• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BULK PURCHASE OF THE SAME COMIC
5 5

523 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was able to purchase a large quantity of comics that appear to be directly from the publisher (200 comics per box). They all appear to be in gem mint condition. If I decide to get them graded, what would be the best way to go about having so many graded? The comics are from 1992 and were found in a warehouse. 

5 minutes ago, Fizzle said:
1 hour ago, Designer76 said:

They all appear to be in gem mint condition.

Have you had any books graded before? Because usually when someone says this they end up disappointed.

Indeed - the use of the term "Gem Mint" for comics indicates a lack of understanding of grading/criteria. Not a slam - just a cautionary observation. Take a good scan of one of these and post it in the Grading area: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/  so experienced collectors can help assess exactly what you have as far as condition.

I appreciate all the feedback. I have collected comic books for the past 30 years. I have pretty good understanding of grading. The top 2 comics had very small scuff wear from rubbing on the cardboard box. Each entire box set isabsolute pristine, shiny zero flaws, cleaner than store shelf new books because they have never been handled or opened. They look like they were printed yesterday. I have never had a few hundred graded at one time. Their condition is the reason I even thought of getting them slabbed. Otherwise I would put them with the rest of my collection in storage. 

Sometimes the appearance of scarcity will drive a price up.  100 new books at the top of the census might not be the best way to go about selling.  Perhaps you might consider shipping only the number of books that CGC will ship in one package (reduction of shipping cost too).  Is it still 30 books?

There are tens of thousands of unsold copies of many books from the 90s.  It was a time when inexperienced card dealers bought cases of books thinking they would increase in value, and all they did was create a glut.

Without knowing what titles you have, it would be silly to speculate but as a rule, most books from that era are easily available in high grade.

I bought an unopened case of Shadow of the Bat #2s a year or so ago and used them for Halloween treats. 

7 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

IDK why you laugh at Turok #1, doesn't grading cost like $20? So as long as he spent roughly under $60 x 200 = $12,000 per box he should profit...

image.thumb.png.207297bfd555e2e9634f6754cd5c40ae.png

You cannot expect all of them to return as 9.8's...  and that signature series is a bad example.  I really enjoyed Turok.  Good art and story.  I think a 9.8 just sold on comiclink for $30.

8 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

I notice that a lot about this forum too, everyone acts like an expert even if it doesn't make any sense

Have you ever seen a box of 200 copies of a comic in which they were all 9.8s?   Of the over 200,000 copies of that book that were sold, how many have been graded 9.8?  Many people here speak from years , if not decades of experience. 

On 4/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Designer76 said:

The comics are from 1992 and were found in a warehouse. 

First things first, the more info you provide, the better answers you'll get... Who is the publisher, what title(s), issue #...if it's all the same issue then take good pics of one and post here:   https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

MCS has copies of Turok 1 in 9.8 for under $50.

According to their census, there are about 225 copies graded 9.8.  Imagine what adding 200 more copies to the census would do for the books value.

19 minutes ago, revat said:

I generally agree with you, but I think in this case people are trying to help the OP answer a question he didn't ask.  He just wants to know what's the best way to get 200 1992 comics graded, not how much they're worth or if they should be graded.  We don't know his criteria for grading or profit or his goals with the comics.  Maybe he wants to sell, maybe he wants to swim in swimming pool full of Turok slabs like Scrooge Mcduck, maybe he just wants to throw money into Florida to help out the post-pandemic economy.  I for one, am not here to judge.

I say box'em up (with bags and boards, make sure they won't move in transit), fill out the form, do a pre-screen 9.8 on the CGC form, and mail them to Florida.  Contact CGC to have them help you fill out the form if you have questions.  Six months later do an Onlyfans of your unboxing when you get them and call it a day.

23 hours ago, revat said:

For safety, I’m just gonna sell all my 1992 slabs before this guy gets them graded

There is a whole lot of Charlie-Sheen-Winning-gif.gif.dd2f4757548a9216e5428e2551cb918d.gif

In these two posts. :roflmao:

On 4/6/2021 at 1:37 PM, Designer76 said:

Hi all, I was able to purchase a large quantity of comics that appear to be directly from the publisher (200 comics per box). They all appear to be in gem mint condition. If I decide to get them graded, what would be the best way to go about having so many graded? The comics are from 1992 and were found in a warehouse. 

The first thing I recommend is that you check my WTB post and then PM me if you have the book I am looking for.  

34 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

The first thing I recommend is that you check my WTB post and then PM me if you have the book I am looking for.  

Seriously doubt that as he didn't say a sealed box of 2 packs. :baiting:

Nice try though.. :roflmao: