• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Twice.

16 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Value is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it's worth diddley. To someone else, a fortune.

:jokealert:

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Ian's post reminded me why so many people here disliked him.

I never knew him on the forums. And I still say what a weird hill to die on. Capitulating while still grasping for immortality.

"Yes. I spent a fortune."
"Sold them for a fraction of their value."
"They will be forever known as the "Ian Levine Collection."

Sad. Probably not even that. Not if they are sold separately with out the CGC Stamp Of Approval. What a life. Spending hundreds of thousands. Miss one issue. Get "beaten by a girl", have a stroke, sell the books for gas and lotto ticket money. Whew. Like the elderly golfer dying of a heart attack on the golf course in the movie "Fallen Down":

"MY...golf...course!"
"Yeah! And now you are gonna die on it. Wearing that stupid looking hat! Now. Don't you feel silly?"

15 hours ago, woowoo said:

Sounds like you don't know how to pick them the first 2 times so i don't know if i would trust your opinion :baiting:its still unrestored coverless with centerfold :jokealert:

I finally found a woman worth being with. She takes good care of me and I her. Be surprised how many women out there like to be taken care of but don't know ANYTHING about caring for their man. They aren't rare. 21 years married to her, now. Even when a new book shows up in the mail, she will take it from me and look at it and say "neat". She has no idea what she's looking at but she knows it makes me momentarily happy. Who could ask for anything more?

Edited by Randall Ries

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Is that so? Some joke. A few of us didn't have Mama and Pop-Pop propping us up. Some of us weren't born with a silver spoon in their behinds. 3rd time's a charm. Tell me about your life and all the good things you have done and perfect decisions you have made. I probably lived more life in a week than you have in a decade.

I Believe you (worship)

10 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I was the underbidder on the Action 1 page 3 that just sold on Comicconnect. Kinda bummed, but congrats if it was a fellow boardie who won it 🙌

What did it go for ? I saw it at 6500

27 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Wow 200 off. I don't think you could have gone wrong that's going to just keep going up sorry you lost.

Yeah I mean it’s tough to know what the winning bidder was willing to go to. Maybe if I went to the next bid or $7400 it gets the job done, maybe they were willing to go further. I just knew I wasn’t going to bid more than $7K. Will have to wait for my next chance lol. Anyone remember this badass complete coverless copy? $83K seems like a solid deal now I would think lol.

6C6F568E-39BF-4B0C-9949-302E5E1C1ACF.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Ian's post reminded me why so many people here disliked him.

Imagine what it was like trying to deal with him in person.

He got hold of Christine's number once and called her up. The next day he calls me to complain that she wouldn't let him have whatever book he wanted from her, and I'm sitting there thinking what a terrible thing to do, to call someone you don't know, when you've been told not to, and then complain when they don't want anything to do with you...I think the word I'm looking for is 'entitled'.

Christine told me about that when I met her, she was really upset about it.

It was quite funny when his computer crashed and he was bleating on about having lost Robbie Williams ' phone number though.

Edited by quicksilver

5 hours ago, quicksilver said:

He got hold of Christine's number once and called her up. The next day he calls me to complain that she wouldn't let him have whatever book he wanted from her, and I'm sitting there thinking what a terrible thing to do, to call someone you don't know, when you've been told not to, and then complain when they don't want anything to do with you...I think the word I'm looking for is 'entitled'.

It was quite funny when his computer crashed and was bleating on about having lost Robbie Williams ' phone number though.

Sadly, there are plenty more like that not only in the comic book world but in the comic book art world...   

On 4/13/2021 at 2:22 AM, quicksilver said:

It was quite funny when his computer crashed and he was bleating on about having lost Robbie Williams ' phone number though.

I was the word we're looking for rhymes with foosh-bag.

I imagine the owner of the CGC 9.0 copy of this Action ashcan must also be quite ecstatic with this sale since it sounds as though they picked it up for $50K after it has first sold for only $17,825 in a Heritage Auction back in 2002:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-ashcan-dc-1938-this-gruesome-craig-flessel-cover-graces-the-comic-that-was-used-to-register-the-trade/a/805-5938.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #1 (Ashcan) (DC, 1938). This gruesome Craig Flessel cover graces the comic that was used to register the trade...

On 4/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, according to the email from Metro this morning and even before the one from CGC arrived in my email box, it looks like this is the fourth sale of this copy by Metro/CC within the past 10+ years.  :gossip:

Vincent in the email states that they first brokered the book for a world record $1.5M back in 2010, then again in 2017 for $1,750,000; for $2,050,000 in 2018,and now for $3,250,000 in 2021.  :applause:

Actually, now that I think of it, should it be at least a couple more times for Metro with respect to this copy here?  If it's the one owned by Kramer from back in the mid 90's, I am quite sure the original purchase along with the subsequent resale must have been done by Fishler since most of Kramer's books went through Fishler at the time.  hm  (thumbsu

so they announce a private sale every couple of years when they need some publicity. Seems legit.

2 minutes ago, midwestfourcolors said:

so they announce a private sale every couple of years when they need some publicity. Seems legit.

Are you trying to suggest that the only legitimate sales that takes place in the comic book world are public auction sales and any other type of sales transactions are not legit.  hm  :screwy:

Certainly not the real worl where almost all business transactions are conducted in a non-auction format between a buyer and a seller.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Are you trying to suggest that the only legitimate sales that takes place in the comic book world are public auction sales and any other type of sales transactions are not legit.  hm  :screwy:

Certainly not the real worl where almost all business transactions are conducted in a non-auction format between a buyer and a seller.  (thumbsu

:whatthe: are you saying all Auctions are legitimate sales :roflmao::devil:

On 4/8/2021 at 9:35 AM, Point Five said:

My wife showed me this article on her laptop and asked if this is an issue we have. I said I would check in the back.

It's been 2 or 3 weeks after initially reading this comment which made laugh out load  and I find myself still laughing reading it today. I even shared it with a few comic book buddies and they couldn't stop laughing either great post @Point Five