• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

The current market makes ZERO sense to me.

We’re seeing unprecedented price hikes across the board for no real reason, other than it seems like people outside of the comic book realm have ventured into this territory, and are now using sheer speculation to drive up prices. 

I don’t see the current madness being sustainable either. As soon as the people who aren’t collectors jump ship, prices will probably go with them, and a correction will most likely occur.

My plan is to sell my collection as soon as I start to see prices trending downward. It may be a couple of years, but it will happen.

I should be excited knowing that several of the books I own have tripled in value, but I’m actually feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing. It’s just a really, really dumb market right now.

Gone are the days of gradual, healthy growth, and when you could somewhat predict where the market was going. 

Hang onto your dreck, people. 

Edited by Darkowl

10 hours ago, Darkowl said:

My plan is to sell my collection as soon as I start to see prices trending downward. It may be a couple of years, but it will happen.

Timing that is pretty darn hard.  By the time prices actually move down, there is usually a flood of people trying to sell and you can't find any buyers.  

In practice, it is usually better to sell on the way up and accept that you are going miss the top, sometimes by a lot.  

Hulk 181 hasn't exactly been affordable for a long time. But yeah, it was "feasible" for a while until recently

But hey, maybe the market will start appreciating second appearances? Marvel Premiere 16 is cheap. Spotlight 3? She Hulk 2? X-Force 2? The list goes on and on.

Edited by the blob

The amount of low to mid grade 1960s Marvels and DCs that have reached stupid prices in just the last 12 months amazes me so I'm pleased I'm old enough to already have most of what I need. 

On various threads here people talk about "dreck" comics. Anyone care to name and shame some titles/publishers considered "dreck" that are still currently in the dollar boxes so we can all be amazed when those titles start being bagged/boarded/slabbed/hoarded in the future. Or are some comics (Charltons?) so unloved by the masses or produced in such quantities that they'll never have any value even when they are as old as Golden Age comics are now??

Another thought. Will current comics have a reasonable value in a decade or two owing to the much smaller print runs or is every comic produced these days carefully stored away unlike my 1960s comics purchased, swapped between friends and read to death.

PS: I don't consider this title "dreck" but was still amazed to see it selling unslabbed for £20 - £30.

WWCA1.jpg

10 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

The amount of low to mid grade 1960s Marvels and DCs that have reached stupid prices in just the last 12 months amazes me so I'm pleased I'm old enough to already have most of what I need. 

On various threads here people talk about "dreck" comics. Anyone care to name and shame some titles/publishers considered "dreck" that are still currently in the dollar boxes so we can all be amazed when those titles start being bagged/boarded/slabbed/hoarded in the future. Or are some comics (Charltons?) so unloved by the masses or produced in such quantities that they'll never have any value even when they are as old as Golden Age comics are now??

Another thought. Will current comics have a reasonable value in a decade or two owing to the much smaller print runs or is every comic produced these days carefully stored away unlike my 1960s comics purchased, swapped between friends and read to death.

PS: I don't consider this title "dreck" but was still amazed to see it selling unslabbed for £20 - £30.

WWCA1.jpg

GGA cover...

On various threads here people talk about "dreck" comics. Anyone care to name and shame some titles/publishers considered "dreck" that are still currently in the dollar boxes so we can all be amazed when those titles start being bagged/boarded/slabbed/hoarded in the future. 

99% of the books from the last 30 years that do not have a first appearance in them

14 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

I’m in the middle of the madness and I’m just thinking to myself how am I now going to get an X-Men #1 now that the prices have shot up.

you need to knock on the doors of random old ladies and ask if they have comics for sale

12 hours ago, Darkowl said:

The current market makes ZERO sense to me.

We’re seeing unprecedented price hikes across the board for no real reason, other than it seems like people outside of the comic book realm have ventured into this territory, and are now using sheer speculation to drive up prices. 

I don’t see the current madness being sustainable either. As soon as the people who aren’t collectors jump ship, prices will probably go with them, and a correction will most likely occur.

I should be excited knowing that several of the books I own have tripled in value, but I’m actually feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing. It’s just a really, really dumb market right now.

Gone are the days of gradual, healthy growth, and when you could somewhat predict where the market was going. 

Hang onto your dreck, people. 

"across the board" does not mean this .. across the board would mean copies of alpha flight 73 are worth something..they are not. ...but #1 is out of the dollar box now

"across the board" for books considered keys and semi-keys, maybe, but as much stuff has faded as has popped

for example, a lot of these starlin warlocks are no better, maybe lower, than a few years ago, but 179, of course, a copy of which I sold for $7 in November here, has exploded, although at the same time I bought a really nice SS copy for the price raw copies are going for now! (nicest 7.0 I have ever seen): https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=warlock+starlin&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

folks need to stop complaining. sure, the price of the key you want has tripled. but $20 worth of former dollar books can now be sold for $1200, so you can get that key, in a lower grade...

I'm still doing a lot of buying and selling. (More selling.)

Never been a huge buyer from the auction houses so not really concerned there. But there are a lot of VERY poor investments out there to avoid.
Guessing there will be some huge corrections/drops the same way many key sports/non-sports cards have been doing since Feb. and March.

I think you will see many Silver age/Bronze age books dropping just as hard as some of the as the Copper and Modern.
If it follows the card mkt. you will see various books values cut in half or more.

Edited by Rip