• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book turned you from a Kirby hater to a Kirby lover?
2 2

126 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, kav said:

For me it was Thor 132.  I bought a small collection from LCS buddy and there were like 5 Thors so I started reading them.  Suddenly I was mesmerized by the drawing-which I had disliked all my life.  I then began buying up all the kirby books I could-many Thors in duplicates which turned out to be a smart move.  

The only thing that for me was a downlow is that kirby cant adapt he has a style and he couldnt break from it,John romita sr could change his artwork to imitate ditko or kirby,but kirby is flawed in that sense

1 minute ago, Namtak said:

The only thing that for me was a downlow is that kirby cant adapt he has a style and he couldnt break from it,John romita sr could change his artwork to imitate ditko or kirby,but kirby is flawed in that sense

There are many artists like this.  Sienkiewicz immediately comes to mind, even when he's inking over another penciller, there is no mistaking its Sienkiwicz.

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Man, I can't think of solid examples of Colletta inking Swan. Point me in the right wrong direction? 

Swan...  :cloud9:

Swan pencils, Colletta inks. Batman Family # 7

image.png

Edited by davidtere

I always liked the sense of action Kirby could bring to his work, whether you’re talking his best stuff or some of the more chunky, blocky late 70’s outputs. If anything, buying those off the racks as a grade schooler at the same time as Marvel’s Greatest Comics (the FF reprint title) taught me the importance of inkers.

When it comes to artist/inker, there’s definitely some one-off pairings where two guys hit their best stride together (Byrne and Austin, Newton and Adkins), and some guys who can make a lotta people look good (Dan Green) but if there’s one guy who could bring out the best in most any comics artist he touched its hands down Joe Sinnott. I’m not taking a thing away from Kirby; what they had together was special. Just drawing attention to Joe’s side of the equation, and his versatility. (Pretty strong penciller himself too, but most examples are in 50’s non-hero books so that may not be as well-known today.)

Never hated Kirby. My first exposure to him was in an issue of 'Marvel Saga' when I was 6 years old and I was mesmerized; it reprinted the Hulk/Thing battle from FF #12 and the thick Ayers ink line and everything was just so captivating and unlike the Hulk I was seeing in present time by Sal Buscema. 

I'm not a lover of Kirby bronze age art but I do appreciate what he did, his work output and the legacy that he left us all.  I prefer his GA/SA work rather than his bronze age work - it seemed grotesque to me.  However his elaborate backgrounds I have appreciated as I've gotten older.  His page output was amazing. 

I've always loved Kirby's art. The only thing I will say is that it became a bit too ubiquitus back in the heyday of Marvel and reading some DC books was a nice alternative at the time.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't think I ever hated Kirby, but I have gone out of my way to avoid purchasing/reading books that he illustrated because I find his artwork crude and blocky.  Nothing has changed my mind in the 40 years I've been collecting comics.  However, while I am unable to appreciate his artwork, I do appreciate his contributions to Marvel, DC, and the comics industry in general.

In the past, there has been other artists whose work I didn't 'get' only to appreciate later on.  Artists such as Sal Buscema, Mike Kaluta, Kelley Jones, Don Rosa, and Sam Kieth to name but a few. 

Given Kirby's breadth of work, I wish an epiphany can somehow click on, light a lightbulb for my eyes so that I can 'get' Kirby art and read all of the stories I've yet to read because of his artwork.  But he's not the only artist I still don't 'get'.  I've tried for so long to appreciate Toth, Schulz, and a host of others, to no avail...yet.

Read Thor 132-135.  Even if youve read em in the past, give it one more shot.  

5 hours ago, davidtere said:

Swan pencils, Colletta inks. Batman Family # 7

image.png

Not awful, but it still has that stiff and skimpy inking style.  Robin in last panel is pretty colleta-ish.  I'm like allergic to colletta on swan-the slightest colletta and I sneeze.  Do not mind him on Kirby tho.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Not awful, but it still has that stiff and skimpy inking style.  Robin in last panel is pretty colleta-ish.  I'm like allergic to colletta on swan-the slightest colletta and I sneeze.  Do not mind him on Kirby tho.

From my collection colleta on tuska,i like it

20210403_154124.jpg

20210403_154537.jpg

Edited by Namtak

11 minutes ago, Namtak said:

From my collection colleta on tuska,i like it

20210403_154124.jpg

20210403_154537.jpg

Nice tow own but I cannot stomach that art.

Never a Kirby hater, but not a big fan. In the 70s, I'd be reading the newest FF and reprints from Marvels Greatest Comics and for the most part I liked the newer art better. There was an occasional double page spread that was spectacular but for the most part, Kirby didn't impress me. 

Didn't like Kamandi or Omac and did not care for his Captain America at all. I was afraid they might put him back on the Avengers or FF and was very happy when he did his own thing. I tried to read 2001 last week and didn't get five pages in before I quit.