• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who decides what goes on a CGC label (1st appearances, deaths, etc)?

10 posts in this topic

I’ve attempted to ask this question a few times via the regular CGC Comics website but it never gets answered. There’s a series I follow that needs additions and some of the label notations that currently exist are wrong. Please don’t tell me it’s up to the grader as this is not a proper answer. Thanks!

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, that is the answer.  The graders make the final determination on what appears on the label.  

If you do not see a First Appearance notation that you believe should be noted, you may request it.  To request a first appearance update or inclusion of other information to the current label, please include a note both on your printed submission form and also attached to the bag of the specific book (post-it on comic bag) and our graders will review and make a determination on that request during the grading process. 

Thank you!

So you can only request a new detail to be added if you’re actually having the book graded? The Bone series will increase in popularity once the Netflix series begins to air and there are four or five books that need “1st appearance of, death of, etc”. I can only submit this to a grader and pray he/she puts in on the book?

• Administrator

Unfortunately, yes, you can only request that if you are submitting the book to us for grading.  When the graders examine the book, that is when they will research your request and see if they agree and can put that on the label.  

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Unfortunately, yes, you can only request that if you are submitting the book to us for grading.  When the graders examine the book, that is when they will research your request and see if they agree and can put that on the label.  

Thanks!

So they will do all the research by just looking at the book being graded or looking at the entire series? I ask because I have a book from the series that I’d like to get reholdered and it has the first appearances of the two major villains in the series. This detail is presently not included on the label. Thanks Jennifer.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:37 PM, docgo said:

So they will do all the research by just looking at the book being graded or looking at the entire series? I ask because I have a book from the series that I’d like to get reholdered and it has the first appearances of the two major villains in the series. This detail is presently not included on the label. Thanks Jennifer.

If you could answer this @Jennifer F. I’d appreciate it. Also, can a label be given new details if the book is just being reholdered? Thanks!