• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

Lots of people forget the "current insanity" (some might argue the market is behaving rationally, but that's another discussion) is generally focused on Marvels, Marvels, Marvels and, to a lesser degree, Batman.  Anything else (generally speaking) that is DC is flat to modest growth.  There are a lot of good deals out there to be had, right now.  Hunt, don't follow.

Pin on Movies

49 minutes ago, zosocane said:

Lots of people forget the "current insanity" (some might argue the market is behaving rationally, but that's another discussion) is generally focused on Marvels, Marvels, Marvels and, to a lesser degree, Batman.  Anything else (generally speaking) that is DC is flat to modest growth.  There are a lot of good deals out there to be had, right now.  Hunt, don't follow.

Pin on Movies

I've said it many times, but DC's can be had for a song in comparison to Marvel's. You can get many low-grade SA DC 1st appearance for a couple hundred bucks, sometimes less. Metal Men, Atom, Hawkman, etc 

43 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I've said it many times, but DC's can be had for a song in comparison to Marvel's. You can get many low-grade SA DC 1st appearance for a couple hundred bucks, sometimes less. Metal Men, Atom, Hawkman, etc 

Exactly.  Folks can't say today that they're priced out of an Action 252 or a Showcase 22.  But not just DCs, lots of nice GA and Atomic Age books haven't been swept up by this Marvel madness of the last ~ 90 days.

14 minutes ago, zosocane said:

Exactly.  Folks can't say today that they're priced out of an Action 252 or a Showcase 22.  But not just DCs, lots of nice GA and Atomic Age books haven't been swept up by this Marvel madness of the last ~ 90 days.

Well, a pretty bad looking showcase 22 is still in the $1500-2000 range, but that isn't because of anything recent. Action 252 is about half that, true. The showcase 22 is around the same price as a strange tales 110. I don't know what the census says, but it does seem like GL is a bigger character and should be more than Dr. Strange, although not based on recent movie appearances. 

6 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

RE your question about crypto buyers ... Yes we do have evidence of other hobbyists eg. Card collectors entering our markets at higher price points. There is a good thread in Modern that challenges some old guard assumptions RE price vs popcount. We don't have specific evidence of a crypto buyer yet, but it supports the general theory that part of the runup during pandemic is due to other hobbyists entering comics speculation. 

RE... Your quote above. The thread in Modern does establishes the idea that the new guard doesn't care for the old guards rules. And that's probably true. And power to them for collecting in the manner they choose. If they drive up NM 98 to prices that are unaffordable to me then it is on me for not buying and holding sooner. And I admire your optimism even if I cannot fully share it. 

:preach:  But I remember the bubble bursting once before. I remember my high grade raw, Pre-Unity Valiants being worthless for 15 years and 3 crosscountry moves. Valiant was partially blamed for the crash, the books were almost pariahs. It wasn't until the Valiant boards and the seismic shift that was CGC c early 2000s that high grade was really cool and oh hey Valiant is cool again. Miles Morales is cool, Deadpool, Harleybut there's going to come a time when he's not cool anymore or there's some other unforeseen pitfall that drives the value of ones collection down. And I'll be there, steady picking.

But I don't know that's why I put up the old guy emogi. I was hearing some depression era stories about my grandparents the other day and thinking 'you can leave the depression era but the depression era doesn't leave you.'

Reminds me of when I collected sports cards and this was the one to own along with the donruss and fleers if you could find them. Seems like now, only the gem mint ones have any real value

2E55E882-643F-4131-874E-A7054A25173B.jpeg

Edited by B2D327

I loved Donny. Too bad he missed the big show by one year.

Back on topic...no crypto for me, but I am a buyer today.

I used to own all the Marvel keys and let them go a while back to fund other investments. No regrets at all for having owned and sold them (well, maybe I could have kept one of the AF15s). My oldest is graduating college in a couple of months, so she moved home and I sold the rental property she was living in. Now I'm looking to re-purchase of some of those books I sold.

Generally, most investors I speak with are in some type of buying mood. One guy I ride with just bought a $10K bike (bicycle, not motorcycle) just because the weather turned nice. Stocks and real estate have done well the past year.

20 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Which ones of those 22 books are you still missing?

Thanks for asking -- I do not yet have XM 1, Avengers 1, TOS 52 and 57, FF 4 and 48, Sgt. Fury 1, and Marvel Super-Heroes 12.  If anyone has a beautiful white-paged copy of these for sale, let me know! :foryou:

Dan

9 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Unless “comics” means guns, four-wheelers, more guns, condos in Myrtle Beach, a 100,000 truck where you finance the insurance, and tax, tag, and title, and some guns, it’s not them.

I feel like you just described some of my kin folk..

I buy every week from MCS and a couple online sellers and my perspective is informed by the fact that if I ever do plan to re-sell my collection, it's likely not gonna be for another decade or two. I only hear about some trends here, or what I see for specific books, and if anything seems too inflated I ignore it, conscious that it could be temporary, and find something else to buy. Plenty of Silver/Bronze age books that fit my budget to get in the meantime!

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Well, a pretty bad looking showcase 22 is still in the $1500-2000 range, but that isn't because of anything recent. Action 252 is about half that, true. The showcase 22 is around the same price as a strange tales 110. I don't know what the census says, but it does seem like GL is a bigger character and should be more than Dr. Strange, although not based on recent movie appearances. 

I just took a look, and a SC 22 in 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 have been generally flat since 2017 (some ups and downs, but on balance flat growth).  Of course, 2017 is when the disastrous Justice League was released, and the DCEU basically crashed and burned, with no organized effort from WB/DC to replace it with a new overall vision.  By contrast, ST 110 has surged dramatically because of Wanda-Vision.  Interesting how a little attention can result in sudden price increases.  

Edited by zosocane

28 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Monica Rambeaux was a $1 bin book for close to 30 years until it became the new “grail” :roflmao:

Do you know how many Avengers Annuals 10s I picked out of $1-2 boxes over the years? And Rogue was a big character the whole time.

Luckily I bought the keys for the runs I really wanted before this spike upwards. My plan is to fill in my early Dr Strange run through 183 (1969) and then I still get to pursue about half of the books in the first defenders run. The only thing this has changed for me is X-Men and ASM, I don't want to start something I might have to stretch myself for later and with this shift that would be a real concern and possibly not as enjoyable. On the plus side I had picked up low grade copies of ASM 4,6,9,13,15,20,31 and 42 before all of this craziness so now I might get to move them to grab a really nice copy of Strange 169. Positives and negatives with all of this :) 

4 hours ago, innocuous said:

Generally, most investors I speak with are in some type of buying mood. One guy I ride with just bought a $10K bike (bicycle, not motorcycle) just because the weather turned nice. Stocks and real estate have done well the past year.

I have 20+ bicycles including a couple team bikes. I contemplated buying an Eddy Merckx Paris-Roubaix bike earlier this year that would have been well north of your friends bike. It would not have been ridden regularly, but I would have had to ride it at least once. Competition can be fierce for the right bike. There is money sloshing around every where.