• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

I mean, he did die....  So I'd imagine, for a legendary performer like Maradona, that would represent a massive bump in value.

13 minutes ago, october said:

The current market is indeed dumb, but it can get SO MUCH dumber. 

Screenshot c/o Gene in the watercooler. 

These sales are separated by 15 months

1613450059_Maradonabefore.PNG.0830eb83296705d6ba9e51b2f3fc8315.PNG

334218787_Maradonaafter.PNG.1e38d2206b138f92d5d6784671abe7ea.PNG

41 minutes ago, october said:

80x?!? That doesn't seem excessive? I mean, everyone dies at some point. 

Wait til the sellers of a Stan Lee SS book realize this....oh, wait. They already did.

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

How was lunch? :foryou:

I slipped that joke in, in case any other boardies are CBB fans.

A3875A7D-4908-4BE2-B9B6-5638664FA144.png

2 hours ago, the blob said:

you need to knock on the doors of random old ladies and ask if they have comics for sale

There was a copy of XMen 1 that was on local FB marketplace for a few months, late last year. $2k, eventually came down to $1.7k. And I thought long and hard about it. But it was an uggggggggly copy. Cover detached, huge stains and yellowing, etc. I love low grade, but this below even what I’d usually accept.

I definitely should have bought it.

I’m not knocking on doors, but I’m definitely looking locally, because those are the only deals to be had these days. 

I have lots of silver age keys i was planning on holding onto for another 10-15 years, but the prices they are getting now seem outrageous. I don't need the money now so i think ill hold onto them. Hopefully im making the right decision.

9 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Timing that is pretty darn hard.  By the time prices actually move down, there is usually a flood of people trying to sell and you can't find any buyers.  

That’s never been my experience. I suppose if you sleep in too late you’ll miss the opportunity.

45 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Highgradecomics.com is proud to announce the partnership with Shady times Funeral homes.  With the new escalation in prices we are now co-marketing burial plots,  marvel character tombstones and superhero caskets so that you have a place to be buried with the books.  

:jokealert:

True burial vaults, treasures abound, King Tut would look like a pauper!

10 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Which is precisely what I meant. 

Anyway, I see no problem. 10 9.8 copies of X-Men 282 are apparently worth around $5K in this market. $5K gets you a nice mid-grade Hulk 181. Was there ever a scenario where you would not trade 10 super nice copies of X-Men 282 for a mid-grade Hulk 181?

It's like tech companies buying other tech companies using stock that has a 15000 P/E ratio

18 hours ago, the blob said:

you need to knock on the doors of random old ladies and ask if they have comics for sale

It happens.  An 80-year old lady down the street from me had been storing these (and others) in a closet for over 30 years.  Her son had bought them off the newsstand and when he got MS he had to move into a care facility.

20200105_125307.thumb.jpg.446489fc6c9f339acef8b4dc38b43798.jpg

36 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

It happens.  An 80-year old lady down the street from me had been storing these (and others) in a closet for over 30 years.  Her son had bought them off the newsstand and when he got MS he had to move into a care facility.

20200105_125307.thumb.jpg.446489fc6c9f339acef8b4dc38b43798.jpg

my older neighbor gave me copies of ASm 300, ASM 252, and SW #8. She knew they were worth something, but also knew I collected comics. She used to have a deli and for a few years sold comics. they plucked those off the rack and kept them because, probably their kid, said they were worth something. they weren't stored that well, so they were mid-grade, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Superheroes are mainstream now. Gone are the days where superhero comics were just part of niche, geeky community. Now, thanks to Disney, everyone wants to be part of superhero movies/shows. Because that's the only ones that making money, the only ones that will guaranteed steady pay checks. Every single actor, director, executive, movie staff, etc; want part of the superhero shows, any other show is secondary

As long as that's the case, comics will still be relevant. Love it or hate it, this is the way now...

Edited by IronMan_Cave