• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BULK PURCHASE OF THE SAME COMIC
5 5

523 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

UGH I give up. I was trying to read this thread but gave up around page 9.

Did anyone mention that there have been threads discussing board members who have submitted boxes of uncirculated books and were surprised by how few 9.8+ books they received once graded?

The guy trying to find 9.8+ copies of Spawn is one that comes to mind.

(tsk)

Shut up, you evil bully! That couldn't have happened!

lol

And yes, it was a chore to read through this thread. :p

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
26 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The "Pasquale Syndrome".

I was thinking more like " Schrodinger's Comics "

Pasquale was a old friend of artboy's who had a collection he hadn't looked at in years.  We went over to buy it and made what we considered a fair offer but we couldn't agree on a price.  The more he looked at his collection the more dollar signs he saw and he'd look at books like Wolverine 10 CGC 9.8 selling for $300 and he'd want $300 each - he had 10 copies.  Pointing out that his books weren't graded and weren't likely to get 9,8 as they hadn't been stored well and grading wasn't free didn't seem to matter.  For the next few years he'd show up at shows and ask question after question and pump us for information.  We finally decided we weren't gonna help him anymore but he talked us into going over to his house one more time by offering to buy the pizza.  When we got there he told us he'd made pizza instead 'because it's just as good' and it wasn't and continued to pump us for information.  I could barely choke down a couple pieces.  He was a likable guy but money was his god and he did his best to use us.  It's a shame because it was a fairly nice collection of SA to CA

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Pasquale was a old friend of artboy's who had a collection he hadn't looked at in years.  We went over to buy it and made what we considered a fair offer but we couldn't agree on a price.  The more he looked at his collection the more dollar signs he saw and he'd look at books like Wolverine 10 CGC 9.8 selling for $300 and he'd want $300 each - he had 10 copies.  Pointing out that his books weren't graded and weren't likely to get 9,8 as they hadn't been stored well and grading wasn't free didn't seem to matter.  For the next few years he'd show up at shows and ask question after question and pump us for information.  We finally decided we weren't gonna help him anymore but he talked us into going over to his house one more time by offering to buy the pizza.  When we got there he told us he'd made pizza instead 'because it's just as good' and it wasn't and continued to pump us for information.  I could barely choke down a couple pieces.  He was a likable guy but money was his god and he did his best to use us.  It's a shame because it was a fairly nice collection of SA to CA

Definitely makes for one of "those" experiences and deserves its syndrome title. 

My thought on this. 

In Schrodinger's imaginary experiment, you place a cat in a box with a tiny bit of radioactive substance. When the radioactive substance decays, it triggers a Geiger counter which causes a poison or explosion to be released that kills the cat. Now, the decay of the radioactive substance is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that the atom starts in a combined state of "going to decay" and "not going to decay". If we apply the observer-driven idea to this case, there is no conscious observer present (everything is in a sealed box), so the whole system stays as a combination of the two possibilities. The cat ends up both dead and alive at the same time. Because the existence of a cat that is both dead and alive at the same time is absurd and does not happen in the real world, this thought experiment shows that wavefunction collapses are not just driven by conscious observers.

Meaning if you seal the box and do not observe the comics. They are both 9.8 and not 9.8 at the same time. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Obviously not practical in the real world.

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Definitely makes for one of "those" experiences and deserves its syndrome title. 

My thought on this. 

In Schrodinger's imaginary experiment, you place a cat in a box with a tiny bit of radioactive substance. When the radioactive substance decays, it triggers a Geiger counter which causes a poison or explosion to be released that kills the cat. Now, the decay of the radioactive substance is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that the atom starts in a combined state of "going to decay" and "not going to decay". If we apply the observer-driven idea to this case, there is no conscious observer present (everything is in a sealed box), so the whole system stays as a combination of the two possibilities. The cat ends up both dead and alive at the same time. Because the existence of a cat that is both dead and alive at the same time is absurd and does not happen in the real world, this thought experiment shows that wavefunction collapses are not just driven by conscious observers.

Meaning if you seal the box and do not observe the comics. They are both 9.8 and not 9.8 at the same time. 

so those board members who have irradiated their cats and seen them dead do know what they are talking about!

Just now, Artboy99 said:

so those board members who have irradiated their cats and seen them dead do know what they are talking about!

hm 

Although I would not reccomend that. They should just irradiate themselves.  Poor kitty.

16 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

There wasn't any more of that pizza to eat even if you wanted more. He only made enough for the 3 of us to have 2 pieces each.

Not that you would have wanted any more, it was terrible.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

There wasn't any more of that pizza to eat even if you wanted more. He only made enough for the 3 of us to have 2 pieces each.

Not that you would have wanted any more, it was terrible.

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for another piece so never noticed we'd eaten it all.  Did he serve us water?

Just now, thehumantorch said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask for another piece so never noticed we'd eaten it all.  Did he serve us water?

no. We asked for some but he forgot because his wife phoned.

Just now, thehumantorch said:

Eh, he probably would have only given us 1 cup to share.  Did he tell his wife we loved the pizza because we ate it all?

probably, but that trend of his to exaggerate might just have been what led to their divorce.

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Wonder if he kept talking up how much those books were worth when the divorce lawyers got involved.. hm

I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone.  He was a likable guy and easy to talk and I hope he's in a good place now.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone.  He was a likable guy and easy to talk and I hope he's in a good place now.

I would definitely agree. I really do not wish anyone ill. :foryou:

I make a lot of jokes. Most to lighten the mood. Things can get tense especially with everything going on. You never really know what someone is going through.  

4 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

My thought on this. 

Depends on if I am the buyer or the seller.

My former partner made a side deal with somebody for 3,000 Superman #1s.   Ten cases worth and evidently promised the guy his money back if he wanted to return the books anytime in the future. Within a year he was hounding me to honor the deal even  though I didn't make it. I bought a few and ended up selling one on the boards here soon after I joined. The buyer said he was going to have them graded but then decided to donate the whole case to charity.  suspect there may well be hundreds of sealed cases of these.  

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Depends on if I am the buyer or the seller.

My former partner made a side deal with somebody for 3,000 Superman #1s.   Ten cases worth and evidently promised the guy his money back if he wanted to return the books anytime in the future. Within a year he was hounding me to honor the deal even  though I didn't make it. I bought a few and ended up selling one on the boards here soon after I joined. The buyer said he was going to have them graded but then decided to donate the whole case to charity.  suspect there may well be hundreds of sealed cases of these.  

If you dont mind me asking what was the price per case and what did you sell that one for? 

Also the above is just an imaginary thought experiment ( schrodinger's cat) which I was crudely applying to the sealed case of books. Unseen there is no way to tell what they may or may not grade at.

Yes most of us agree you would be extremely lucky to get a percentage of them in 9.8. It would be almost,  if not impossible,  to assume they all are, but unknown is still unknown.  ( still not a gamble I would personally embark on )