• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book turned you from a Kirby hater to a Kirby lover?
2 2

126 posts in this topic

For me it was Thor 132.  I bought a small collection from LCS buddy and there were like 5 Thors so I started reading them.  Suddenly I was mesmerized by the drawing-which I had disliked all my life.  I then began buying up all the kirby books I could-many Thors in duplicates which turned out to be a smart move.  

I was never a hater. I was an FF guy, so once he hit his stride with Sinnott's inks, I couldn't help but be all in. Thor was my second favorite book, and it took me a while to get used to Colletta inks once I was accustomed to those wonderful Sinnott inks. 

What took even more getting used to were the Royer and Evanier inks over at DC... 

Edited by PopKulture

Never hated Kirby.  I remember one of the first comics I ever bought off the 7/11 rack, was a Captain America 197.  Looking at the art, even back then, I could tell there was something about his style, that made him unique. 

6 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I was never a hater. I was an FF guy, so once he hit his stride with Sinnott's inks, I couldn't help but be all in. Thor was my second favorite book, and it took me a while to get used to Coletta inks once I was accustomed to those wonderful Sinnott inks. 

What took even more getting used to were the Royer and Evanier inks over at DC... 

Coletta could destroy anyone's artwork-he simply demolished curt swan-but he couldnt destroy Kirby!

12 minutes ago, kav said:

Coletta could destroy anyone's artwork-he simply demolished curt swan-but he couldnt destroy Kirby!

Man, I can't think of solid examples of Colletta inking Swan. Point me in the right wrong direction? 

Swan...  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Man, I can't think of solid examples of Coletta inking Swan. Point me in the right wrong direction? 

Swan...  :cloud9:

I am a big swan collector-but I have zero books of swan inked by colletta, tex blaisdell, Hunt or wiliamson.  :sick:

24 minutes ago, toro said:

I always liked Kirby.  The cover of Avengers #4 was my favorite buying that new.  The stuff late in his career was kind of tough.

I agree. I always liked him - especially on Thor - but his later work was pretty hard to look at. 

The only stuff I did not care for was Super Powers.  I like everything else.

I thought there would be more ex Kirby haters as I hear a lot of "I used to hate Kirby" in real life.

Never really hated Kirby but he wasn't my favorite.Thor # 175 will always be one of my favorite books ever.I liked most of his FF stuff,esp. 48-50 and his work on Thor.His New Gods stuff struck awe in my very young mind.Also really dug is work on Eternals & Black Panther.I also have the stuff he did at Pacific.That just didn't hold up.Never saw any of his books from Topps,other than the covers so I can't say about that.

Well always love kirby (not the Nintendo one! Lol)but it was a big challenge for me to read a gene colan iron man for 2 or 3 page and then it switched to kirby art,hoo boy that one is a tough one to love.when you read that story the switch of art Burnside your eyes lol

talestoastonish82_zpse1f4f246.jpg

20210403_092806.jpg

20210403_092820.jpg

I don't think I ever hated Kirby, but I have gone out of my way to avoid purchasing/reading books that he illustrated because I find his artwork crude and blocky.  Nothing has changed my mind in the 40 years I've been collecting comics.  However, while I am unable to appreciate his artwork, I do appreciate his contributions to Marvel, DC, and the comics industry in general.

In the past, there has been other artists whose work I didn't 'get' only to appreciate later on.  Artists such as Sal Buscema, Mike Kaluta, Kelley Jones, Don Rosa, and Sam Kieth to name but a few. 

Given Kirby's breadth of work, I wish an epiphany can somehow click on, light a lightbulb for my eyes so that I can 'get' Kirby art and read all of the stories I've yet to read because of his artwork.  But he's not the only artist I still don't 'get'.  I've tried for so long to appreciate Toth, Schulz, and a host of others, to no avail...yet.