• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brazilian Action Comics #1 from 1938
2 2

33 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, The_Captain said:

Very cool! I like that they preferred putting Zatara on the cover, over Superman. I wonder why, though. 

They rotated the features every 3 comics it looks like, so I don't think Superman was in that issue.

Also.... you need to remember that even DC put Zatara instead of Superman on 2 issues of Action Comics (12 & 14)

So.... If you want the complete Action Comics 1 story of ZATARA they start in Dec of 1938......

Gazetinha #s 446, 449, 452, 455, 458, 461, 464, 467, 470, & 473

Each issue ran about 1-1/4 pages of the Zatara story from action 1 (which was a long story).

Edited by gadzukes

Superman was "Ciclone" when he first appeared in Italy in July 1939.

https://www.giornalepop.it/ciclone-superman/

In France and Belgium, he had quite a lot of names, the weirdest one being Yordi.

https://www.retronews.fr/sports-et-loisirs/long-format/2020/12/07/quand-superman-arrivait-en-france

Funfact, when the war broke out, it no longer became possible to access the original material, so publishers had local artists draw and write Superman adventures for the European readers.

11 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Dug a little deeper into the pile....

Gazeta 446 from Dec 20 1938 has the first page from Action 1 from the Chuck Dawson Story & the Zatara Story.

And as a BONUS the cover to the Supplement has Zatara with panels from Action 1.

Using GCD I believe that this is the 3rd Cover appearance of Zatara EVER, US or Foreign (Action 12 & 14 are the first)

IMG_4896.jpeg

Action #12 was cover dated May 1939.  That's simply the first Zatara cover, full stop.

These are so cool!  I'm not sure I would consider these "reprints" as they only printed the black plates and not the colors.  I love seeing the B&W pages.