• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con in NJ 4/18/21! Who’s going?
1 1

128 posts in this topic

Had a good time.  Noticed that quite a few dealers had art there not listed on their websites.

Got to meet Ankur and Jay, great guys!  And even got a piece from Ankur. :smile:

This was the first show I attended since the pandemic, it was nice to get out and go to something like this!

14 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

I went a few years back. What struck me was after the show everyone bolted. I wanted to hang an get to know some of my online friends better.  A couple of us hung out and chatted for an hour or so, but that was it. 

For the regulars- Is Saturday night the night to hang at the bar and talk art? Maybe I just missed it by a night.

Over the last few years when it was at the Holiday Inn I would organize a dinner the night before at Gabriel’s which was attached to the hotel and next to the convention room (oddly enough the room would be used as a comedy club the night before the show).  It would be for 4-7 people and random walk-ups who stayed at the hotel the night before.

In the afternoon of the show many of us would sometimes would have lunch either on-site or nearby. 

That and the hanging out part were always some of my favorite parts of the show experience. Hoping we do that again soon. Not having Gabriel’s literally right there will be a challenge but I’m sure we can work something out.

Edited by zhamlau

2 hours ago, Sean- said:

My only purchase was a page from Beasts of Burden, thought it was reasonably priced and I am a big fan of the series.  Happy to have it as my first piece of original art. 

4D36C234-0F7A-454F-B3AF-B78481B38E5E.jpeg

I’m not familiar with that book, but now I want to be. Lol

3 hours ago, Sean- said:

Had a really great time at the con.  It was truly an overwhelming experience.  As mentioned before my only brushes with OA were as museum pieces so getting to see works by artists I’ve admired most of my life up close in personal in that way was not something I thought I’d experience.  There were no hard sells or inferences of judgment on window shopping that I was afraid of experiencing whatsoever.  Nice to meet Ankur.  Definitely intend to be back in September.  My only purchase was a page from Beasts of Burden, thought it was reasonably priced and I am a big fan of the series.  Happy to have it as my first piece of original art. I’m sorry about the lack of photos, I took a few at first, but honestly became a bit lost in the experience.

8417C7B0-2B13-4B63-BA9C-37446BD4C9C6.jpeg

482E95D2-65F1-44EA-9D38-325CA60F3499.jpeg

AD58E3D9-0BDD-484A-A2D9-B8B7BEAC0858.jpeg

4D36C234-0F7A-454F-B3AF-B78481B38E5E.jpeg

Really nice Scottish Terrier! I'm a Golden Retriever guy now, but I grew up with multiple Scotties and they are a cool breed. Looks like a great comic too!

So, general question: why don’t dealers regularly provide some inexpensive bags to protect the stuff they sell? I do have a portfolio bag, but it’s awkward to carry around and I usually leave it in my car unless I really need it (like at NY Comicon). I’m also a bit nervous of damage if I carry art loose (or something loose may fall off). Heck, I’d even pay for a bag if it were available.

50 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, general question: why don’t dealers regularly provide some inexpensive bags to protect the stuff they sell?

Or...why doesn't Rolex provides a Brinks ride back to your house after in-store purchase?

Answer: because they don't have to.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, general question: why don’t dealers regularly provide some inexpensive bags to protect the stuff they sell? I do have a portfolio bag, but it’s awkward to carry around and I usually leave it in my car unless I really need it (like at NY Comicon). I’m also a bit nervous of damage if I carry art loose (or something loose may fall off). Heck, I’d even pay for a bag if it were available.

I gave you a bag AND a board :foryou:

I sold a few pieces, I provide nothing. But my defense is my prices are great and I just was selling/trading out of a portfolio. I don’t bother providing stuff cause I assume everyone there has “protection” too.