• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you replace Lakeside tattoos??
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have lakeside tattoos in a captain america 279.  Was wondering if removing them and pairing with amazing spiderman 238 would be acceptable?  Would that get a blue label or do they have to be attached and original to the book?

It would be detected and given a green label with the note attached for tatooz replaced/married. Not sure if they’ll accept a request for a blue label with a lower grade though but the notation would still be there

There's a great article somewhere online about ASM 238 and the whole matter of Tattooz. IIRC CGC has missed some instances of the tattooz being married, and because of that, among other reasons, many do not believe that copies with the tattooz should fetch a premium, nor the should the books without them be considered incomplete (qualified). I mean, for the longest time the OSPG specifically stated that there was no difference in value between copies with and those without (but it has been changed recently I believe). And please, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't CGC assign a blue label to copies without once upon a time? hm

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

3 hours ago, jim spins said:

I have lakeside tattoos in a captain america 279.  Was wondering if removing them and pairing with amazing spiderman 238 would be acceptable?  Would that get a blue label or do they have to be attached and original to the book?

If your eyeing a 9.8 Qual. 238, I thought the same thing.

Not sure if it would be detectable, but it might. The ASM 238 club in Copper touches on this topic a bit and a master resto guru couldn't pull it off. Might want to check there.

I feel like the reason why people care about the tatooz now compared to years ago when it was listed in guides as having no effect on value, is because CGC and grading companies have gotten much better now than back then at catching this “marriage”.

Omg I wonder what a dbl cover dbl tattooz book would be worth!
Maybe with a dbl Mark Jeweler insert!

3 hours ago, kav said:

I mentioned in another thread something similar.  Although I suggested a multiple cover with both newsstand and direct covers over each other , siamese pages/wraps from a few different issues preferably not matching covers , multiple inserts , but now add tattooz! 

Many people would save copies of FF 252 and donate the tattooz from that issue into copies of ASM 238 that were missing the tattooz.  People have reported that there were instances that CGC would not notice the difference.   

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/amazing-spider-man-238-the-tattooz-situation/

10 hours ago, kav said:

Seriously, why aren't copies without the insert given a green label? The only thing I can think of is that the inclusion of such inserts are not printed on the front cover. 

Also, are graded comics from the '90s that are missing those Overpower or other card inserts given a green label?

8 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I mentioned in another thread something similar.  Although I suggested a multiple cover with both newsstand and direct covers over each other , siamese pages/wraps from a few different issues preferably not matching covers , multiple inserts , but now add tattooz! 

Throw in Wolverine's first cameo on the last page and now you're talking.

On 4/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, kav said:

I wonder how many people marry MJ inserts into other books. I have a lot of Arak and Orion books that don't need them anymore.