• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book turned you from a Kirby hater to a Kirby lover?
2 2

126 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I never hated Kirby, but as a kid I definitely didn't GET it. It was too chunky, too strange, for me. I grew up in the 80's, so I was all about Art Adams, Dave Stevens, Marc Silvestri, Paul Smith, folks like that. So Kirby was just, like, ALIEN to me.

Then, when I was 19, I was working at a comic shop, and the comic buyer was a big Kirby guy, and he'd show me stuff. And one day it just CLICKED. Suddenly it was beautiful.  Those huge square fingers jutting out at you, the panel-breaking compositions, the thick, chunky lines, THE KRACKLE!!! IT ALL MADE SENSE. And I never looked back. Bought reprints, subscribed to Jack Kirby Collector, the whole nine yards. Kirby is King.

I'm not sure which exact piece broke the dam for me, but this was one that I recall as being pivotal in my re-appreciation of the King.

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_66.jpg

THIS is the post I was waiting for.  This is exactly what happened to me.

25 minutes ago, kav said:

THIS is the post I was waiting for.  This is exactly what happened to me.

Same with me. As an adult I could appreciate Kirby. And then I saw his pencils. Most inkers just did not know what to do with them. Sinnot seemed to get the best line out of them and Colletta managed to replace the most with blanks. I wish Kirby work could have been printed direct from pencils.

2 hours ago, Muno42 said:

Same with me. As an adult I could appreciate Kirby. And then I saw his pencils. Most inkers just did not know what to do with them. Sinnot seemed to get the best line out of them and Colletta managed to replace the most with blanks. I wish Kirby work could have been printed direct from pencils.

The Jack Kirby Collector magazine used to print a lot of pencils, and they were a real delight, particularly when the mag switched to the oversized format.

I first laid eyes on a beat up copy of FF 47 in a huge pile that my Aunt gave to my sister, my 2 cousins, and me when I was around 6. I was instantly vaporized by the awesomeness and have never stopped loving his work to this day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

As a teen and into my 20's I despised his art, particularly what he was producing during my early collecting years in the mid to late 70's...everything seemed blocky and simplistic with lots of random squiggly lines. I gravitated towards the more anatomically correct and stylized stuff by Neal Adams and then John Byrne. Now as an adult I have a deep appreciation for him and his massive and profound influence in the dawn of the Marvel Age of Comics...no single book did it but as I accumulated more early SA keys my admiration grew by leaps and bounds, especially compared to the stiff and absurd stuff being produced by DC at that time. 

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

On 4/5/2021 at 7:26 AM, Pat Thomas said:

Each cover seemed to progressively feature uglier wide blocky characters with enormous teeth.

But, Devil Dinosaur was where it all fell into place.  Looking back, a work of insane genius.

vehicles-devildinosaur.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

But, Devil Dinosaur was where it all fell into place.  Looking back, a work of insane genius.

vehicles-devildinosaur.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Been mulling a Devil Dinosaur related tattoo for about 25 years now. One day?

18 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. It's no Kamandi...

584273.jpg

Good to see you Ken.I have questions for you about John Polk clay pipes.(saw the Antiques Roadshow in your part of the world)

Also,never ever ever ever could be a Kirby hater.He and the staff at Gold Key and Charlton nourished my young mind more than others with garage sale buys back then and more with digging waaaay back before he used Kirby in Famous Funnies.

Ditko and Kirby ARE comic books to me

7 minutes ago, Jonathan78 said:

Thor 156. I never liked Kirby. As others described, I thought his art was too blocky. However, my wise LCS owner told me years ago that I should read his Thor run before passing judgment. Very wise. It was an intriguing adventure and I learned to love his storytelling and imagination 

D360244A-624B-4C58-8126-FF8C7A2465D2.jpeg

The Recorder!  Likewise thru the colonizers storyline unto Galactus did I thus likewise begin to assess the genius that is.....KIRBY.

31 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I know I hate one person for SURE!  That Liefield's drawings of tiny toe-tipping feet make me cringed.

Sliver feet.

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I demand you do it as close to now as possible :sumo:

Well, on one hand I don't want to disappoint you; on the other hand, I'd like it if the wife kept speaking to me!

45 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Even Kirby's bad days...his drawings always mesmerize me.

I know I hate one person for SURE!  That Liefield's drawings of tiny toe-tipping feet make me cringed.

FF_51.gif.e84ea6482be5eeba1adc4f9b48ad2970.gif