• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

Anyone hear about this new sale? Private one through Comicconnect/Vincent. It’s not even promoted on his site from what I can tell. Also doesn’t say the grade in the article and the photo doesn’t show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/06/rare-superman-comic-sells-for-record-3point25-million.html

Edited by LDarkseid1

11 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Anyone hear about this new sale? Private one through Comicconnect/Vincent. It’s not even promoted on his site from what I can tell. Also doesn’t say the grade in the article and the photo doesn’t show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/06/rare-superman-comic-sells-for-record-3point25-million.html

Zurzolo said that while there were hundreds of thousands of copies initially published, it’s estimated only about 100 exist today, and in varying conditions. He said this copy is among the best-kept ones.

I believe there are more than 100 surviving copies.

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Zurzolo said that while there were hundreds of thousands of copies initially published, it’s estimated only about 100 exist today, and in varying conditions. He said this copy is among the best-kept ones.

I believe there are more than 100 surviving copies.

Yeah I know @G.A.torhas said there’s at least over 200-250 copies.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Here was a letter and post card I got from ComicConnect back on February 1, 2011 advertising the Kansas City AC#1 being the first to break $1Million dollar barrier , and at the time setting the reigning Guinness World Record with the $1.5 Million sale of CGC's highest graded copy ( at the time)

20210406_210258.thumb.jpg.dac3e8efb35c62e1215b63ce47549aea.jpg20210406_210401.thumb.jpg.e4e0830692585374bc4c6a26aabe5a48.jpg20210406_210621.thumb.jpg.9f8a4e2565166e700a8b6c036a5004c1.jpg

27 minutes ago, thedude said:

thanks man, couldn't remember the amount after the . (point), (thumbsu

well then, GO Action #1!!!  :banana:

Yeah I own a couple pages, but none of the Superman story pages. I know Gator has owned like 20 copies in various condition lol. If I had that kind of money I’d love to just buy a coverless complete copy and take it with me to my grave lol. It would be chained around me with various deathly booby traps if someone tried to remove it 😂.

I have been there and done that many years before and I believe TODAY, this is a major milestone price breaker...a 8.5 has broken the world record price, broken 3 million... here what this means:

1-9.0 white pages 5M

2-9.0 the other one 4.5 M and possibly 5M

The ceiling has been broken, the next ceiling is 5M or 6M and folks it is coming 5 years max.

3-It is official. the speculators are here... they are for real, and now the issue is for how long, and how will they exit...I can say one thing, they will not exit until they make a very good profit...

4-Any copy of A1, unrestored or coverless just went up in value...and look for those speculators to go after 3.5 and 5.0 copies they are not gonna rest just on this one.

5- I agree with Gator, there are a lot of ungraded copies out there, however the number in my opinion is smaller as there could be a number of regrades, just look at the top of the chain.

In that regards, Mike Uslan went to DC archives who have the sales records and print runs of Action and Superman...here is the kicker that you need to know

Action #1 print run 250,000

Superman #1 ( which came out a year later)  500,000 first print, which was a sell out

350,000 second print..which was a sell out, you tell the difference by a house ad advertising another GA book, one coming, the next on sale now etc

150,000 third print run...I do not know if that was a sell out

Lets not forget, no matter what Action 1 is truly the "king of comics" 

6- This could be just the beginning of the true comic book collector's getting outbid by investors who are gonna take the price up and away from us.

My Advice:

To any and all True GA/SA comic book collectors, you need move NOW on those keys if your collection needs one...try if possible Blue Label, good page quality and staple quality or you are gonna be left behind, consignlower grade material and get a cash advance and trade up, after Bat and Sup, Cap#1 is next

Edited by Mmehdy

I know this is a record and all, but isn't this sale kind of low? A decade later and the 2nd highest graded Action 1 only doubles in value?

Didn't we just see that a 7.0 Tec 27 tripled in value in that time period, and HG Bat 1s have at least gone up 5x in the last decade, as has Superman #1. And does anyone doubt that the 9.0 Marvel #1 pay copy would sell for more than double its $227K price from 2010?

Sad to think that the #1 book in the hobby would give you the worst return out of all the mega-keys in the last decade.

36 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I own a couple pages, but none of the Superman story pages. I know Gator has owned like 20 copies in various condition lol. If I had that kind of money I’d love to just buy a coverless complete copy and take it with me to my grave lol. It would be chained around me with various deathly booby traps if someone tried to remove it 😂.

200-1.gif.cab596c76d9ac622bf4883bf90119af6.gif

13 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I know this is a record and all, but isn't this sale kind of low? A decade later and the 2nd highest graded Action 1 only doubles in value?

Didn't we just see that a 7.0 Tec 27 tripled in value in that time period, and HG Bat 1s have at least gone up 5x in the last decade, as has Superman #1. And does anyone doubt that the 9.0 Marvel #1 pay copy would sell for more than double its $227K price from 2010?

Sad to think that the #1 book in the hobby would give you the worst return out of all the mega-keys in the last decade.

See the source image:whistle: