• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Turnaround times question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I understand that the CGC turnaround clock doesn't start until they "Receive" the comics.  However, the turnaround time also changes over time.  So say on the day they receive the comics, turnaround time is 43 days, but on day 43 turnaround time is 50 days.   What is my turnaround time 43 or 50?

Another way is to ask is what does the turnaround time represent?  Does it represent a prediction of when your comics will be done?  Does it represent the current received date in the past they are currently working on?

Thanks for the feedback.

24 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

I understand that the CGC turnaround clock doesn't start until they "Receive" the comics.  However, the turnaround time also changes over time.  So say on the day they receive the comics, turnaround time is 43 days, but on day 43 turnaround time is 50 days.   What is my turnaround time 43 or 50?

Another way is to ask is what does the turnaround time represent?  Does it represent a prediction of when your comics will be done?  Does it represent the current received date in the past they are currently working on?

Thanks for the feedback.

I base it on the day the comics are logged as "Received".  So if it's 43 days when it's marked as "Received", then I'm starting my clock.  If the TAT increases to 50 days a month later, I'm still holding to that 43 figure as the rough estimate of when CGC should finish grading/slabbing.  In my experience, CGC is able to complete its end of the bargain and hand off to the Post Office/FedEx within its estimated TAT window.  Sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late.  I wouldn't think too much about it.  Once you submit books, it's a waiting game.  If you've waited 43 business days, another 7 isn't gonna make much difference.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I base it on the day the comics are logged as "Received".  So if it's 43 days when it's marked as "Received", then I'm starting my clock.  If the TAT increases to 50 days a month later, I'm still holding to that 43 figure as the rough estimate of when CGC should finish grading/slabbing.  In my experience, CGC is able to complete its end of the bargain and hand off to the Post Office/FedEx within its estimated TAT window.  Sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late.  I wouldn't think too much about it.  Once you submit books, it's a waiting game.  If you've waited 43 business days, another 7 isn't gonna make much difference.

agree, if you send it non-fast track and it materially matters to you whether you get it in 43 business days compared to 50 business days, then you should have paid for fast-track.  With that being said, if it ends up taking significantly longer than you thought it would based on their posted estimates, no harm in shooting CGC a POLITE note after the fact with some feeback to keep them honest and encourage them to improve their process (they can always improve, as can any company).  Likewise nothing wrong with sending them feedback on your positive experiences (if any) as well.

But most experienced submitters for non-fast track just submit and forget, and its a happy surprise when they get them back 2-4 months later (much longer with pressing).

Thank you all for the feed back.  I am not upset with CGC and I expect some fuzziness to the turnaround days.   I just realized that I didn't really know which turnaround days applied to me.  I have 2 people saying 43 and 1 person saying the 50.    I know the extra week isn't much in the grand scheme, but I was currious.  I will update this post when they ship.  FYI my received date is 1/25/21.

If their TAT currently states 50 days then they are finishing books received 50 business days ago. Your already in house submissions will be subject to the current posted TAT. Not the TAT listed at the time when your submission was "received".

Let's just be honest.  Anything can happen.  So if it's a 50 day TAT, don't be surprised if a week is thrown on there due to unexpected circumstances over the course of those fifty days. 

Edited by Buzzetta

26 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Let's just be honest.  Anything can happen.  So if it's a 50 day TAT, don't be surprised if a week is thrown on there due to unexpected circumstances over the course of those fifty days. 

You wanna go for 2? Maybe 3? 

On 4/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, Fisionbomb said:

If their TAT currently states 50 days then they are finishing books received 50 business days ago. Your already in house submissions will be subject to the current posted TAT. Not the TAT listed at the time when your submission was "received".

I think this is correct.  They are definitely updating the days based of what they are currently working on.   Its now either business day 52 or 54 (depending on which calculator I use), nowhere near the 43 days that was posted the day my submission was "received".

23 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

I think this is correct.  They are definitely updating the days based of what they are currently working on.   Its now either business day 52 or 54 (depending on which calculator I use), nowhere near the 43 days that was posted the day my submission was "received".

It's also worth noting their posted TAT's are estimates only (usually fairly accurate) but definitely not a gaurantee. There are a myriad of reasons a submission could take longer. I'd like to note as well that sometimes submissions do in fact come back sooner than the posted TAT.

As somone else may have already said, give them a call or post your submission number in "ask CGC" if you're getting worried, frustrated or just curious.