• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Final Value Fee - WTF!!!
1 1

92 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So just discovered something new I didn't know about. Not sure if others knew or not, but definitely surprised me.

Just sold my ASM 129 7.0 on ebay and it went for $2,560. Super happy with the sale just to say first off. As my payment came in though, because as you all know or most know it's now through a service they call "Managed Payments" once they broke off from Paypal, the amount I lost through fees was more than I thought it would be. So when they broke off from Paypal, they said they would charge 12.35% for anything up to $7K. So as I saw my net amount, it came out to roughly 13.5%, which naturally baffled me as I expected it to be 12.35%. I called Ebay, and as I explain the situation, the Ebay rep tells me it's now 12.65%. So I mean it still says it's 12.35% online, and apparently they must have sent an email explaining this update, but I don't recall getting it. Regardless, they should change it to the correct amount now on their site, but either way I'm just thinking like, "ok that's fine, but it still doesn't add up". So I tell her, you guys still took more off my sale, to which she further proceeds to explain that it comes off the "SALES TAX" as well!

I capitalized that because it astonished me to hear it haha. I finished up the call, looked at their seller fee guidelines and right there in the fine print, I saw they take off the sales tax as well. So I mean, I guess it is what is, it's written in the fine print. I just can't help but feel how damn greedy that is to take a percentage off the freaking sales tax. I mean Ebay charges that to the buyer, I don't see a penny of that. I guess that's corporate greed for ya though haha. Unless I'm missing something and there's nothing wrong with them making money off that amount, but seems ridiculous to me. Anyway, the additional amount wasn't the end all be all of fees, maybe an additional $20 from my sale, but that adds up over time!

Might make me reevaluate what I sell on Ebay going forward. Auction houses (C-link and Comicconnect) at a clean 10% seem to be the better option.

I've never had a better year - ever - than the last 12 months on eBay.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

It's bogus that they take final value fees on shipping, too. I assume that still happens?

Why do you think that happens/happened? Because #$@hole sellers were selling an item for $5, with $250 shipping charges to get out of the final value fee.

Now we suffer from abusive sellers.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:
1 hour ago, manetteska said:

That's an awesome one-size sample test you did.

As you have done in the past, that is a really great example FOR YOU. Not for everyone.

There really isn't a lack of understanding when fees are being taken out of money I never -- in any scenario -- receive.

One-size sample???  Three months, $40,000 in sales, no negative impact.  You're not getting it, but no surprise.  Most don't.  It's just a math thing.  And for the fees going up, well, that's a given.

Yes, a one-size sample (you), based on where you live, where your buyers live, price of items sold, etc. All of these variables will not be the same for everyone; actually, not the same for anyone, except you.

That's also a math thing.

What are ebay fees right now supposed to be?

I am getting hammered with a surcharge because i messed up a few transactions last summer. on me, i get it, but it feels like my fees are 50% higher than they should be. So they also take a fee on the tax? But out of my end, not the sales tax itself?

25 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Is Heritage a better place to sell than eBay? I mean what is the fee on the seller and buyer? I assume it is a greater loss for both individuals 

No Heritage is worse than everywhere haha. I honestly don't understand why people sell on there, and especially big books. I'm sure there's a good reason, and I just don't get it lol.

6 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No Heritage is worse than everywhere haha. I honestly don't understand why people sell on there, and especially big books. I'm sure there's a good reason, and I just don't get it lol.

I buy on there, but I have to adjust what I am willing to pay, with BP, handling fee, credit card fee, taxes, and shipping it's crazy.

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

These jacked up fees are probably going to result in me declining an offer of $335 on a $355 book, which is actually kind of reasonable,

I paid $240, so I guess that gives me some wiggle room emotionally.

I am a numbers guy, and noticed that eBay took a little bit more than I was expecting out of an item that I sold last month.  I called them to get clarification and was told about the fee being taken out of the sales tax.  The rep told me that this is a known concern and is currently being looked at internally.  The rep led me to believe that at some point in the future there will be more transparency with this when viewing/calculating seller fees.  But I wouldn’t hold my breath...

15 minutes ago, ngh81 said:

I am a numbers guy, and noticed that eBay took a little bit more than I was expecting out of an item that I sold last month.  I called them to get clarification and was told about the fee being taken out of the sales tax.  The rep told me that this is a known concern and is currently being looked at internally.  The rep led me to believe that at some point in the future there will be more transparency with this when viewing/calculating seller fees.  But I wouldn’t hold my breath...

I’m just happy to know I’m not the only person to be surprised by this lol

Edited by LDarkseid1

"Yes, a one-size sample (you), based on where you live, where your buyers live, price of items sold, etc"

Where I live does not matter.  Sales tax is charged by where the buyer is.

Buyers from all locations have roughly the same chance of buying from me as anyone else.  It's random for me, you, and anyone.

Price does not matter.  It's the same sales tax rate for a $5 item as it is for a $5000 item.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Edited by Lightning55

I don't think there are other real options aside from Ebay on just run of the mill items. Sure I can sell the slabs and more expensive books on MCS or maybe C-link etc... But, and I could just be missing something (it has happened once or twice), for the smaller books, no place else accepts them for sale aside from Ebay. So I'll never get the opportunity to just move on from there. At least not until I've finished with my current project of selling off all my old stuff I no longer want to keep.

And yes there's Craigslist or FB marketplace, but, mostly, no....

Edited by xvipah

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah can't wait for that!

Let you guys/gals know that my 2nd stimulus check was stolen and cashed.  Someone forged my check.  US Treasury Department of the Fiscal Service provided me the questionnaire sheets and the scan of the forgeries.

I was shocked they signed my check without my permission.  They asked me to sign three times and my wife did the same thing that are used for the comparison. I finished my questionnaire sheets and mailed them back.  I hope they will reserve the check and arrest them immediately.  My CPA used the taxable recovery credit on my tax return.

Back to the subject,  I use eBay fees on my selling report on my tax return so I hope I will get more tax refund.

Edited by JollyComics

3 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Let you guys/gals know that my 2nd stimulus check was stolen and cashed.  Someone forged my check.  US Treasury Department of the Fiscal Service provided me the questionnaire sheets and the scan of the forgeries.

I was shocked they signed my check without my permission.  They asked me to sign three times and my wife did the same thing that are used for the comparison. I finished my questionnaire sheets and mailed them back.  I hope they will reserve the check and arrest them immediately.  My CPA used the taxable recovery credit on my tax return.

Back to the subject,  I use eBay fees on my selling report on my tax return so I hope I will get more tax refund.

Is it a loss/gain entry? No one would make $10K on a book if it was bought for $8K, then flipped.

10 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Is it a loss/gain entry? No one would make $10K on a book if it was bought for $8K, then flipped.

I personally sold over $25K in 2020 via eBay so I have to report on Schedule A. My father told me to use it so my taxman is doing it for me.

Edited by JollyComics