• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Damn, they definitely did a good job dry cleaning that copy from when it was in the 1st gen label to the current one. Because unless it's the auction lighting playing tricks on me from when it sold for the $2,052,000 amount, it looks much cleaner. I bet it would have bumped if not for those rusty staples.

I think you are just seeing different light levels, the same defects are there now that were originally. It's an insanely beautiful copy that has rusted staples. I believe it presents better than both 9.0 copies, but certainly better than the first one at least.

act1.8348a.jpg

act1.6777a.jpg

act1.14162.jpg

2 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I think you are just seeing different light levels, the same defects are there now that were originally. It's an insanely beautiful copy that has rusted staples. I believe it presents better than both 9.0 copies, but certainly better than the first one at least.

act1.8348a.jpg

act1.6777a.jpg

act1.14162.jpg

dave hester yup.jpg

14 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

act1.8348a.jpg

act1.6777a.jpg

act1.14162.jpg

Yeah I was comparing the back mainly and I just felt there was much less surface wear noticeable in the current label than when it was in the 1st generation label. Definitely could have been “auction lighting” though lol

17 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

act1.8348a.jpg

act1.6777a.jpg

act1.14162.jpg

:takeit: if you can offer time payments for say the next 10,000 years or so.. 

Really I just love seeing them all together here. :cloud9:

22 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The two most important things for me after cover quality is paper and then staple. Bad pages which are gonna someday disintegrate or have a staple which is slowly going to do the same thing over time, decrease value and demand.

This kind of sat there without mention, but...

So after the most important thing, the cover, come the pages. And after the pages are the staples. So after the cover and the pages the most important thing is the staples.

Sort of like saying "you are my third best friend, after all of my family and then all of my other friends".

Would it be any different if you said that staples are the least important?

2 hours ago, Point Five said:
3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Believe me, if you DID have it, your wife would immediately see to it that there was another copy on the market  lol

It would definitely take our bathroom renovation to the next level.

At the amount you would be able to fetch for an Action 1 in that type of condition, it must be the biggest bathroom in the world then, as that kind of money should be good enough for a sizable down payment on your new house.  (thumbsu  :banana:

I want to correct those sale stats on  Superman#1

From the DC records department:

SUPERMAN #1 FIRST PRINT  500,000 a complete sell out-For the most valuable Superman #1 you can buy,  the  "First printing" ( look at the ad for Action #14 which say on sale "June 2").

SUPERMAN ##1 SECOND PRINT 250,000 (My mistake when I put 350k) a complete sell out  ( look at the ad for Action 14 which says on sale now)

SUPERMAN # 1 third print 150,000 sales unknown

I think today, a Superman #1 "first print" only  at 8.5 would bring the same $3.25M being close to the top copy in existence without a rusty staples I might add...

Edited by Mmehdy

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This kind of sat there without mention, but...

So after the most important thing, the cover, come the pages. And after the pages are the staples. So after the cover and the pages the most important thing is the staples.

Sort of like saying "you are my third best friend, after all of my family and then all of my other friends".

Would it be any different if you said that staples are the least important?

I think the fact that "rusty staples" endanger the book, along with the brittle pages which could fall apart just looking at the book are major issues here for me as a collector, and certainly as a investor, especially involving millions of dollars.To me if either pages or staples are bad are major major issues. But as it stands now you can repair this damage, and get this restored or conserved grade, but you as a collector/dealer know that $3.25 M is waaayyy out line in terms of actual resale value. So to address you directly, if the book has everything OK, then Cover is #1...but if the book has rusty staples which you cannot replace since you dropped $3.25 M dollars on the CGC unrestored grade, it becomes the biggest issue, especially long term for both the staple degeneration and paper bleed on the interior pages in my mind.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, lou_fine said:

And yet at the shallow end of the pool where buyers like me without the deep pockets hang out, if you take a look at their current Event Auction just over 20% of their auction lots are still sitting in single dollar digit territory or still even awaiting their first bid.  (thumbsu

Definitely good timing. In my opinion CL has been outperforming CC this year. 

40 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

SUPERMAN #1 FIRST PRINT  500,000 a complete sell out-For the most valuable Superman #1 you can buy,  the  "First printing" ( look at the ad for Action #14 which say on sale "June 2").

SUPERMAN ##1 SECOND PRINT 250,000 (My mistake when I put 350k) a complete sell out  ( look at the ad for Action 14 which says on sale now)

I think today, a Superman #1 "first print" only  at 8.5 would bring the same $3.25M being close to the top copy in existence without a rusty staples I might add...

How do you know the 2nd print says "On Sale Now" and that it's not just the 3rd print that says "On Sale Now"? 

On 4/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Anyone hear about this new sale? Private one through Comicconnect/Vincent. It’s not even promoted on his site from what I can tell. Also doesn’t say the grade in the article and the photo doesn’t show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/06/rare-superman-comic-sells-for-record-3point25-million.html

Actually this 8.5 went for significantly more when you consider the 9.0 was for 50k less.

46 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I wonder if we’ll ever even see a Supes 1 grade at that or higher. In 21 years we still only have 2 8.0’s as the highest. I guess we would likely see one of those bump to an 8.5 or 9.0 before a fresh to market copy could reach that.

4 minutes ago, action1kid said:

Actually this 8.5 went for significantly more when you consider the 9.0 was for 50k less.

Yeah I don’t know, I think there’s several ways you can look at this sale and feel it’s either somewhat underwhelming or impressive, as everyone’s been debating. I tend to lean towards an impressive and solid price, but if I’m being honest I thought it would reach this amount when it sold 3 years ago. 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, action1kid said:

Yes, but that was a long long 7 years ago way back in 2014 and therefore completely not even comparable at this point in time.  :gossip:

Just take a look at how much key books have gone up over the last few months, let along the last 7 years and you can just imagine how much more that CGC 9.0 graded copy of Action 1 would be going for in today's hyper driven comic book marketplace. hm

Nowhere even close to $3.2M anymore as it would be way past that price point by now.    :flipbait:

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

How do you know the 2nd print says "On Sale Now" and that it's not just the 3rd print that says "On Sale Now"? 

There is  a 30 day window on those Action issues, and as Superman 1  was originally one shot Action reprint 1-6 issue so the inside last back page  Ac 14 cover would take time  to change would be in time for the second printing. There are 3 sales reporting  periods initial  ( first week), mid and final. So  Interestingly Superman 2 were also a reprint.  2/3 weeks out that is when you change to on sale now. According to DC  Superman #2 two had two printings with first printing a 900K an second at 250K. Superman #2 was the first GA comic book to break a million copies. If I was spending Big $$. I would want a first print.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 4/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mmehdy said:

I agree it should not matter to the degree that it would cause the label to change, especially if replaced by "similar" staples from a other comic book from the time. But SFCduck, that is not the reality. This purchase, not matter how unwise it is, must judged by the rules which exist today.

Under todays rules, even you would not  purchase that book for 3.25 M given the conditions, we could buy some serious and great GA and not have worry about this issue, the damage caused by the rusty staple staying on the book for the last 75 years or so.

But my point is why pay the world's highest price for a book with issues...whether you think they are going to be changed down the road.....and how about cleaning the rust from the pages, it that gonna get it conserved?..too many issues with too high of a price..... 

Fact is, the "rules" in some cases need not apply. An Action 1 with rusty staples? The staples need to be replaced. If I pay 3.5 mill for a book of that caliber, some preservation is going to need to take place. Not going to let two oxidizing pieces of metal remain. In this case, if it violated "rules" set out by a company that in reality is only offering an opinion and a restoration check, out of the slab it comes. It's an Action 1. It can pretty much write its own check.

And really, there must be far more sophisticated means of preservation than a plastic slab with some absorbing wax paper between the cover and first page. At some point, very significant books need to be moved out of the grading world and into some serious preservation means. Not changing the book but as was pointed out, removing hazardous items so the books pages don't get further ruined. That book could lose a full point in grade. But who is going to submit it to be regraded knowing full well it'll take a massive value hit? Now it's a 7.5 with an 8.5 label. Some things NEED to happen. "Staples Replaced"? Shouldn't be restoration at all. These are rules people are self imposing or allowing to be imposed by a company hired to grade, not dictate terms. Sometimes rules need to be changed or done away with altogether for the sake of both the book and the hundreds of thousands of dollars people spend to have books like this.

Same with that 9.0 Bat 1 that had an aqueous cover clean. So? So what? "Rules"? What "rules"? The book was positively enhanced. Dirt was removed. That's it. The book can write its own ticket. It's a Bat 1 with a clean cover. An Action 1 with new clean staples. No way I would let the staples remain. If that meant de-slabbing it and storing it by different means, then so be it. I'll get a professional document restoring company to certify it hasn't been restored and if sell time comes, show proper paperwork. Still an Action 1.

23 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

"Staples Replaced"? Shouldn't be restoration at all. These are rules people are self imposing or allowing to be imposed by a company hired to grade, not dictate terms. Sometimes rules need to be changed or done away with altogether for the sake of both the book and the hundreds of thousands of dollars people spend to have books like this.

Same with that 9.0 Bat 1 that had an aqueous cover clean. So? So what? "Rules"? What "rules"? The book was positively enhanced. Dirt was removed. That's it.

Hmmmm....................that's exactly why it would no longer be considered to be Restored  :fear:, and instead, be classified as Conserved and residing in one of those slabs with a quasi-grey/blue label.  :gossip:

Then again, nonetheless, it's still a big knock to the book and its resultimng value.  :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine