• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

So this Ian guy had a stroke? He alienated Zurzorlo? What became of his collection? Is it buried on Oak Island or something. What a great name for a pedigree that would be. I want a "Wheels Are In Motion" t-shirt.

Offered for sale as a group through Christies.  Don't know if it sold, but someone up thread said it did.

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Offered for sale as a group through Christies.  Don't know if it sold, but someone up thread said it did.

So this Ian person got sick and had to sell his collection. Life is a beach, isn't it.? If I won a billion dollar lottery, I would die from a heart attack while being informed.

Just now, Randall Ries said:

So this Ian person got sick and had to sell his collection. Life is a beach, isn't it.? If I won a billion dollar lottery, I would die from a heart attack while being informed.

Correction Sotheby's.  

https://www.sothebys.com/en/series/dc-complete-the-ian-levine-collection

58 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

So this Ian guy had a stroke? He alienated Zurzorlo? What became of his collection? Is it buried on Oak Island or something. What a great name for a pedigree that would be. I want a "Wheels Are In Motion" t-shirt.

Facebook, Twitter, and the entire internet is buzzing about me selling my DC Comics Collection. But they all got it wrong. In 2008 I sold them to my dear friend, John Barton, for a tiny fraction of their value with the intention of being allowed to keep them in my house until I died. But when DC ended all their runs and reverted to restarting at number one for them all, I was so sickened that I gave him permission to sell them. They were all taken away around 2015 and every comic was examined and graded by Paul Sassiene, comic expert, for Sotherbys. I rather resent everybody assuming I'm the one who's selling them, having given up the ownership twelve years ago. Sotherby's have had them for five years now so I'm bemused that the story has suddenly become public. Fifty years hard, devoted, dedicated work, and all I ever got back was a mere fraction of what I paid for them, yet they will always be known as The Ian Levine Collection.

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

Facebook, Twitter, and the entire internet is buzzing about me selling my DC Comics Collection. But they all got it wrong. In 2008 I sold them to my dear friend, John Barton, for a tiny fraction of their value with the intention of being allowed to keep them in my house until I died. But when DC ended all their runs and reverted to restarting at number one for them all, I was so sickened that I gave him permission to sell them. They were all taken away around 2015 and every comic was examined and graded by Paul Sassiene, comic expert, for Sotherbys. I rather resent everybody assuming I'm the one who's selling them, having given up the ownership twelve years ago. Sotherby's have had them for five years now so I'm bemused that the story has suddenly become public. Fifty years hard, devoted, dedicated work, and all I ever got back was a mere fraction of what I paid for them, yet they will always be known as The Ian Levine Collection.

That's a weird hill to die on. Because of the New 52 thing? A grand project like that. "Fifty years hard, devoted, dedicated work" and he split hairs over DC starting over for the hundredth time? I'm surprised "Crisis On Infinite Earths" wasn't the catalyst.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That Action 1 can't be unrestored. Or the Tec 27.

They were restored, lots of the big books were, he was always strapped for cash.

I think I remember him telling me that Matt N pretty much recreated the cover to the 27.

7 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

They were restored, lots of the big books were, he was always strapped for cash.

I think I remember him telling me that Matt N pretty much recreated the cover to the 27.

The ACT1 is obvious. Not a great job. Christine's weren't restored. She simply had the buckaroos to get what she wanted. It was usual for her to come back from a buying trip having spent $30k. That was 1983 dollars, too. She went on many buying trips. Must be nice. I gave some thought to selling my 2011 Toyota Camry the other day. It's tip top and I have had it dealership serviced since the beginning. Take the proceeds and buy some comic books. But I could get maybe $6k for it and $6k doesn't go very far anymore.

I simply couldn't own something that was severely rebuilt. It's almost a counterfeit that way, IMO. Cover cleaned I can do. Minor color touch I can deal with. Not giant swaths of a cover replaced.

5 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I simply couldn't own something that was severely rebuilt. It's almost a counterfeit that way, IMO. Cover cleaned I can do. Minor color touch I can deal with. Not giant swaths of a cover replaced.

So not one like this.

20200720_221411.thumb.jpg.9bea832e0ef1abb2406e230107041f79.jpg

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So not one like this.

Exactly like that one. It's got to be whole. It doesn't have to be in perfect shape but no repro covers or anything like that. When I was a kid even, I hated coverless comics and thought reprinted ones were a gyp. Well, that wasn't until I was much older. I don't remember repro covers in the 1970's.

I'm not bagging on anyone who collects books like those, but I just can't see over the top of my OCD to get there myself. My first wife ripped a half inch into the Batman #9 spine of the entire book just to be a beach. I couldn't own it after that.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Exactly like that one. It's got to be whole. It doesn't have to be in perfect shape but no repro covers or anything like that. When I was a kid even, I hated coverless comics and thought reprinted ones were a gyp. Well, that wasn't until I was much older. I don't remember repro covers in the 1970's.

I'm not bagging on anyone who collects books like those, but I just can't see over the top of my OCD to get there myself. My first wife ripped a half inch into the Batman #9 spine of the entire book just to be a beach. I couldn't own it after that.

I do not blame you and completely understand.  Also this is not mine , it was listed on Ebay a while ago. I just saved it as there was a lot of discussion as this has a reprint cover with pieces of original taped on as well as tape on centerfold ( I would assume to hold the repro cover on) and even through it did get a 0.5 it is still the fact it was placed in a blue universal case that sparked the debate. 

23 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do not blame you and completely understand.  Also this is not mine , it was listed on Ebay a while ago. I just saved it as there was a lot of discussion as this has a reprint cover with pieces of original taped on as well as tape on centerfold ( I would assume to hold the repro cover on) and even through it did get a 0.5 it is still the fact it was placed in a blue universal case that sparked the debate. 

I noticed that. Thought it should be green at best. Who knows. What debate? It's green. Probably the friend of someone at CGC. It isn't who you know or who you meet.....

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

I noticed that. Thought it should be green at best. Who knows. What debate? It's green. Probably the friend of someone at CGC. It isn't who you know or who you meet.....

It was a debate over whether it should have received the blue vs any other. Although that came down to it was low enough grade it would have made a difference, so then it shifted to the fact that it was really only pieces of the cover taped to a repro and should have gotten a NG for not being complete.  Eventually those going back and forth found something else to get their attention.  

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Ian's post reminded me why so many people here disliked him.

3 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So not one like this.

I think this sold for like $47K when it was on eBay a year or so ago, and that was only like a month or two I want to say after it had sold for $27K at auction. I couldn’t understand it for the life of me at the time why someone would pay that much for this condition of a copy. Now though tough to say what it may be worth.

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I think this sold for like $47K when it was on eBay a year or so ago, and that was only like a month or two I want to say after it had sold for $27K at auction. I couldn’t understand it for the life of me at the time why someone would pay that much for this condition of a copy. Now though tough to say what it may be worth.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it's worth diddley. To someone else, a fortune.