one short box. I'd like to fill another short box with select Creepy and Eerie issues. The ones you mentioned look like a great place to start (though I'll likely pass on the sports ones lol)

I may be preaching to the choir here, but one resource that I find extremely helpful is the www.mycomicshop.com website... just type in Eerie or Creepy into the search engine, find the right listing and .. voila ... there is an index with all the covers and some info for every issue. You can then search for what grabs you. Often, they will even have a few examples for sale. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

23 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I may be preaching to the choir here, but one resource that I find extremely helpful is the www.mycomicshop.com website... just type in Eerie or Creepy into the search engine, find the right listing and .. voila ... there is an index with all the covers and some info for every issue. You can then search for what grabs you. Often, they will even have a few examples for sale. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Shhhhhh!  You'll dry up my source for Fantucchio pedigree magazines if you tell everybody about MCS. (: