• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Percent of collectors who would pay more for...
2 2

What do you pay more for?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Newsstand Vs Direct

• It makes no difference to me
    • I would pay more for Newsstand Comics
    • I would pay more for Direct Comics
  2. 2. Page Quality

• I would pay more for better Page Quality
    • I would not pay more for better Page Quality
    • I would only avoid certain Page Quailties (e.g. Brittle/Slightly Brittle)
  3. 3. Price Variants

• I wouldn't pay more for Price Variants
    • I would pay more for traditional Price Variants
    • I would pay more for Canadian Price Variants
    • I would pay more for UK Price Variants
    • I would pay less for one or more types of Price Variants
    • I would like to make @Get Marwood & I pay more for Australian Price Variants which that loser @thunsicker didn't even realize was a thing
  4. 4. Quality of Production

• I would pay more for a properly centered comic
    • I would pay more for a comic with proper registration
    • I would pay more for a comic with straight staples
    • I wouldn't pay more for any Quality of Production issues
  5. 5. Pedigreed Comics

• I would pay more for a Pedigreed Comic
    • I wouldn't pay more for a Pedigreed Comic
    • I would only pay more for certain Pedigrees (e.g. Church/Okajima)

40 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, thunsicker said:

But since they aren’t a focus of my collection getting one from an uninformed seller would neither make me lucky nor unlucky.

hm

What's the first thing your mate would say to you if you told him you'd snagged a rare 35cv that commands hundreds of dollars for a few bucks? Would it be:

A) you lucky b:censored:

Or

B) I recognise no element of good fortune in that transaction thunsicker, my friend, as I know the book is not a focus of your collecting habits

:bigsmile:

P.S. Australian Price Variants seemed to have skyrocketed in value overnight. It's almost like someone encouraged the universe to put a hoodoo on me or something :tonofbricks:

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

hm

What's the first thing your mate would say to you if you told him you'd snagged a rare 35cv that commands hundreds of dollars for a few bucks? Would it be:

A) you lucky b:censored:

Or

B) I recognise no element of good fortune in that transaction thunsicker, my friend, as I know the book is not a focus of your collecting habits

:bigsmile:

P.S. Australian Price Variants seemed to have skyrocketed in value overnight. It's almost like someone encouraged the universe to put a hoodoo on me or something :tonofbricks:

So I have sold maybe half a dozen comic books in my life.  (Well obviously a lot more back when I had my store, but since I sold it maybe half a dozen).  The point is that a 35cv that could be sold for hundreds of dollars isn't going to be sold for hundreds of dollars because I only sell when I've upgraded or when I shift something out of my focus.  It's like when people say to me "Sure, you can't afford any more comics at current prices, but think about how much more your collection is worth!"  It's worth exactly the same to me because I'm not selling.  And therefore it's only the price increases on stuff I'm buying that I see.  So same thing here.  The comic is not being sold, and I value it the same, so that 35cv that commands hundreds of bucks is only worth what it's non 35cv issue brother is worth.

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

So I have sold maybe half a dozen comic books in my life.  (Well obviously a lot more back when I had my store, but since I sold it maybe half a dozen).  The point is that a 35cv that could be sold for hundreds of dollars isn't going to be sold for hundreds of dollars because I only sell when I've upgraded or when I shift something out of my focus.  It's like when people say to me "Sure, you can't afford any more comics at current prices, but think about how much more your collection is worth!"  It's worth exactly the same to me because I'm not selling.  And therefore it's only the price increases on stuff I'm buying that I see.  So same thing here.  The comic is not being sold, and I value it the same, so that 35cv that commands hundreds of bucks is only worth what it's non 35cv issue brother is worth.

Alright then Ted :)

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I didn't know you'd had a store!We need to get closer thunny.

I'm also a never releaser and don't really worry about the value of the collection,besides giving my partner a heads up on certain books,you know,in case....then she wants to sell of course,but....no.So,yeah,my collection is worth the same to me,unless I die lol and a few books that have went up enough that I don't enjoy having them so much...CoC#19,Archie#50-the two dozen ASM 300 newsies :whatthe:-some other silly stuff.

I wont pay more for a CPV,heckums,I live here ffs-but I will seek them out for nostalgia of biking to the corner store days.

Also,no inserts? I see a lot more being mentioned other than the typical Mark Diamond.

I need to know how much extra if any my Marvel Spotlight #5 National Diamond would bring.It may be time.

Also,for peds?A Church or one of that ilk,sure.Mile High 2?No way

And to get famously off topic-Giant Sized X-Men is now fetching silly silly prices.Were there not a pile of those in the MH2?

My wife has had tons of mind blowing items shown to her. I usually get the glaze over look. She has no concept of actual value nor does she care. She is well aware they are worth money. I have spread sheets and a short list of people I actually trust to contact when I go to the big convention in the sky. 

I’m sure that her and my kids will have a new respect when they get that check in their hands...

5 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Your statement, if you're telling the truth, would imply that you'd be willing to trade a 35 cent variant for a 30 cent edition in higher condition because you "value it the same" and you "only sell when you've upgraded".

If you wouldn't trade a 35 cent variant for a 30 cent edition in higher condition, then you do not value them the same.

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I can't edit my answers and the question wasn't on the poll when I took it.

You, you... you rotter

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My wife has had tons of mind blowing items shown to her. I usually get the glaze over look. She has no concept of actual value nor does she care. She is well aware they are worth money. I have spread sheets and a short list of people I actually trust to contact when I go to the big convention in the sky. 

I’m sure that her and my kids will have a new respect when they get that check in their hands...

Same here Bob-yah yah,yes dear..or oh,well,why don't you sell it?Coz the money will go poof and I'll have little to show but a frown.They're just sitting there not hurting anyone.Leave em be till I'm gone!But call this person.Make sure this person gets the call,nbecause I trust them and have asked them.

Not to be morbid but do you have someone in mind to take care of business?

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Your statement, if you're telling the truth, would imply that you'd be willing to trade a 35 cent variant for a 30 cent edition in higher condition because you "value it the same" and you "only sell when you've upgraded".

If you wouldn't trade a 35 cent variant for a 30 cent edition in higher condition, then you do not value them the same.

Incorrect. He wouldn't make that trade because he wouldn't have to since other people value them differently.

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Incorrect. He wouldn't make that trade because he wouldn't have to since other people value them differently.

Right, this is kind of what I was saying above:

Also I'm mostly interest in what you want for your personal collection.  Don't tell me you would pay more for a Canadian Priced comic because you feel you could sell it for more. 

There are plenty of things that I have no interest in collecting that I recognize have value.  But in my permanent collection they don't have any extra value since I don't collect them.  I never meant to imply that any of these things shouldn't imbue value.  If anyone values something more and no one values it less it will intrinsically have more value, even if I'm not the one giving it that value.

16 hours ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Good thing all GA is newsstand. No UPC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

???

You mean good thing GA predates the use of UPCs? Good luck finding a Newsstand edition without a UPC after the practice began.