• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking a 1st Generation Holder

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've only cracked maybe 2 or 3 slabs over the years, but they were new slabs a few years old at most.  Does anyone know if there is any extra risk in cracking a 1st generation holder that about 20 years old? I've seen comics that were stored in old thick yellowed plastic sleeves for decades and if I recall some were difficult to remove because they were stuck to the plastic.

It's probably nothing to worry about. I'm planning on cracking a slab from 2001 containing a Silver Age book and I am a little concerned that after 20 years it may be stuck to the inner well holder which if so could be an expensive lesson to learn.

13 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi everyone, I've only cracked maybe 2 or 3 slabs over the years, but they were new slabs a few years old at most.  Does anyone know if there is any extra risk in cracking a 1st generation holder that about 20 years old? I've seen comics that were stored in old thick yellowed plastic sleeves for decades and if I recall some were difficult to remove because they were stuck to the plastic.

It's probably nothing to worry about. I'm planning on cracking a slab from 2001 containing a Silver Age book and I am a little concerned that after 20 years it may be stuck to the inner well holder which if so could be an expensive lesson to learn.

Those are usually the easiest ones to crack out... 

The outer holder should be easy to crack. Flex it a bit to loosen it up and then you should be able to pry open the sides (there's usually a slight opening on the sides of those old holders). 

For opening the inner well, I've used a variety of methods, but for me scissors work best. Just be careful not to trim the book and try and keep the well from bending when you're cutting it---I'd advise using a sturdy table for this part of the process. The tricky part is to trim just enough to open the heat seal that runs around the edges of the well. If you can't get the well completely open, carefully slide a thin backing board underneath the book and slowly work the book onto the board while you remove it from the well. Take your time and make sure you don't snag it on a rough edge... 

I hope this helps and happy cracking! 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Those are usually the easiest ones to crack out... 

The outer holder should be easy to crack. Flex it a bit to loosen it up and then you should be able to pry open the sides (there's usually a slight opening on the sides of those old holders). 

For opening the inner well, I've used a variety of methods, but for me scissors work best. Just be careful not to trim the book and try and keep the well from bending when you're cutting it---I'd advise using a sturdy table for this part of the process. The tricky part is to trim just enough to open the heat seal that runs around the edges of the well. If you can't get the well completely open, carefully slide a thin backing board underneath the book and slowly work the book onto the board while you remove it from the well. Take your time and make sure you don't snag it on a rough edge... 

I hope this helps and happy cracking! 

Thanks! That backing board method is a good idea and on a table is best so it doesn't bend. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Thanks! That backing board method is a good idea and on a table is best so it doesn't bend. (thumbsu

Just make sure there are no tears on the cover of the comic book that can get caught on the backing board or the edges of the well and you should be fine...  (thumbsu