• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BULK PURCHASE OF THE SAME COMIC
5 5

523 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, revat said:

For the OP, in Summary, because this thread will probably be locked:

1.  It sounds like the best way to submit is in batches of 25 or 30, pre-screened for 9.8's.  You should get your own CGC membership, and they'll give you credits you can apply towards the fees.  Since its your first time, I personally would still call/email CGC first to clarify everything, and have them walk you through whole process, including all the fees and an understanding of insurance and potential wait times.

2.  Although you didn't ask for their advice, many folks seem to have attempted to 'help' you decide whether or not to send, whether you need their help or not.  While this may seem somewhat condescending or somehow self-serving on the service, SOOOOOOOOO many newbies come here thinking they've got slabbable valuable stuff, claiming they're mint, gem mint, perfect, etc.  Of course that does not mean you do not have a box full of perfect, valuable comics, or that you shouldn't/wouldn't submit for your own personal reasons independent of financial gain, which of course many people certainly do, including myself.

But with that being said, I think most reasonable people would assume that submitting 200 comics would be for financial gain.  With that said, I'm extremely comfortable saying that submitting 200 comics from 1992 would only be financially rewarding if the following unlikely things are true:

a.  You are sure they'll all grade 9.8 or higher.  Of course the pre-screen helps with that, but paying the pre-screen for failures adds up quick.  Of course you've stated you think they're gem mint, but honestly it would be extremely, extremely rare.

b.  They sell above a certain price.  Factor in shipping back and insurance back and forth, grading fees, invoice fees, opportunity cost of tying up your money, cost of failure.  Determine your break even point and how much profit you think you can make per book, even then you have to factor in selling, other fees, taxes, shipping, your time, returns, etc.  You might be thinking hey they sell for $50, so thats around $20 profit on 200 books, that's an easy $4000.  For the same 1992 book, the odds are it doesn't work that way.  But maybe....

c.  The bulk submission of 200 books (or even 25) would not lower the likely selling price due to the glut of supply.

Of course books like this exist, but the odds just seem so low that you're in that position.

But I'm not here to judge whether you submit or not, I hope you are a comic expert and get all 9.9's on some 1992 key and shove it everyone's faces, AND boost the economy.  I was joking before, but at this point you might actually be able to sell some type of pay-per-view of your unboxing.  I'll go buy some Onlyfans stock in anticipation.

As for the rest of it, enjoy the ride.

:golfclap: again one of the best posts in the entire thread. Great advice with insight and a splash of humor. Thank you !  

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

:golfclap: again one of the best posts in the entire thread. Great advice with insight and a splash of humor. Thank you !  

Yeah, that was fun.  I broke my own rule and got involved....sweet!!!

That Guy.png

also, for the record my guess is that the book is spawn 1.

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Yeah, that was fun.  I broke my own rule and got involved....sweet!!!

Sometimes these threads that descend into a dumpster fire can be enjoyable.  It sucks for those who started it and had good intentions although they usually get their answers as well as entertainment.   At the same time it is sad to some come in and self destruct.

This one originally started ok. Question asked. Some answers and a little bit of snark as usual.  

The rest was just :facepalm:

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Sometimes these threads that descend into a dumpster fire can be enjoyable.  It sucks for those who started it and had good intentions although they usually get their answers as well as entertainment.   At the same time it is sad to some come in and self destruct.

This one originally started ok. Question asked. Some answers and a little bit of snark as usual.  

The rest was just :facepalm:

Yup.  It took my mind off my insomnia.  Lol

1 minute ago, revat said:

That actually makes a lot of sense.  Since the beginning that was the main thing that engaged me was the mystery of what he found a case of still sealed. 

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
5 minutes ago, revat said:

That actually makes a lot of sense.  Since the beginning that was the main thing that engaged me was the mystery of what he found a case of still sealed. 

At this point, he could (if he followed all relevant state and federal laws of course) run a contest where you pay $1 or $2 per guess, and you guess what book and how many CGC  9.8s there are.  Closest guesser wins half the money, OP keeps the other half.

1 minute ago, revat said:

At this point, he could (if he followed all relevant state and federal laws of course) run a contest where you pay $1 or $2 per guess, and you guess what book and how many CGC  9.8s there are.  Closest guesser wins half the money, OP keeps the other half.

:idea: that is a good idea and another revenue stream. 

12 minutes ago, Slap Happy said:

20210408_101423.jpg

WHAAAAAAAH?!?!?!?!?!

Baker's Dozen: Lemon Donut night was Night 11 of the 13 night run back on 8/4/17 

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/reviews/phishmas-lemon-baker-dozen/

Yes, I was there... fricken amazing and the place went nuts when they covered Radiohead's Everything in its right place for the Lemon theme. 

14 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

Also it's curious you have a long box of X-Men #1's which is exactly the "massive speculation in the 90's" you ridiculed, yet you join the others in bullying OP for soundly expecting value today/near-future in 30-year old comics that were once common

Look they are not bullying they are trying to save him some money. Unless you have been grading a long time its very naive to think your books will yield a majority 9.8s. You will get some,  you will a lot of 9.6 and you will get some 9.4s every time. So weigh the cost of slabbing the 9.6s and 9.4s versus the profit of 9.8 or do prescreens. 

Now having said all that there are dozens of people here who have been dealing with comics for over 20+ years. Some us yes are :censored:, but even those people you can take some good advice from. The problem is we here this all the time and unless the OP or anyone else for that matter gives us more background its what we think. 

There is a wealth of  knowledge here just some tend to be a bit overzealous in their opinions. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Eh... the bagel was a little lacking. Admittedly the sandwich was $5 so that was the selling point as it was closer and cheaper.  The better bagel store would have been more crowded, I could be waiting there for twenty minutes and it would have also cost $8-9 for that.   So... concessions... 

Ain't you got any minions yet? At this stage in your career, I'd expect at least a lackey or two.