• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Just a note to say that the imminent destruction of this copy of Action 1 is wildly exaggerated.  I saw the book 30 years ago.  And from the pics of it today, it doesn’t look any worse. It’s been carefully cared for most of its life, from a bank vault to a slab... and will be from now on.  it was even treated to a few Florida vacations at a very nice Humidity controlled spa where it was pampered by the staff day and night. It’s not falling apart any time soon.  Rust is not a living thing like tartar on your teeth.  It’s a chemical reaction. It needs humidity to “grow” and this book won’t be left out in the rain ever.

and geez, there’s nothing sacred about an Action 1.  You hold it in your hands and flip through it, and guess what, it’s just a comic book.  It’s kind of a letdown really.

:whatthe:

3 hours ago, Aman619 said:

and geez, there’s nothing sacred about an Action 1.  You hold it in your hands and flip through it, and guess what, it’s just a comic book.  It’s kind of a letdown really.

Yes. Just a comic book. That spun off all the genres of hero books. You must be a joy while opening your X-Mas presents.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:49 PM, Timely said:
On 4/8/2021 at 4:23 PM, action1kid said:

I do believe this is the original PCE copy before slabbed.

Yes, Rotor sold it for $137,000 or so initially.

So, if this is the PCE copy owned by Robert Roter to start with, which was the copy that was owned by Danny Kramer?  ???

I thought Kramer had picked up a copy in about the same condition range, or is this the Roter copy that eventually ending up with Kramer during one of its many rest stops on its way to this just completed sale by Metro/CC?  hm  (shrug)

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, if this is the PCE copy owned by Robert Roter to start with, which was the copy that was owned by Danny Kramer?  ???

I thought Kramer had picked up a copy in about the same condition range, or is this the Roter copy that eventually ending up with Kramer during one of its many rest stops on its way to this just completed sale by Metro/CC?  hm  (shrug)

Yes, Kramer bought it from Roter.

9 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, Kramer bought it from Roter.

Hey Sean;

Greatly appreciate you clearing that up for me here.  (thumbsu

Yes, wasn;t that Kramer just a little buzzsaw when he first got into GA comics as I still remember him running all around the SD Con back there in 94 or thereabouts.  He was just grabbing almost everything half decent that was in his sights like a crazed buyer and totally non-stop with all the questions, almost like he was on a complete high and just needed all of the answers right away.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

When he set a target on a specific book, it seem like he would do almost anything to acquire it at the time.  Like most other deep pocketed collectors though, a big big flash while he was there, but seemingly also left just as fast a few years later after he had lost interest in the hobby.  (shrug)

13 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Just a note to say that the imminent destruction of this copy of Action 1 is wildly exaggerated.  I saw the book 30 years ago.  And from the pics of it today, it doesn’t look any worse. It’s been carefully cared for most of its life, from a bank vault to a slab... and will be from now on.  it was even treated to a few Florida vacations at a very nice Humidity controlled spa where it was pampered by the staff day and night. It’s not falling apart any time soon.  Rust is not a living thing like tartar on your teeth.  It’s a chemical reaction. It needs humidity to “grow” and this book won’t be left out in the rain ever.

lol  Must have taken a wrong turn on the way to Modern Age Comic Books forum.

Edited by pemart1966

On 4/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, BuyTheRedCar said:

In my opinion, the conserved/restored effect on value debate usually fails to acknowledge a likely truth.  That is, every comic book of significant value has (probably) undergone some manipulation or beautification (amateur, professional or both) in an attempt to improve its appearance and grade.  As the value of the book increases so does the economic incentive to improve its appearance.  1) The fact that grading companies do not notate certain kinds of manipulation is hypocrisy in our system (my opinion again). 2) Furthermore, the fact that certain kinds of manipulation are not detectable is merely a weakness in our grading methods.

Consider for a moment the following idea:  CGC begins noting on the label that a book has been pressed and/or dry cleaned. For any given grade, would a buyer pay the same price for a book with such a notation on its label as book without that notation?

Under current grading standards, buyers do pay the same.  But, IF the label was changed.... so would our pricing.

It is all about the economics of efficient markets.  More information leads to better decision making.

The simplicity of a color coded label and a three tier system should give way to some sort of document with meaningful details/photos of the type/extent/quality of the work. Then factors such as, who did the work (Cicconi, Sanderson, Heft, Nelson, DeChellis or someone with a t-shirt press and a handheld Conair humidifier etc.) become much more important.  The buyer spending thousands would like to know this information as much as the buyer spending millions, and both would probably would pay for it.

I believe if we started looking at these kinds of details, we would start caring less about simple colors/descriptors.  

I agree probably now with pressing a majority of the comic books has undergone some manipulation or beautification I also agree that grade manipulation not being detectable is going on as we speak. I like the notation idea..it refreshing and informs the buyer as to what has been altered or enhanced. Better decision making with more information is a great reality. Great post....

On 4/9/2021 at 11:19 PM, Randall Ries said:

Yes. Just a comic book. That spun off all the genres of hero books. You must be a joy while opening your X-Mas presents.

well sure, its freighted with enormous symbolism and awe.  But its surprisingly just like any other GA comic in hand. 

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

well sure, its freighted with enormous symbolism and awe.  But its surprisingly just like any other GA comic in hand. 

Well, yes. The tactile experience is the same. When I looked through a friends copy, it didn't cure my leprosy. When I eventually handed it over to her, I realized my page turning index finger was missing and I asked her to check to see if it was stuck in the book. Sure enough it was! Butter fingers! Boy. Was MY FACE RED!

It was the enormous symbolism and awe that got to me. It isn't something I had done before or have since. I was a 20 year old kid with a deep love for the GA genre. It wasn't as though I was submersed in them every day. Having every single key issue sitting in front of me blew my head off. She produced every one I asked for. The Detective 27 was heavier than the Action 1. And the Batman 1 was heaviest of all. That's still a grail. Albeit one I will never own. It was as though life was taunting me. There were the 3 in the bottom of the paper bag I mentioned plus her personal copy.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude to you. Wasn't my intent. You seem a little indifferent about it. I imagine you must have seen and handled all these books many times. I haven't. They weren't and still AREN'T "product" or "blue chip books" or a "commodity".  If comic books ever become that way for me, I'll quit the whole thing entirely. Life has jaded me toward a great many things. I hope I never lose grokking the enormous symbolism and awe of all those books that helped shape pop culture as we know it.

It was a wonderful opportunity to physically and emotionally connect to those books that day. It was awesome my friend understood how important it was for me to be able to and made the offer. She knew I was humped. A 20 year old kid with no marketable skills and a baby and another on the way. She knew full well I was humped. She knew I would - at least in the near future - never have ANY of those books.

Maybe that was the difference. It wasn't at a potential sellers house or a show. I needed to see them and she had bragging rights and loved comic books. Money - to her I think - was way beside the point. She loved the things. She had the means to purchase and collect everything she wanted. So, she got to see me fawn and she was able to show off her collection. It was a very "human being" hour and a half or so. I miss that. It doesn't happen very often anymore.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Having every single key issue sitting in front of me blew my head off. She produced every one I asked for. The Detective 27 was heavier than the Action 1. And the Batman 1 was heaviest of all. That's still a grail. Albeit one I will never own. It was as though life was taunting me. There were the 3 in the bottom of the paper bag I mentioned plus her personal copy.

Soft drink heiress?  The one who beat out Ian for the complete DC collection?

7 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, yes. The tactile experience is the same. When I looked through a friends copy, it didn't cure my leprosy. When I eventually handed it over to her, I realized my page turning index finger was missing and I asked her to check to see if it was stuck in the book. Sure enough it was! Butter fingers! Boy. Was MY FACE RED!

It was the enormous symbolism and awe that got to me. It isn't something I had done before or have since. I was a 20 year old kid with a deep love for the GA genre. It wasn't as though I was submersed in them every day. Having every single key issue sitting in front of me blew my head off. She produced every one I asked for. The Detective 27 was heavier than the Action 1. And the Batman 1 was heaviest of all. That's still a grail. Albeit one I will never own. It was as though life was taunting me. There were the 3 in the bottom of the paper bag I mentioned plus her personal copy.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude to you. Wasn't my intent. You seem a little indifferent about it. I imagine you must have seen and handled all these books many times. I haven't. They weren't and still AREN'T "product" or "blue chip books" or a "commodity".  If comic books ever become that way for me, I'll quit the whole thing entirely. Life has jaded me toward a great many things. I hope I never lose grokking the enormous symbolism and awe of all those books that helped shape pop culture as we know it.

It was a wonderful opportunity to physically and emotionally connect to those books that day. It was awesome my friend understood how important it was for me to be able to and made the offer. She knew I was humped. A 20 year old kid with no marketable skills and a baby and another on the way. She knew full well I was humped. She knew I would - at least in the near future - never have ANY of those books.

Maybe that was the difference. It wasn't at a potential sellers house or a show. I needed to see them and she had bragging rights and loved comic books. Money - to her I think - was way beside the point. She loved the things. She had the means to purchase and collect everything she wanted. So, she got to see me fawn and she was able to show off her collection. It was a very "human being" hour and a half or so. I miss that. It doesn't happen very often anymore.

youre right of course.. I didnt think you were rude, I was just reacting in a cynical way to all the gushing.  But I get it, really I do. These books are the holy grails we all aspire to, and they are increasingly out of reach now, so their status is enormously palpable. Im just a bit jaded at this point.  As for Christine's "heavier" Tec 27 its probably cause it had more restoration than the Action 1!   just kidding, but when the goal is to own everything, you make allowances for restored copies in the runs.  She's vert sweet, Ive seen her at shows --- STILL BUYING new comics!

28 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

As for Christine's "heavier" Tec 27 its probably cause it had more restoration than the Action 1!   just kidding, but when the goal is to own everything, you make allowances for restored copies in the runs.

I didn't get the impression anything she had at that point was restored. It was 1983. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Books were a LOT less expensive in 1983 and she had cash flow.

I'm glad to hear she is still out there giving it Hell!

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Soft drink heiress?  The one who beat out Ian for the complete DC collection?

Yes. Sort of. She and her brother were partners in a Pepsi bottling company. Still are, I imagine. I don't know who she beat out. She was driven, so I imagine should could have beat out just about anyone.

54 minutes ago, woowoo said:
2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Yes. Sort of. She and her brother were partners in a Pepsi bottling company. Still are, I imagine. I don't know who she beat out. She was driven, so I imagine should could have beat out just about anyone.

This guy gave her a good run. He sent me these pics after he bought my Tec 3 and 4. last pic he just sent me end of last year.

Yeah, I believe she beat out Ian for the complete DC Collection which apparently did not make him too happy at all.  :slapfight:  :censored:

Wasn't it a minor book like Buzzy 70 or something like that which was the last book he needed to finish off his DC Collection?  hm

59 minutes ago, woowoo said:

This guy gave her a good run. He sent me these pics after he bought my Tec 3 and 4. last pic he just sent me end of last year.

Ian_Levine_-pic-1.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-2.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-3.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-4.jpg

Ian_Levine_-Pic-5.jpg

Ian_Levine_-pic-6.jpg

Those are great photos.  It's too bad he included the bogus Double Action #1 in the groupings.  At the time, he hadn't realized he'd been duped.

Just now, RareHighGrade said:

Those are great photos.  It's too bad he included the bogus Double Action #1 in the groupings.  At the time, he hadn't realized he'd been duped.

He had 5 done by Matt Nelson he told me :preach:The copy's cost him 500 each and Matt told him this is the way the book would have looked. I got a copy included on my Detective 3 sale so you saying I got duped @RareHighGrade:popcorn::baiting:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I believe she beat out Ian for the complete DC Collection which apparently did not make him too happy at all.  :slapfight:  :censored:

Wasn't it a minor book like Buzzy 70 or something like that which was the last book he needed to finish off his DC Collection?  hm

New Adventure 26 I think. But he did a book made for his sons birthday from DC That she did not have Last book on top shelf :taptaptap:

Ian_Levine_-pic-3.jpg

Edited by woowoo