• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con in NJ 4/18/21! Who’s going?
1 1

128 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I asked the question in light of the fact that Big Apple Con in April has been cancelled and moved to July,  Granted NYC is not New Jersey and it's a comic con not an original art con BUT the two states are so linked in that area that it prompted the question.

I was being sarcastic. I'm sure the comment won't last long and I'll be on "vacation" from posting again soon. There's no shortage of The Humorless in 2021. By all means though, FL SD TX (and now NH) should have as many conventions this year as they can handle :) , even if just the quickie old school one day dealios at the local Best Western. Wannabe promoters...get to bookin'! The fearless (aka rational?) will come, even from afar.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I asked the question in light of the fact that Big Apple Con in April has been cancelled and moved to July,  Granted NYC is not New Jersey and it's a comic con not an original art con BUT the two states are so linked in that area that it prompted the question.

Big space,,, they have been having monthly comic shows there throughout the pandemic.. no issues at all . NYC is a whole different monster 

Hello!  Have long considered getting into this hobby, and saw the show mentioned  happening tomorrow.  I’ve always enjoyed seeing admiring original art at occasional shows and places like Geppi’s museum.  I’ve been a consistent comic fan for 33 years.  
Two questions, I was hoping previous attendees wouldn’t mind answering:

1) I saw someone mentioned they will have art under $1k on sale, will there be much available in that range?  That’s more in keeping with my budget I’m afraid.  I realize the art would be commensurate with the price, just curious of inventory.

2) Are casually interested fans excited to just see the gathered art welcome, or at least tolerated, lol.  I know some hobby’s have some gatekeeping or lack of patience for “casuals”.

17 minutes ago, Sean- said:

Hello!  Have long considered getting into this hobby, and saw the show mentioned  happening tomorrow.  I’ve always enjoyed seeing admiring original art at occasional shows and places like Geppi’s museum.  I’ve been a consistent comic fan for 33 years.  

1) I saw someone mentioned they will have art under $1k on sale, will there be much available in that range?  That’s more in keeping with my budget I’m afraid.  I realize the art would be commensurate with the price, just curious of inventory.

2) Are casually interested fans excited to just see the gathered art welcome, or at least tolerated, lol.  I know some hobby’s have some gatekeeping or lack of patience for “casuals”.

1) yes, there will be dealers of all shapes and sizes, you can try Anthony Snyder for lower end superhero art. Just don't expect a ton of conversation. ;-)

2) yes, you can go and not buy a thing and no one will care or even notice. if I go, probably not but maybe, I won't likely buy anything but will be there an hour or so looking at the groovy art.

3) take pictures and post them here if you do go! try to id dealers if you are able in the photos! people go cuss over them

Edited by Bird

24 minutes ago, Sean- said:

I will have a full folio of art under $1k each. Including many X-men related pages!

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

The room is very open and you have a max of 100 people attending through the entire day. Joe and his team do a good job to keep an eye on the number of people and masks are mandatory.

1 hour ago, Sean- said:

Yes!! All price ranges! I’m even bringing some stuff to sell on @ankurj table

and it’s fun even is you don’t buy 

3 hours ago, Sean- said:

Occasionals are welcome, and we are actually happy to have more join the party. 

While there will be art for under $1K, be warned--how do I say this politely-- that different dealers have different approaches to "mark-up" (The name Donnelly should ring a bell here, but to a lesser extent, some others can be pretty stiff on pricing). Art is unique, and prices for art also vary by subject, and book, for the same artist (as well as pencller/inker combinations). Anthony's is a safe choice. Just be prepared to wade through a lot of books and pages of mediocre stuff to find a gem.

A lot of art changes hands for under $1,000. Probably most of it changes hands under $2,000 (if not $1,000).

In my view, the price of art is not commensurate with quality (which is pretty subjective anyway). It is more commensurate with nostalgia and the fan base for the artist--which is good for you if you aren't driven by those criteria. Not to say there is no quality criteria at work; there is, it is just not proportional to price.