• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BULK PURCHASE OF THE SAME COMIC
5 5

523 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Adam, everyone acts like an expert because they've seen this song and dance before and they speak from many years of experience.

They know that there was massive speculation in the 90s and Atilla the Hun size hoards of books went into storage because they couldn't be sold.  They know these books are common and boxes of uncirculated comics aren't unusual.  And finally they know what it takes to get a 9.8 from CGC.  Anyone who believes a box of unread and uncirculated comics will yield all or mostly 9.8 copies doesn't know what they're talking about.

Very well stated. :foryou:

Also :roflmao:

almost-famous.gif.a5632dd9533540329d931eb96dab1742.gif

44 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Adam, everyone acts like an expert because they've seen this song and dance before and they speak from many years of experience.

They know that there was massive speculation in the 90s and Atilla the Hun size hoards of books went into storage because they couldn't be sold.  They know these books are common and boxes of uncirculated comics aren't unusual.  And finally they know what it takes to get a 9.8 from CGC.  Anyone who believes a box of unread and uncirculated comics will yield all or mostly 9.8 copies doesn't know what they're talking about.

I agree 100%.

And anyone who joined the boards in 2017 but only saw fit to post now in 2021 is probably up to shenanigans.

12 minutes ago, Adam Lui said:

I don't think we have any reason to doubt the seller's claim he's been doing this 30 years. Everything about his posts indicates he just wants to know the most economical way to mass-grade, not how to grade. And that signature series is a great example of how it doesn't matter whether it's signed or not, people like me are nostalgic for Turok, whether you or anyone laughs at it.

I have, my 9.8s I put in a longbox in the 90s. To answer your 2nd question...

image.png.bb057e7126dae8c55007e6def7d2ad05.png

223U + 5Q + 30S + 2R = 260/200K = 0.013% of those sales, if your figures are true. Regarding your 3rd point, just because you've been collecting for "years" doesn't mean you automatically great points. And I said "everyone acts expert even if it doesn't make sense" meaning the ones that do make sense exist, too. I'm not saying no one's a true expert, but you are a great example of one who only thinks they are given the current points you have presented (and you joined 18 years ago)

What's MCS? And I agree it would lower the value, no one said it wouldn't...

Do you know what the best-selling single-issue comic of all time is? It's the little-known X-Men #1, published during your described massive speculation in the 90s.

In 1991, it sold 8,186,500 copies. That would make it the ultimate exemplification of a common book.

Now I present you recent sales generating realized profits for these uneducated "hoarders":

image.png.a6cdb232d86bfc7b4f7495f7b41bdee3.png

Just because something's common doesn't mean it won't ever appreciate in value. Everything becomes less common as time passes, just not at the same rate. And anyone who "believes a box of unread and uncirculated comics will yield all or mostly 9.8 copies" DOES know what they're talking about, because they actually understand the CGC grading scale (unlike you). A 9.8 allows for handling/manufacturing defects, while 9.9 allows for manufacturing but no handling, and 10.0 = neither (super rare). If (and only if) the box is truly unread/uncirculated, that means the chances it's free from handling defects skyrockets exponentially, so it absolutely will yield mostly 9.8 copies (and likely a few 9.9's) by the very definitions of 9.98-10.0 as defined by CGC itself. Simply put, 9.8's are not as pristine as you are making them out to be.

Yes, I have a long box of X-men 1.  Value comes from either rarity or demand or a combination of the two.  You can have value even if something is common if the demand is high and you may have little value if the item is very rare but nobody cares about it.

I do understand the CGC grading scale and how they grade handling and manufacturing defects.  Perhaps you'd like to partner with the OP to get all his books graded 9.8 and get rich.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 4/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Designer76 said:

They all appear to be in gem mint condition. 

This made me laugh. Ok now that I have that out of my system here is the answer:

You are actually in a fortunate position of having so many. I am assuming you would only want to grade the ones that are sure to get high grades right? Like 9.8? So what you should do is send 8 shipments of 25 comics, that's what CGC allows. And when you do the submission form, make sure that you indicate that you want these comics screened for the 9.8 grade. Then just pack them up nicely, send them to the address listed on the CGC site (and submission form) and wait about half a year to get them back.

23 minutes ago, shadroch said:

People choose the strangest beaches to die on. 

Good luck to the OP. I hope this doesn't end up biting you in your posterior. 

I'd love to see how this turns out.

That’s why I suggested an onlyfans of the unboxing

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

This made me laugh. Ok now that I have that out of my system here is the answer:

You are actually in a fortunate position of having so many. I am assuming you would only want to grade the ones that are sure to get high grades right? Like 9.8? So what you should do is send 8 shipments of 25 comics, that's what CGC allows. And when you do the submission form, make sure that you indicate that you want these comics screened for the 9.8 grade. Then just pack them up nicely, send them to the address listed on the CGC site (and submission form) and wait about half a year to get them back.

That certainly would be simpler than posting a few pictures and getting some outside opinions.

8 minutes ago, Adam Lui said:

I meant most of you are gasping because 90s is still too modern for you, failing to realize everything was modern at one point (what do you think they called Silver Age comics when they were current?)

Fun fact, kids today speak of the 90s like kids in the 90s would speak of the 60s.

Let's all feel old together :D

Also, joking aside, the OP is smart. If there's ever been a time to put some non rare high grade books on the market, now's the time.

Edited by William-James88

19 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

IDK why you laugh at Turok #1, doesn't grading cost like $20? So as long as he spent roughly under $60 x 200 = $12,000 per box he should profit...

image.thumb.png.207297bfd555e2e9634f6754cd5c40ae.png

20$? Man, you are so 2018.

With these 90s books, you'll need that 9.8, so pressing is needed to help us get it. And none of us know how long this boom will last, so unless we want to gamble that it will still  be a seller's market in 2022, you'll need to fastrack your order (pressing now has an over 5 month wait).

So that's 20$ plus 10$ fastrack plus 18$ pressing fastrack for a total of almost 50$ a book before taxes, handling fee and shipping both ways. The cost is gonna be 70$ per book just about if you want some 9.8s to sell in this current market. 

And then you subtract ebay and paypal fees once it's sold.

Edited by William-James88

3 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

I meant most of you are gasping because 90s is still too modern for you, failing to realize everything was modern at one point (what do you think they called Silver Age comics when they were current?)

They actually called it the Silver Age.  There are many references to the 60s being the new Silver Age from the 60s.  

5 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

Yet you stated "these books are common" in the face of other common books like Turok and X-Men selling well as a reason he's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. You then laugh at "uncirculated comics will yield all or mostly 9.8 copies" so it's clear you didn't understand CGC's scale (on a deeper level). Just pointing out not everyone else is necessarily the insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you're the one making illogical statements...

I'm gonna disagree with you when you say all or most of these will be 9.8.  I don't think you know what you're talking about.  If these books are submitted and most come back 9.8 you will prove me wrong and I can live with that.  I've made many submissions over the years and I do understand CGC's scale 'on a deeper level' or on a 'deep, deeper, deeper than deep' level.