• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Turn Around Times thread for Trading Card Submissions!
6 6

2,566 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, C2N0 said:

Strict grading is why I came to CGC along with its pricing. It’s a differentiating factor from competitors like PSA that are becoming more lax in their standards as of late. 

Isnt "strict grading" just a devaluation of your assets? Its not a roast man. Its an opinion about the condition of your card that your needing for resell. I dont get this mentality anymore since at first I kind of thought it made sense, but after getting multiple 8.5's and 9's for no real reason, its just as subjective as any other company with their methology.  Even when asked CGC of how their methology works, they say they use an algorithm that isnt public information. Lol like really? A made up algorithm that has no clear explanation. I dont even know where to start with that since they might as well just say "yeah we just make stuff up as we go along".

Ive had alot of 9's that could easily gotten 10s with PSA. Nothing really wrong with them. 9 vs 9.5 vs 10 just all come down to how the grader was feeling that day.  Its the same standards as BGS and BGS always sells less than PSA except for the perfect 10's/pristine 10s that rarely are given out. But even the 10s, they dont look very different than alot of other cards. A 9 or a 9.5 can easily be a 10. To me it just feels like a marketing gimmick to get people to grade here thinking they will get some magical 10 but 90 something percent of the time, you will get a 9.5 or a 9 no matter how perfect the card is.

Edited by geraldfordfan69

11 hours ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

Isnt "strict grading" just a devaluation of your assets? Its not a roast man. Its an opinion about the condition of your card that your needing for resell. I dont get this mentality anymore since at first I kind of thought it made sense, but after getting multiple 8.5's and 9's for no real reason, its just as subjective as any other company with their methology.  Even when asked CGC of how their methology works, they say they use an algorithm that isnt public information. Lol like really? A made up algorithm that has no clear explanation. I dont even know where to start with that since they might as well just say "yeah we just make stuff up as we go along".

Ive had alot of 9's that could easily gotten 10s with PSA. Nothing really wrong with them. 9 vs 9.5 vs 10 just all come down to how the grader was feeling that day.  Its the same standards as BGS and BGS always sells less than PSA except for the perfect 10's/pristine 10s that rarely are given out. But even the 10s, they dont look very different than alot of other cards. A 9 or a 9.5 can easily be a 10. To me it just feels like a marketing gimmick to get people to grade here thinking they will get some magical 10 but 90 something percent of the time, you will get a 9.5 or a 9 no matter how perfect the card is.

Logically it shouldn’t. If the grading is stricter than than means a perfect 10 is literally a perfect 10. You know to have the best quality collectible you can possibly have. There’s also the issue of having too many 10s in the market with varying degrees of condition. 

At least that’s the way I see it. 

5 minutes ago, C2N0 said:

Logically it shouldn’t. If the grading is stricter than than means a perfect 10 is literally a perfect 10. You know to have the best quality collectible you can possibly have. There’s also the issue of having too many 10s in the market with varying degrees of condition. 

At least that’s the way I see it. 

If card quality is high, then there should be lots of 10s on the market. There shouldnt be a bunch of 9's and 9.5s if thats the case since if there isnt any imperfections, there is no reason to artificially downgrade cards. Lots of the japanese cards have zero issues since they have the card production almost down to the science, yet theres tons of japanese cards that arent perfect 10s. Same could be said with certain US sets. Ive done mass box openings on some of the recent sword & shield sets and some of them have no quality control issues, so not to give out 9.5's or 10s on new cards with no factory issues, doesnt make any sense.

I'm already starting to notice inconsistencies in some of the cards I been graded. That is grading in general though, its all subjective and CGC isnt any different. What makes me not like the CGC/BGS system is that when its on a 9.5 scale (since the 10 is non-existant for the most part), the cards naturally get graded lower. I end up with lots of 8's and 8.5s when with SGC or PSA, i would have more 9's since they use the 1-10 scale.

At the end of the day, I just care what the number is since thats what the market cares about. People sadly buy the label. But its not much dfiferent than buying luxury goods. People dont buy rolls royce or louis vuitton because its the best quality. They buy it since its a status symbol. And PSA, even with their crappy slabs, is a status thing. So Im not really incentivized to grade with a company that realistically, just has a different methology really. They care alot about centering while the rest of the companies dont. And the secondary market doesnt care that CGC cares about centering, so theres that.

2 hours ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

If card quality is high, then there should be lots of 10s on the market. There shouldnt be a bunch of 9's and 9.5s if thats the case since if there isnt any imperfections, there is no reason to artificially downgrade cards. Lots of the japanese cards have zero issues since they have the card production almost down to the science, yet theres tons of japanese cards that arent perfect 10s. Same could be said with certain US sets. Ive done mass box openings on some of the recent sword & shield sets and some of them have no quality control issues, so not to give out 9.5's or 10s on new cards with no factory issues, doesnt make any sense.

I'm already starting to notice inconsistencies in some of the cards I been graded. That is grading in general though, its all subjective and CGC isnt any different. What makes me not like the CGC/BGS system is that when its on a 9.5 scale (since the 10 is non-existant for the most part), the cards naturally get graded lower. I end up with lots of 8's and 8.5s when with SGC or PSA, i would have more 9's since they use the 1-10 scale.

At the end of the day, I just care what the number is since thats what the market cares about. People sadly buy the label. But its not much dfiferent than buying luxury goods. People dont buy rolls royce or louis vuitton because its the best quality. They buy it since its a status symbol. And PSA, even with their crappy slabs, is a status thing. So Im not really incentivized to grade with a company that realistically, just has a different methology really. They care alot about centering while the rest of the companies dont. And the secondary market doesnt care that CGC cares about centering, so theres that.

This kinda just goes back to my original point. If you need to use a microscope to see a miniscule defect within a card then you are trying too hard. Again, these cards are being graded for humans, not robots. I If the human eye cannot detect flaws in the card than I strongly believe the card should be a 10. This is how PSA feels and this is why they will always control the market. 

17 hours ago, C1one said:

Assuming a question for support.  They have responded to me each time pretty swiftly.  I'm a first time grader and sent 3 concerns so far. Lol

They don't open them just based on the day, they open for packages received for that entire week. 

Just had a walkthrough order received 04/08/2021 and back in the mail on its way to me 04/14/2021 so as of this post the WK subs are still consistent. Just in case anyone has not noticed yet, the bulk orders have changed from 111 day TaT to 144 days. It looks like CGC is going to get flooded due to PSA closing its doors. I view this as great news because it shows a huge demand for this company and its a clear indicator that they will likely rise to become one of the big 3 for TCG grading. Don't be surprised to see the turnaround time be increased again another 30-60 days in the coming months guys!

Edited by Lyle Freeland

8 hours ago, Nostalgia89 said:

Standard 7 cards no subs
Delivered: 3-15 @ 5:30PM CST

Same. I’m very confused how they have been opening packages for the week of 3-15 since at least Monday and yet my package that was delivered on 3-15 still hasn’t been received yet.

Edited by jd619641

I think all the grading companies should be held accountable for there advertised services. Especially when you pay for 45 day turnaround and it takes 9-12 months to get the cards back. Why even list a time frame? There is a thing called truth in advertising and is held up in most states. If they were made to up hold there service times then maybe they would rethink there sub policies a lil better. Its like a shoot with most of the ones sending in new rookie cards. May be a high demand player when you send it in, but 3 months into the season and they get a season ending ACL injury and the market for there cards drops and you loose that round .And 6 months later when you finally get your cards back there not worth the plastic there stuck in.LOL

On 4/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, C1one said:

I have a 64 card bulk order in, we still have like 2 weeks till they are even gunna hit our packages.. someone said last week they were working on packages from week of 3/8, was yours logged? Or just signed for I sorta wanna follow your timing see how consistent they are.  Since ours were both delivered the same day

So my package was confirmed received (no signature or anything) on 3/3/21 and then moved to "received" on 3/26/21. 

But hey, I'm ready to wait a year TAT on these pups ><....does it even matter anymore? LOL