• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things that make you go hmmmmm..Famous First Editions....
2 2

6 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, eccomic said:

This type of scam has gone on for so long.. just sad.. :facepalm:

I doubt they are reselling them over and over, more like just relisting them after no one buys them. They have good feedback so I doubt they are pulling that scam. It also clearly state that they are reprints and large size so they aren't hiding anything. They of course are hoping someone falls for it and buys these worthless things and then they can say they said they said were reprints so they did nothing unethical. If someone is stupid enough to buy these then that's their problem.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, catman76 said:

I doubt they are reselling them over and over, more like just relisting them after no one buys them. They have good feedback so I doubt they are pulling that scam. It also clearly state that they are reprints and large size so they aren't hiding anything. They of course are hoping someone falls for it and buys these worthless things and then they can say they said they said were reprints so they did nothing unethical. If someone is stupid enough to buy these then that's their problem.

Their selling history indicates this lot was actually BINned several times over the weekend, and initially they were not listed as reprints. My guess is buyers jumped on the lot just in case it was real and then backed out after ascertaining they were indeed beat up FFE copies, and informed the seller they were reprints, which he eventually acknowledged in relistings. They were back up for sale within hours of being "sold", so I doubt anyone was really foolish enough to complete the sale. If immediate payment isn't required, ebay will list an item as being sold prior to payment being sent, and it will remain that way even after the sale has been cancelled.  The seller appears to sell mostly outboard motor parts and perhaps doesn't really realize how worthless they actually are, or at least is slow to accept they didn't have quite the find they thought.

Could also just be a way to accept payment for illicit services/goods.

Just look at Disney VHS and sort by sold highest. You will see many transactions that make zero sense,  unless there is other things involved.

Thanks God this is more easy to catch now a days. It was before my time, but I've heard the horror stories how in the what, 80's and 90's people definitely got duped thinking they bought a legit copy of a major grail, only to discover it was the FFE reprint later on.