• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gccollect/GPA/Covrprice

11 posts in this topic

I know prices for some major keys are insane at the moment, with some sellers seemingly plucking any old figure from out of the air, so are websites like go collect, GPA and covrprice still relevant now?

An example being, I’ve seen one seller offering a minor key book, on a FB comic group, graded at 7.0, for $200 more than one that sold (according to covrprice) in Jan of this year for $750.

Now, I don’t want to name the seller or what book it is, but has this book really shot up $200 in 3 months, or is the seller hedging his/her bets that it will do soon, so is making sure they are not losing out by selling their book for the $750 it last went for, thereby doing themselves out of $200 a bit later?

I guess I could contact the seller and mention covrprice, but I run the risk that this seller could get prissy with me if i start throwing stats at them. I could, maybe, ask if the seller would meet me half way, and lower the price by $100, but then I have a strong moral compass that would say to me, “Hey! There’s a reason for these price comparison sites. Stick to your guns and hold out for the $200 reduction.”

I’m sure I’m not the only collector out there that wishes sellers would just stick to one of the price guides. If their book has gone up, great, sell it and make some kind of profit from it. If the seller checks first, before putting the book out there, and they’ve found they have either lost money on it, or maybe it’s still at the same price as what they bought it for, then don’t sell it!

It gets very frustrating to see a book appear that you want, only to find out that the seller has hiked the price up, and could, potentially, not be interested in making any kind of deal with you for it!

Regards,

Andy

I wasn’t asking if one guide was better than the other - I was asking if these guides were still relevant now, because sellers are now asking whatever they want for their books. Personally, I don’t think these guides are relevant now, because not every seller wants to adhere to the sales listed in them.

I think you would agree, that if sellers priced their books accordingly, they would sell more of them, and more buyers would get the books they want. A win-win situation all round.

When sellers hike up the price of a book, are they just doing that because they’re hoping some collector is gullible/desperate to have that book at any cost, or are they doing it because they’re expecting that particular book to spike soon, so the price their asking now, will be the right price to sell it when it has spiked? It would be nice to think it’s the latter, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if it were the former!

1 minute ago, MARVELous Fan said:

I wasn’t asking if one guide was better than the other - I was asking if these guides were still relevant now, because sellers are now asking whatever they want for their books. Personally, I don’t think these guides are relevant now, because not every seller wants to adhere to the sales listed in them.

I think you would agree, that if sellers priced their books accordingly, they would sell more of them, and more buyers would get the books they want. A win-win situation all round.

When sellers hike up the price of a book, are they just doing that because they’re hoping some collector is gullible/desperate to have that book at any cost, or are they doing it because they’re expecting that particular book to spike soon, so the price their asking now, will be the right price to sell it when it has spiked? It would be nice to think it’s the latter, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if it were the former!

I've noticed that the free info on goCollect is certainly behind for big keys

As an example, Hulk 181 @8.5 was selling for 8500 over the last 2 weeks until the last 2 Ebay sales at 12-12,500  while goCollect lists it at 6750

I think you’re putting too much thought into it

dont expect to educate anyone. Make your offer, be polite, and hope for the best.  If they ask you about your rationale, then politely explain

I feel like GoCollect and that stuff is more useful to you than the seller tbh. If you can see that the books value is $200 less, go find it elsewhere for $200 less, but unfortunately the market is dictated by the sellers and if they're all priced $200 above GPA and GoCollect, those estimators will probably be corrected in a few weeks when those bigger sales numbers start to roll in. 

Anyone know how often Go Collect updates their FMV? Hulk 181 was one that came to mind and also others like X-Men 1 (1963) that seem to adjust almost weekly. For books like that, I've been checking the boards here and then Ebay, etc. 

They are scraping the sites and looking at seller data and then averaging it all out.  It’s probably not that easy to get it updated in real time.

The market is crazy right now - sellers are looking at last sold prices on eBay.  I don’t think your seller on FB is doing anything crazy or unethical - they just know that go collect, GPA etc. are a bit out of date and usually that doesn’t matter but in this kind of market it does matter.

Just ask your questions - I would not be the slightest bit offended if someone asked me this and I had posted something for sale.

A seller can ask whatever they want; if that's not what you want to pay, then move on.  I tend to check last sold prices on eBay for actual market value - that is, what things are actually selling for, not what people hope to get for them.  "Superjumbo #1" might have 10 sellers trying to get $100 bucks for it, but if all the "last sold" listings are around $50, then it's not worth $100 (unless you are, in fact, willing to pay that).  People can TRY to get $100 for it, but the market is saying the current going price is $50.  

7 hours ago, djzombi said:

"Superjumbo #1" might have 10 sellers trying to get $100 bucks for it, but if all the "last sold" listings are around $50, then it's not worth $100 (unless you are, in fact, willing to pay that).  People can TRY to get $100 for it, but the market is saying the current going price is $50.  

Yeah and this market it seems to be the exact opposite - those recently sold listings on eBay and other auction sites will be way more than what sites like GoCollect reflect because they need time to update.