• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Vincent in the email states that they first brokered the book for a world record $1.5M back in 2010, then again in 2017 for $1,750,000; for $2,050,000 in 2018,and now for $3,250,000 in 2021.  :applause:

The $1.5 was through ComicConnect which I shared the letter and post card they mailed out after to try to drum up consignments a few pages back.

Yes, the $1.5M sale shows up in their auction archives as a non-auction sale in 2010 while the $2,052,000 sale shows up as an auction sale in 2018.  (thumbsu

Can't see the one for $1,750,000 in 2017, so I must assume it is probably a private brokered transaction where one of the 2 parties involved did not want any publicity on the sale of the book.  hm  (shrug)

Surprised not to see the $3.25M sale in there yet as during their Event Auctions ever since their website update last year, the auction archives are updated pretty much instantaneously.  I guess since this is a non-auction private sale somebody probably has to manually go in there and input the sale into their auction archives.  :taptaptap:

To be fair a cgc rust designation can vary. ive seen books with just a slight staple corrosion receiving a rusted staple notation by cgc. Heck i have owned books with slight corrosion for more than 15 years. And there is no deterioration of any kind nor any migration to paper. Just sayin.

With a "private sale", how do we actually know if this Action #1 sold for the price quoted?  Interesting it would sell for $50K more than the last record price.  Is it a legitimate sale or possible market manipulation by savvy comic dealers with the book never even changing hands?  Fairly new to GA so wondering if this would be a practice performed in some circles? hm:popcorn:

Edited by mosconi

On 4/6/2021 at 10:13 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Here was a letter and post card I got from ComicConnect back on February 1, 2011 advertising the Kansas City AC#1 being the first to break $1Million dollar barrier , and at the time setting the reigning Guinness World Record with the $1.5 Million sale of CGC's highest graded copy ( at the time)

20210406_210258.thumb.jpg.dac3e8efb35c62e1215b63ce47549aea.jpg20210406_210401.thumb.jpg.e4e0830692585374bc4c6a26aabe5a48.jpg20210406_210621.thumb.jpg.9f8a4e2565166e700a8b6c036a5004c1.jpg

I have that as well. It is the closest I will get to owning an Action Comics 1.

5 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

To be fair a cgc rust designation can vary. ive seen books with just a slight staple corrosion receiving a rusted staple notation by cgc. Heck i have owned books with slight corrosion for more than 15 years. And there is no deterioration of any kind nor any migration to paper. Just sayin.

When the book was in the old holder with the rusty staples notation, I believe you could see the staples in a scan of the front cover.  I think they were rusted pretty bad.  I wonder if the book was pressed to place the staples in the center of the spine, where they would be more difficult to see.  Does anyone have a scan of the book in the old holder?

5 hours ago, mosconi said:

With a "private sale", how do we actually know if this Action #1 sold for the price quoted?  Interesting it would sell for $50K more than the last record price.  Is it a legitimate sale or possible market manipulation by savvy comic dealers with the book never even changing hands?  Fairly new to GA so wondering if this would be a practice performed in some circles? hm:popcorn:

That would probably be the death knell to any business if that were found to be the case...

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

My wife showed me this article on her laptop and asked if this is an issue we have. I said I would check in the back.

Believe me, if you DID have it, your wife would immediately see to it that there was another copy on the market  lol

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

When the book was in the old holder with the rusty staples notation, I believe you could see the staples in a scan of the front cover.  I think they were rusted pretty bad.  I wonder if the book was pressed to place the staples in the center of the spine, where they would be more difficult to see.  Does anyone have a scan of the book in the old holder?

act1.6777a.jpgact1.6777b.jpg

Edited by woowoo

6 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

That would probably be the death knell to any business if that were found to be the case...

Yeah I think you can take the word "probably" out of that sentence lol. Your reputation goes deep deep into the gutter if you were caught doing something like that at this level.

4 minutes ago, woowoo said:

act1.6777a.jpgact1.6777b.jpg

Damn, they definitely did a good job dry cleaning that copy from when it was in the 1st gen label to the current one. Because unless it's the auction lighting playing tricks on me from when it sold for the $2,052,000 amount, it looks much cleaner. I bet it would have bumped if not for those rusty staples.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Believe me, if you DID have it, your wife would immediately see to it that there was another copy on the market  lol

It would definitely take our bathroom renovation to the next level.

7 hours ago, mosconi said:

What I had meant by a "private sale" was simply sold in a non-auction sales format.  :gossip:

Not sure why you would think there would be more market manipulation with a so-called private sales as opposed to a public auction where you can have shill bidding taking place or any other form of market manipulation taking place.  Especially since we have seen some rather questionable auction results here before.  (shrug)

Actually, before we had all of these big high profile auctions, were all auctions done in this so-called private sales whether it be at a comic convention, over the telephone, or from a sales catalogue?  hm

3 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

I don’t blame this person, it would be cool to see this sell for the asking price and break another record!

Looks like the seller is just trying to get some timely promotion for his EXTENSIVE RESTORED copy of Action 1 here.  :gossip:

The only record he has a chance of breaking here would be one for a restored comic, but only if he can find a buyer for this book at a tiny fraction of his asking price.  Probably something in the 10% range or thereabouts if he's lucky.  lol  :wishluck:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like the seller is just trying to get some timely promotion for his EXTENSIVE RESTORED copy of Action 1 here.  :gossip:

The only record he has a chance of breaking here would be one for a restored comic, but only if he can find a buyer for this book at a tiny fraction of his asking price.  Probably something in the 10% range or thereabouts if he's lucky.  lol  :wishluck:

Considering how the market currently is right now, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone actually bought this restored copy for $3.5M but it’s still a cool book nonetheless, restored or not. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

Yeah that ain't selling for 3.5 mil or anywhere near that. Based off the resto, it's basically an insanely beautiful .5 with how much was done to it and added. I agree with Lou, somewhere in the 10% range of what they're asking would be best case scenario.

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

My wife showed me this article on her laptop and asked if this is an issue we have. I said I would check in the back.

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

It would definitely take our bathroom renovation to the next level.

FB_IMG_1610934716318.jpg.511752bb858457011e7e90937caa9d05.jpg

56 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

I don’t blame this person, it would be cool to see this sell for the asking price and break another record!

(shrug)

49 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I shared that, but definitely not mine wish I could afford those books( even restored) :cloud9:. They also have a sup 1 and bat 1 both also restored, but I didn't add those here.