• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm opening a Comic For View service for Big Ticket keys.  Much like owning shares you can buy "views" and look lovingly on the books you can no longer afford.  $9.99/month,  unlimited viewing.

:jokealert:

Make sure that new 9.8 White Pages Hulk 181 you just added to your site is part of the service and I'll think about it.

7 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Im out. For now I have transitioned from grailhunt to select, small, non key, low cost, runs with art I love.

when the crypto dudes decide to move on I will come back.

You have summed up my thinking perfectly.

I'm a completist, and until now my plan has been to buy the keys as I can afford them and then go back and fill in the less expensive issues when my comic book budget is a little smaller. I'm starting to flip that -script and fill in gaps wherever I can find books in the condition I want that have stayed close to their 2020 GPA prices.

Like you, I'll switch back into grail mode after the pump and dump speculators have had their way with our hobby. I do believe that this will be a passing fad for the "crypto dudes" and as long we don't follow their lead and dance to their tune these prices won't set and harden.

(Now do I think everything will drop right back to 2019-2020 prices? Eh, not really.)

13 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I've lucked into a good spot where I basically already stopped buying a little over a year ago. Not due to the market, but because I've reached my main collecting goals. I acquired a handful of silver age grails and the runs to follow them. One thing I'm looking at is JIM 83 so that does suck in today's market. I was planning to swap out my TTA keys (1st Ant Man, 1st/2nd Wasp, and others) but I can't even figure it out out anymore with the unrealistic fluctuating prices. 

Not sure what grades those TTA books are in, but I might be interested.

23 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I've lucked into a good spot where I basically already stopped buying a little over a year ago. Not due to the market, but because I've reached my main collecting goals. I acquired a handful of silver age grails and the runs to follow them. One thing I'm looking at is JIM 83 so that does suck in today's market. I was planning to swap out my TTA keys (1st Ant Man, 1st/2nd Wasp, and others) but I can't even figure it out out anymore with the unrealistic fluctuating prices. 

Not sure what grades those TTA books are in, but I might be interested.

Me too!

2 hours ago, Off Panel said:

Could I end up regretting it? Sure. If that Hulk 180 I was looking at goes from $10,000 in 2020 to $30,000 in 2121 to $60,000 in 2022, then I will have missed the boat. However, at that point, this will likely be a hobby I can no longer afford anyway, at least not the way I have enjoyed it in the past.

So, what about the rest of you? Are you swimming with the sharks or eating popcorn on the sidelines?

I was fortunate to purchase my keys by the middle of last summer. I would still like to get a mid-grade copy of TtA #44, but I am willing to wait on this issue. I am currently making time payments for a Batman #47 CGC 5.0.

As for the rest of my want list, I have done quite well staying focused on my priorities. Here's are my 2021 want list priorities.

Amazing Spider-Man #7 CGC 5.0 - 6.0
Batman #47 CGC 1.5 - 2.5
Brave and the Bold #35 - #36 CGC 7.0
Daredevil #4 CGC 6.0 or higher

Fantastic Four #13 CGC 4.0
Fantastic Four #50 CGC 6.5
Flash #113 CGC 6.5 or higher
Four Color #178 CGC 2.0 - 4.0

Showcase #6 CGC 2.0 - 4.0
Showcase #23 Raw (VG)

Showcase #35 - #36 CGC 7.0

Due to my progress, I am now adding Batman #171, Batman #189, and Strange Tales #101 to my list. I sold my JiM #85 to help pay for my AF #15; I would like to be able to go back in time to undo that decision. I would like to get another JiM #85, but I'm not paying $3,400 for a CGC 3.0 issue. That's freaking ridiculous.

So, I know it will be difficult, but I am going to do my best to stay focused on the priorities on my want list. In all honesty, I foresee spending more on grading for the rest of the year than I plan on buying back issues.

Edited by Math Teacher

I’m out for the big Marvel SA keys as well. I can’t afford any without selling big chunks of my collection I’ve worked years in acquiring. I’m happy where I’m at despite having to put some grail hopes aside.

For now I’ll focus on buying DC keys and some lower tier Marvel books that haven’t exploded.

I’ve chilled out quite a bit with the exception of a few golden age deals or under the radar keys; seems like people forget about certain books when their attention is grabbed by a Disney+ appearance. There are still steals and deals out there. Just takes a little more work to find them