• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men complete run - to sell or not to sell, that is the question. Advice/suggestions welcome
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Just to get it out the way, I am a collector first, not a speculator.  However, with my thought being "I have to sell it at some point" and "strike while the iron is hot", I am seriously considering selling my X-Men 1-250 run.  The comic book (selling) market seems to be at an all time high, especially when it comes to X-Men.  Prices realized seem to be going up, up...

So is now a good time to part with the run?  Will prices keep going up even after all the movie spec?  Or will the bottom drop out at some point here in the near future?  

Your thoughts, advice and suggestions are welcome!

I have no idea, but good luck.

Do you need the money for something urgently? Are you retired/ready to travel/something similar, etc?

With the way the entire X-Men run has exploded and keeps going up, I can see it being tough to justify hanging on to it much longer.

I'm only halfway through collecting the silver and bronze age run, le sigh

No, don't really need the money for anything. I would just take the proceeds and purchase my holy grail. You hit the nail on the head with my thoughts; I think it might be hard to justify hanging on to them eventually...especially if the sold prices start to drop.

3 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I have no idea, but good luck.

Do you need the money for something urgently? Are you retired/ready to travel/something similar, etc?

With the way the entire X-Men run has exploded and keeps going up, I can see it being tough to justify hanging on to it much longer.

I'm only halfway through collecting the silver and bronze age run, le sigh

3 minutes ago, Badlands said:

No, don't really need the money for anything. I would just take the proceeds and purchase my holy grail. You hit the nail on the head with my thoughts; I think it might be hard to justify hanging on to them eventually...especially if the sold prices start to drop.

Is the grail you’re after rising in price at a significant rate as well?  If it isn’t, I’d let the X-books cook a while longer.  

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is the grail you’re after rising in price at a significant rate as well?  If it isn’t, I’d let the X-books cook a while longer.  

Not sure to be honest. I never really considered picking my grail book up because it's been out of reach. However if I sell the run I can pick it up. 

(For reference see my "holy grail?" thread. It's Sub-Mariner #1, CGC 5.5 currently listed at $26k.)

once you sell it, then what? what u gonna do with that money? ...start another collection? 

most people rush through collecting, hoping to 'collect them all', reach the finish the line, brag for a while, then they get confused what's next??

part of the collecting is the journey, do something fun with your collection, display them, upgrade them, make them part of your life, let say decorate your room/home with your collection as the center-piece, branch out a little maybe collect X-Men figures, etc

4 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Not sure to be honest. I never really considered picking my grail book up because it's been out of reach. However if I sell the run I can pick it up. 

(For reference see my "holy grail?" thread. It's Sub-Mariner #1, CGC 5.5 currently listed at $26k.)

At its current rate of increase, you may soon be able to straight trade your X-men 1 for it :grin:

I’ve been contemplating the same thing myself , I have a handful of full runs and they are starting to take up a lot of space . I think I’ll probably start offloading the ones I haven’t completed , but offloading a good amount of issues is easier said then done . The keys always sell though . In regards to X-men , out of 544 issues I’m missing about 12 . I always wanted to finish and sell it as complete . But I have to finish first .

3 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

once you sell it, then what? what u gonna do with that money? ...start another collection? 

most people rush through collecting, hoping to 'collect them all', reach the finish the line, brag for a while, then they get confused what's next??

part of the collecting is the journey, do something fun with your collection, display them, upgrade them, make them part of your life, let say decorate your room/home with your collection as the center-piece, branch out a little maybe collect X-Men figures, etc

This.  Totally depends on what you're going to use the money for.  And this has also been my reaction to all the doom and gloomers about the "bubble" and how it's going to burst.  Well, okay, but what are you going to do with the money?  If you're going to use it to buy a house or save a life or something, sure, cash out.  But just selling, to see your bank account be a little bit higher, hoping that there's a crash so you can buy the same stuff again, for lower, later?  Pfftt.

12 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

This.  Totally depends on what you're going to use the money for.  And this has also been my reaction to all the doom and gloomers about the "bubble" and how it's going to burst.  Well, okay, but what are you going to do with the money?  If you're going to use it to buy a house or save a life or something, sure, cash out.  But just selling, to see your bank account be a little bit higher, hoping that there's a crash so you can buy the same stuff again, for lower, later?  Pfftt.

Spoiler

He’s buying his grail book:gossip:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER