• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will ASM comics with covers and art by Steve Ditko continue to rise in value?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AwesomeSauce said:

Just curious about your thoughts. Any and all would be appreciated.

They are the earliest of the ASM run and the books feature the first appearances of some major marvel villains. The fact that Ditko was the cover artist is incidental.  When people are shopping for a copy of ASM 14 are they looking for a Ditko cover or the first appearance of the Green Goblin?   Is ASM 31 great because Ditko drew it or because it's the first appearance of Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn? 

Spiderman turns 60 next year. 

What were the value of some of the earlier Superman and Batman issues when they turned 60?  What will happen when they are 70 years old?  

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

What will happen when they are 70 years old?  

I can answer this question-

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I can answer this question-

You should answer it now then.  By the time Spider-man turns 70, it will be 2032. Unless you plan on making Guinness for being the oldest human on the planet, you best write it down now to preserve for future generations. 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You should answer it now then.  By the time Spider-man turns 70, it will be 2032. Unless you plan on making Guinness for being the oldest human on the planet, you best write it down now to preserve for future generations. 

well one of the things that happens when you turn 70 is a lot of tooth extractions-

1 minute ago, kav said:

well one of the things that happens when you turn 70 is a lot of tooth extractions-

I remember you telling us about that experience from... ten or fifteen years ago. 

Edited by Buzzetta

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I remember you telling us about that experience from... ten or fifteen years ago. 

well you asked me abt 70 not 85-
that's when the hemorrhoids kick in.

30 minutes ago, kav said:

29 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

200-2.gif.14d2c9de5e9c756ad8ee4d1296a610c3.gif

4 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

200-2.gif.14d2c9de5e9c756ad8ee4d1296a610c3.gif

One time I had to break up a fight in the cafeteria-one student said "Hey bluh you dropped yo tooth-"

Spider-Man is a top tier character, arguably the company’s best and top 3 across all pop culture. So he will always have fans. And as long as there are fans, they will seek out early appearances of the best rogues gallery in all of comics. Ditko was a great artist and it seems he resonates well even with newer younger collectors.

I would say the early ASM books are some of the best in terms of stories. The best in terms of artwork. And because it is part of the hobby, the best to invest in and speculate around. I would pick these books any day over certain “hot books of the moment” like say Daredevil 9, 10 or even Hulk 449. With those books, sure you have some interesting characters/teams but you don’t have enough of a die hard fan base to care long term for those characters like you do Spidey. Those are books that if you are dropping $200-500 on high grade raw/graded copies, you are betting on a show/movie to make those characters more and to have longevity. Reality is they may just appear once in a movie and be gone. And while it seems like Marvel hits on most things, they are bound to have some misses  and it’s the third and fourth tier characters that that will likely happen to.

Remember Thor the Dark World? I sold a raw copy of Thor 344 (first Malekith) for $100.  Now? That book can be had for under $10 easily. That person would have been much better off spending that $100 on a low grade (or even mid grade) lower ASM book at that has most definitely increased in value.

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Spider-Man is a top tier character, arguably the company’s best and top 3 across all pop culture. So he will always have fans. And as long as there are fans, they will seek out early appearances of the best rogues gallery in all of comics. Ditko was a great artist and it seems he resonates well even with newer younger collectors.

I would say the early ASM books are some of the best in terms of stories. The best in terms of artwork. And because it is part of the hobby, the best to invest in and speculate around. I would pick these books any day over certain “hot books of the moment” like say Daredevil 9, 10 or even Hulk 449. With those books, sure you have some interesting characters/teams but you don’t have enough of a die hard fan base to care long term for those characters like you do Spidey. Those are books that if you are dropping $200-500 on high grade raw/graded copies, you are betting on a show/movie to make those characters more and to have longevity. Reality is they may just appear once in a movie and be gone. And while it seems like Marvel hits on most things, they are bound to have some misses  and it’s the third and fourth tier characters that that will likely happen to.

Remember Thor the Dark World? I sold a raw copy of Thor 344 (first Malekith) for $100.  Now? That book can be had for under $10 easily. That person would have been much better off spending that $100 on a low grade (or even mid grade) lower ASM book at that has most definitely increased in value.

Wait... what’s so great about daredevil 9?  Didn’t realize I had a copy until I was pulling books for that modern thread a week ago 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Wait... what’s so great about daredevil 9?  Didn’t realize I had a copy until I was pulling books for that modern thread a week ago 

First Echo. That run is a fun run and people are going ga ga as she has apparently been cast for something....was a dollar or five book forever but now when paired with issue 10 from that run, seems to be fetching a cool hundo or more 

Edited by comicginger1789

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

First Echo. That run is a fun run and people are going ga ga as she has apparently been cast for something....was a dollar or five book forever but now when paired with issue 10 from that run, seems to be fetching a cool hundo or more 

Yeeeeeeah... I don't think we are talking about the same Daredevil 9

63952605636__A32DA0A2-44D1-4AC8-B349-3113497751FD.jpeg

On 4/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Just curious about your thoughts. Any and all would be appreciated.

I don't think it would be a price factor for most people as way more knowledgeable folks than me have alluded to in this thread. The funny thing is what finally made me pull the trigger on a Stan Lee signed book was that it was the last Ditko issue (#38). I doubt I would felt the "demand' for that book if I had not read a lot about the backstory at Marvel during that era from the boards here. If comics appreciate will ASM 1-38? With near certainty but not primarily because they are Steve Ditko art.

To your Malekith point in your later post I don't think they could have messed up a villain more than they messed up Malekith. We did not even get the land of Faerie or David Bowie labyrinth vibes! He was zero fun in that movie :(

I am 100% certain of this. Simply because a big chunk of them have more than just steve ditko art to keep their price. Many issues are integral to the character's history and feature early appearances of characters that have shaped the spider-man and marvel brand. 

Also, they all come from an era where comics were still mainly read by kids and disregarded as anything of value so many have been destroyed or thrown out as you would a newspaper, making them scarce, or at least scarce in higher grades. 

Edited by William-James88