• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever found a comic you once owned?
4 4

46 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Mad react.Oh well,shoulda swiped them.Or said-och,this is from my stolen collection!I'll give you ten percent of ask and not call the fuzz.:sumo:

I satisfied myself by buying a sleeper book for £20 that he'd missed which I later sold for £200. That funded a Charlie or ten.

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

PS-I have a DPV to show you tomorrah.It should be fifteenbut it says twenty aiiiii-eeeeee

That's not possible Jim. A comic with a different cover price? I've never heard of such a thing. 

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I satisfied myself by buying a sleeper book for £20 that he'd missed which I later sold for £200. That funded a Charlie or ten.

That's not possible Jim. A comic with a different cover price? I've never heard of such a thing. 

Sigh,I'm a big fibber,you caught me.I guess I wont share the Magnusificant book.

Okay,I'm to the fartsac before we get spanked for talking and stuff! 

Guess who's gonna be in the new Picard,just to drive folks nuts?

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by porcupine48

12 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Sigh,I'm a big fibber,you caught me.I guess I wont share the Magnusificant book.

175f601ab4e6b967db6e2cdace8e2798.gif.6f061ae1cc27b00812a17f297c270f6e.gif

Okay,I'm to the fartsac before we get spanked for talking and stuff! 

Yes, indeed. Sleep tight Jimmery.  

About 9 years ago a friend of mine sold about 10 short boxes of silver and bronze.  Including his VG copy of Superboy 68, which out of everything, within a month he regretted selling.  About six months later, I found his exact copy at a local show.  I had pictures of it to verify and I knew the dealer who had bought it from him.  

I bought it back for him.  It was a good day.

10 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

About 9 years ago a friend of mine sold about 10 short boxes of silver and bronze.  Including his VG copy of Superboy 68, which out of everything, within a month he regretted selling.  About six months later, I found his exact copy at a local show.  I had pictures of it to verify and I knew the dealer who had bought it from him.  

I bought it back for him.  It was a good day.

Hello friend of mine.  I had a VG copy of Action Comics #1... no, two VG copies... no two VF copies of Action Comics #1 that I regret selling.  How about you buy them back for me and I'll give you a hearty pat on the back and a case of Dr Pepper? :foryou:

2 hours ago, Montezuma said:

Back in the 60's we had neighbors who were ultra religious, and would let my parent's know I was going to end up no good because of all the comics I always had around me. Their kids would never be afflicted with the evil things. Thankfully my parents ignored them. The in the 1980's I was digging through boxes of paper at an antique store in a completely different state and came up with a copy of a subscription comic from the 1950's with their name and address on it. Bought and showed it to my mother who had a good laugh.

In my old age, I've seen that most people railing against other people's behavior are guilty of... whatever it is they're railing against. :preach:

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Hello friend of mine.  I had a VG copy of Action Comics #1... no, two VG copies... no two VF copies of Action Comics #1 that I regret selling.  How about you buy them back for me and I'll give you a hearty pat on the back and a case of Dr Pepper? :foryou:

Now that Valiantman is in here I can share a story without having to tag him. 

Been a while back, but I sold off a lot of my books when I was downsizing.  Some I regretted letting go of. Years later I was curious where some of these ended up and see if I could buy some of these back.  One of them was an early graded CGC Sample book. After searching for a while I found out that Valiantman now owns that book. Even though I was not able to purchase it back at least I did get better pictures from him of it and that it went to a good home , where it is appreciated for the early history of CGC and still is in its original sample case. :cloud9:20210403_020506.jpg.88b2ec9ed04631806c4cf537870202d5.jpg

And yes I am bringing it up again. :baiting:

Maybe one day.. :whistle::roflmao:

:foryou:

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Now that Valiantman is in here I can share a story without having to tag him. 

And yes I am bringing it up again. :baiting:

Maybe one day.. :whistle::roflmao:

:foryou:

I have held that comic since 2012. If you happen to have any old bitcoin laying around, we could probably work out a deal as if the trade never happened... using 2012 prices for the comic and the bitcoin. :foryou:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I have held that comic since 2012. If you happen to have any old bitcoin laying around, we could probably work out a deal as if the trade never happened... using 2012 prices for the comic and the bitcoin. :foryou:

Wish I had that kind of coinage.  :cry:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Make it Dr. Pepper Zero and you have a deal!

Helping mom tidy her storage locker a few years back I found a cardboard box full of comics she must have placed there when I moved out 30 years earlier, which was a big surprise to me because I thought I had taken my entire comic collection with me when I moved. The comics were all Gold Key, Archie and Charlton comics from the 1970s (many with my first name scrawled on the cover to prove ownership) that had been read over and over and over by me and my friends when I was a kid growing up in North Vancouver, BC. Zero resale value but a million dollars in memories. :cloud9:

I didn’t find a comic I once owned, however; When I was a young lad, just started collecting I was told a shop in town - Carol’s Kabin - sold comics. They said where it was so the next day I jumped off the school bus and ran to the shop. I asked the guy if they sold comics and with a rather puzzled face he told me no. As I turned to leave i realised it was an “adult” book shop - I had been punked. 
Anyway 20 years later I bought this, UK version of lancer paperback;
1238170D-9B8C-4EE9-905E-C10A38D12516.thumb.jpeg.8723cd297c66f710b84de125c8f61a45.jpeg

and bookshop stamp on the inside cover.....

B070AED3-A3FB-4CCF-8221-3F34CE2F0A96.thumb.jpeg.0cb61dfd5cbeecd779c2ae8addd0a854.jpeg

So i wasn’t quite such a naive young fool. 

I haven't found any comics I used to own, but like some others have already posted, I was able to track down the OO of a book in my collection who had written his name on the front cover. He was happy to see pictures of the book again. 

I once had a Hulk 180 or 182 (can't remember which) that had a "# 6" stamped on the cover. I have no idea what that meant but I sometimes look for it because it's so recognizable. 

I often put a tiny, light pencil mark in an un-obtrusive spot in most of my collection books. If my books were to be stolen, they could be easily identified. 

I sold a book years ago and unknowingly bought it back on the bay. I also bought a book back on the boards that I had sold here a year or so previously. It had, apparently passed through 3 hands before it came back. 

Not one of my books but several years ago, I bought a small group of BLBs at a flea market in the Bay Area. I got home and noticed the name “Jim Payette” written in pencil on the first page. I called the dealer Jim Payette in NH and asked him. Turned out they belonged to his dad and he had sold them years earlier. How they made their way from the East Coast to the West Coast, I don’t know. I ended up sending him a few of them back to him. He was pretty happy to have them back. Small world...