• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Math Teacher said:

OK. I am going to try to figure these out. I restricted myself to the SA. If I hadn't, I would add IH #181, GSXM #1, ASM #300, XM #94, XM #101, ASM #361, ToD #10, ASM #129, Conan #1, among others.

01) FF #1
02) IH #1
03) AF #15
04) ASM #1
05) TtA #27
06) XM #1
06) ToS #39
07) JiM #83
08) ST #110
09) Avengers #1
10) DD #1
11) FF #5
12) FF #48
13) ASM #14
14) Sgt. Fury #1
15) TtA #44
16) ASM #3
17) ASM #50
18) JiM #85
19) Avengers #4
20) FF #4
21) FF #52
22) IM #55
23) TtA #13
24) ToS #52
25) ASM Annual #1

I know this is more than 22, but how close was I?

Good thing I have all except 24 of them.

18 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Good thing I have all except 24 of them.

There are just two books on that list I'm still looking for, one of which is probably the least sought after in the list and another that has traditionally been thought of as a bit lower tier but is getting more attention of late.

So now that prices for some books are in the stratosphere and you own some of these, is anyone thinking about cashing in now while the "going is good" so to speak? ...and go on that dream vacation (.when Covid goes away (If it goes away), get that new car,  buy the dream house you've always wanted...etc... 

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

The next new service I'm launching will be the "Shilly max extension" to sell to the auction houses.  The extension will work so that no matter what you bid you will continue to get outbid. 

Based on a few auctions I have been in, I think they already have that program. I had one "well no one will bid this much" bid placed, then immediate outbid notice....

Edited by PKJ

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

All joking a salad, I actually do like Hawkman, but then again I do like cheesy old SA DC's.

Yes, #4 suffers the same fate as Strange Tales 110, with the major first appearance not being on the cover. Still a cool book, though!

Murphy Anderson's artwork on those early Hawkman issues is also pretty sweet...that's what originally attracted me to them when I bought beater copies as a kid.

I now have a nice run of issues #1-20, which was my collecting goal for this title (for some reason I have no incentive to get the last seven issues lol).

I've been priced out of the market for the bigger keys for at least 20 years as it is.  (shrug)  I definitely regret many purchases that I did not make back in the 90s, though - looking back, they would have been well worth the credit card debt at the time.  :whistle:

I've always been more of a run collector, anyway, so it's nice to see some formerly $2 comic suddenly spike due to movie madness, but it's also painful to see some former drek that I sold for next to nothing spike, as well.  I stopped selling my comics a while back because every time I sold something, it would inevitably spike in price ridiculously within the next couple of years. :censored:

Now I just focus on the modern books I still collect and try to fill in gaps in my runs whenever I can find decent high-grade copies cheaply.  Most of that is still pretty cheap drek that the key collectors ignore. (thumbsu

I have 6 on the list, probably not looking to sell because I couldn't replace them, even though mine are the lower value ones.

Still I'm thinking my 6 years back in the game is still too soon to think about selling in any kind of bulk or high value position.

I only recently transitioned from "own more books!" to "Buy stuff that makes me happy". So I've been slowly selling off old parts of my collection that I don't care about anymore, etc..  

I have jumped feet first in to some of the craziness. Bought a few Silver and Modern keys at probably inflated prices. But, they did match up to the "Buy stuff that makes me happy" credo, so I don't feel too bad about it. Now that I've snagged a few of the keys I wanted (ST 110, ASM 361, BA 12, etc..) I've scaled back on the major buying to focus on selling off the stuff I just plain don't want and building up money for maybe a bigger book or two. Or a run of artists work, if that strikes my fancy.

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

Based on a few auctions I have been in, I think they already have that program. I had one "well no one will bid this much" bid placed, then immediate outbid notice....

I was just about to say the same. They have full control of their auctioning system, let's just say it is highly plausible that it is baked into their system. (shrug)

Edited by ComicsAndCode

37 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

Murphy Anderson's artwork on those early Hawkman issues is also pretty sweet...that's what originally attracted me to them when I bought beater copies as a kid.

I now have a nice run of issues #1-20, which was my collecting goal for this title (for some reason I have no incentive to get the last seven issues lol).

Murphy Anderson is one of my all-time favorite artists. This was why I started collecting Hawkman in the first place.

59 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I have given up buying high grade books years ago, I just could not afford it anymore. So now I buy low grade unless I see a good deal on a high grade book. The market change will affect me because the key books I want, even in low grade will probably now be unreachable for me.

Yeah, I mainly stick with Low grade for a lot of keys because higher grade ones are out of reach now. 

42 minutes ago, valiantman said:
7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

All joking a salad, I actually do like Hawkman, but then again I do like cheesy old SA DC's.

How was lunch? 

I noticed that toooglarone