• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con in NJ 4/18/21! Who’s going?
1 1

128 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Sean- said:

Had a really great time at the con.  It was truly an overwhelming experience.  As mentioned before my only brushes with OA were as museum pieces so getting to see works by artists I’ve admired most of my life up close in personal in that way was not something I thought I’d experience.  There were no hard sells or inferences of judgment on window shopping that I was afraid of experiencing whatsoever.  Nice to meet Ankur.  Definitely intend to be back in September.  My only purchase was a page from Beasts of Burden, thought it was reasonably priced and I am a big fan of the series.  Happy to have it as my first piece of original art. I’m sorry about the lack of photos, I took a few at first, but honestly became a bit lost in the experience.

8417C7B0-2B13-4B63-BA9C-37446BD4C9C6.jpeg

482E95D2-65F1-44EA-9D38-325CA60F3499.jpeg

AD58E3D9-0BDD-484A-A2D9-B8B7BEAC0858.jpeg

4D36C234-0F7A-454F-B3AF-B78481B38E5E.jpeg

I’m glad you had a good time and that you walked away with something. You won’t regret it. 

That Wolverine/Venom by Sam Kieth is an eBay auction piece. Does anyone recall the seller?

4 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I gave you a bag AND a board :foryou:

I know, and kudos to you.👍 It should be standard practice. Someone spends, say, $500, and the dealer can’t provide a bag? My supermarket does (at least for now). And those purchases aren’t nearly as expensive. Heritage does, and it only gets 21% of the purchase price, plus shipping and handling. 

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I sold a few pieces, I provide nothing. But my defense is my prices are great and I just was selling/trading out of a portfolio. I don’t bother providing stuff cause I assume everyone there has “protection” too.

Then why were people walking around with loose art? Besides, we’re not talking Mylar. Just a lousy bag. You can even imprint your name on it and get free advertising. Dark Horse has been getting plenty of free advertising from me (which is a much better bag than I have in mind). What could be the price? 40 cents?

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then why were people walking around with loose art? Besides, we’re not talking Mylar. Just a lousy bag. You can even imprint your name on it and get free advertising. Dark Horse has been getting plenty of free advertising from me (which is a much better bag than I have in mind). What could be the price? 40 cents?

Meh, this ain’t Price Chopper. It’s a highly specialized and expensive unregulated tiny niche market that you already had to know a lot about to even have heard of this show, let alone attend it for the 10 total hours it’s open every year.

IMO It’s really on you (and me as we are both buyers) to come prepared. If I see a dealer pull out reams of art sized bags (let alone logo emblazoned ones) and other fancy and costly advertising/promotional material I know I would personally get wary that they are looking to inflate their prices by making the experience a little more “upscale”.

I’m there to buy the steak. I don’t need to also chip in to cover the sizzle, you know? 

4 hours ago, steve9999 said:

Can someone provide info for the dealer who had the FF page in the portfolio?

7D1106F9-E8C9-4E77-BCE8-359FE2A5D1AE.jpeg

It wasn't a dealer, and he isn't on CAF as far as I know.

9 hours ago, John E. said:

I’m glad you had a good time and that you walked away with something. You won’t regret it. 

That Wolverine/Venom by Sam Kieth is an eBay auction piece. Does anyone recall the seller?

That Vault of Horror cover is on Albert's site, so I'd assume he either owns or was consigned the Kieth.

8 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

My local art shop sells packs of 100 archival bags for $22. I bought a pack before the show but also made sure all of my standard size pieces were in bags. You're right Rick, little things make a difference.

This one. ! 

5 hours ago, thethedew said:

You can order your own, like Big Boys!

Clearbags

Or, even better, invest in an Itoya or two!  Bring 'em with ya to shows, like all the Cool Kids are doing nowadays.

That’s $21.98 for 100 of them, plus tax and shipping. Roughly 25 cents per bag.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That’s $21.98 for 100 of them, plus tax and shipping. Roughly 25 cents per bag.

Find a friend (maybe in a nearby tax free state...) to split 1,000 with?

Order Summary

Original Price $219.80
Bulk Discount -$42.70
Subtotal $177.10
ShippingEconomy - Economy - (usually arrives within 10 days) $9.41
Order Total $186.51