• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book turned you from a Kirby hater to a Kirby lover?
2 2

126 posts in this topic

I like silver age Kirby

Tolerate Kirby at DC in the 70's

Dislike Kirby back at Marvel in the 70's

My first entry into Kirby was in the 70's as a kid reading Mister Miracle. I loved the stories but was not crazy about the art. It was only later that I started reading Marvel from the 60's and at first did not even realize that it was the same artist drawing FF that drew Mister Miracle. As I got older I started appreciating Kirby more and more based solely on his 60's output. When he went back to marvel in the 70's, his art was a real eyesore and I avoided those books like the plague.

I was always been mixed on Kirby. I think FF may be his best stuff. I really enjoy when he draws his over the top giant machines.

But I can't stand a lot of his early 70's and up artwork. I think he kept going at least 10+ years too long as he put out some of the worst artwork out there in the 70's and 80's.

When you have guys like Neal Adams, George Perez, and Bernie Wrightson, Mike Kaluta, etc etc out there, its really hard to go back and look at a lot of Kirby.

Edited by Rip

I was not a Kirby fan as a teenager in the 80s. I remember the first time I saw his run on Our Fighting Forces and thinking it was utter :sick:. Being a fan of Kubert and Heath and Severin, it was jarring to see that. The one book that turned me around was Demon 1, specifically the splash shown below. From that moment on I was a Kirby fan.

aelwnlb2rc841.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I was not a Kirby fan as a teenager in the 80s. I remember the first time I saw his run on Our Fighting Forces and thinking it was utter :sick:. Being a fan of Kubert and Heath and Severin, it was jarring to see that. The one book that turned me around was Demon 1, specifically the splash shown below. From that moment on I was a Kirby fan.

aelwnlb2rc841.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a 

Yeah, personally I loved his early 70's work at DC. He did a lot of stuff like that - just epic splashes with tons of action. That's a great one!