• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, woowoo said:

He had 5 done by Matt Nelson he told me :preach:The copy's cost him 500 each and Matt told him this is the way the book would have looked. I got a copy included on my Detective 3 sale so you saying I got duped @RareHighGrade:popcorn::baiting:

You were only duped woowoo if you believed that was the actual cover to DA #1.  Ian believed it was and championed it as such in numerous GA threads, despite significant skepticism expressed by many.  

2 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

You were only duped woowoo if you believed that was the actual cover to DA #1.  Ian believed it was and championed it as such in numerous GA threads, despite significant skepticism expressed by many.  

I just took the book cause it was free. I love the look of the real 1937 thru 1940 books. But i did stay at a Best Western they left the light on for me :ohnoez:

Edited by woowoo

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I believe she beat out Ian for the complete DC Collection which apparently did not make him too happy at all.  :slapfight:  :censored:

Wasn't it a minor book like Buzzy 70 or something like that which was the last book he needed to finish off his DC Collection?  hm

She was always aggressive when she wanted something. I don't know anything about Ian or her competing. The loser is rarely happy. If Ian was missing 1 book, that's not a complete collection. All I know is she won an award for having every DC comic book ever printed. Man, that's a lot of books.

For me, it was a memory I won't forget. She was a tough lady. She didn't get pushed around and further, she knew her stuff. And although I don't really believe in that positive thinking thing will draw positive things our way, seeing 3 raw Bat 1's in the bottom of that bag gave me pause for thought. Only comics I find off the cuff like that are usually beat to Hell westerns. One guy had a Bat 5 at a flea market but wanted too much for it. He left it in the sun all summer and bleached the cover white. At the end of the season, I saw him again and he still wouldn't come down on his price. Even though he ruined it.

In fact, I think that was the last time I saw Chris. In 2000 or so at that flea market. She never stopped looking and searching for books. Hmm. I wonder if she'd take $3,000 for one of those Bat 1's NOW? LOL!

Edited by Randall Ries

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

New Adventure 26 I think. But he did a book made for his sons birthday from DC That she did not have Last book on top shelf :taptaptap:

Ian_Levine_-pic-3.jpg

You must be referring to :

20210411_184612.jpg.05508a9319f612b577d876ba05a8a497.jpg

Superman: Bradman Family Special Edition

One-Shot (1988) DC Comics

"''This Island Bradman!''"

This is an extremely rare Superman comic produced by DC's special projects department in the late 1980s. British property tycoon, Godfrey Bradman, commissioned a Superman comic for his son Daniel's 13th birthday/Bar Mitzvah. The story features family members as prominent characters, Daniel in particular. In addition to the copies sent to the Bradmans, some were kept at DC to be circulated among current staff. Less than 250 copies were produced. (Some sources site 250, others 100, and another only 25 copies.) Far fewer still survive, making this one of the rarest Superman comics around.
The indicia title is simply "Superman".

This comic was commissioned by English property tycoon Godfrey Bradman for somewhere around £10,000 (around $18,000 back then) to celebrate his son Daniel's 13th birthday (Bar Mitzvah) and was given out to his friends to mark the occasion. The comic was written by David Levin and drawn by the legendary Curt Swan with inking from Angelo Torres, who helped capture the likenesses of the Bradman family.

The comic features Godfrey's son Daniel and Andrew Hunt (Daniel's half-brother), along with the rest of the family, in a story entitled "This Island Bradman" where both Superman and the Bradman's house are transported to an alien world to serve as entertainment. Superman is trapped inside the bubble containing the house by Kryptonite beams but the boys manage to escape through an air duct and free Superman who returns them all home.

It is not clear exactly how many copies were produced and figures of anything between 25 and 250 have been suggested. 100 seems to be the number quoted most widely as the number received by the family, including one source from within DC Comics and also from a previous owner of one of the comics who had been close to the Bradman family. However, it has been noted that a number of copies were kept by DC and distributed internally (some of which have come up sale) and in Paul Levitz's "75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking" 200 is quoted as the print run so this number seems to have some legitimacy.

Also contain a reprint of John Byrnes Superman (1987?) #2

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:
11 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Expand  

That’s a 76 page rabbit hole that I may go down but only if they answered my question. Who’s checking?

I'm not sure.  Maybe the answer is in one of these two threads.

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Glad to get a mention - I did bring that New Adventure # 26 for Ian, I remember Harley throwing it across his table to me. The Adventure # 40 in the pic I bought for him on eBay in the UK.

He once told me that his Girls' Love # 3 I think it was was actually a Canadian copy with different contents, so technically the collection was not complete...All sold off now anyway.  I had a really good chat with Christine one night in NY, a very nice lady indeed.

17 hours ago, woowoo said:

New Adventure 26 I think. But he did a book made for his sons birthday from DC That she did not have Last book on top shelf :taptaptap:

Ian_Levine_-pic-3.jpg

They were both going for newstand available comics.  There ain't no way anyone is going to get all the giveaways, let alone the foreign editions.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

They were both going for newstand available comics.  There ain't no way anyone is going to get all the giveaways, let alone the foreign editions.

Maybe you didn't know Chris. You see a picture of her in medical journals that explain OCD to physicians. LOL! She may not have gone after the foreign editions (Heck. I wouldn't either) but I bet she went after all the known giveaways.

There's a lot of drama in this thread that I missed. I only heard from a mutual friend many years ago that Overstreet had given her an award for having all the DC comics ever printed. I didn't know she was actually competing with someone else.

So this Ian guy had a stroke? He alienated Zurzorlo? What became of his collection? Is it buried on Oak Island or something. What a great name for a pedigree that would be. I want a "Wheels Are In Motion" t-shirt.