• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 - 3.25 Mil new highest sale!
2 2

261 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I do not think a staple replacement should impact value one iota.  In fact, I think we, as a collecting community which wants to see books preserved, should encourage staple replacement.  In the fine art world, no one would downgrade a piece of art because an inherently damaging object is removed or replaced.  Comic collectors should not be so dumb as to insist that switching out rusting staples, of all things, for period correct clean staples is a "downgrade" warranting a price reduction.  They are just staples for God's sake!  

I totally agree.  :sumo:

37 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I always felt like the most likely avenue for "fractional ownership" (not part-time possession, the book would stay in a vault or museum) would involve Action Comics #1 and a lot of publicity.  RallyRd and others have tried going big, but not that big, so the concept hasn't gotten the kind of attention an Action Comics #1 would get.  RallyRd is about to put up a copy of the Declaration of Independence, so this could be their next move.  At any rate, the simplest idea would be that anyone with $100 could own a tiny fraction of an Action Comics #1 the way that anyone with $100 can own a tiny fraction of a company through stock (even fractional shares of stock).  The exact methods and venues to make that happen were always subject to all kinds of variables, but someday, it will be as common to buy/sell shares in Action Comics #1 as it is to buy/sell fractions of bitcoin.  Between the two, Action Comics #1 can sit in a museum under guard visible to the world while a dozen bitcoins still don't even really exist... or do they? :grin:

That is kinda what I was suggesting, although I did use an absolute horrendous example of butchering it. ( which I truly hope does not happen) it is the partial ownership and digital/media revenue streams that would open this up to being a way bigger asset. 

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I do not think a staple replacement should impact value one iota.  In fact, I think we, as a collecting community which wants to see books preserved, should encourage staple replacement.  In the fine art world, no one would downgrade a piece of art because an inherently damaging object is removed or replaced.  Comic collectors should not be so dumb as to insist that switching out rusting staples, of all things, for period correct clean staples is a "downgrade" warranting a price reduction.  They are just staples for God's sake!  

Amen!

It is refreshing to hear people talk about the book and not the label. I realize many/most people would place a lesser value on a book with replaced staples, but shouldn't the value of such a book increase (assuming the work is done properly)?   After all, the book is improved.

Shouldn't we also have this view toward deacidification and tape removal?

If the books could talk, what would they want? I know. I'm being silly.

Collectively, as a hobby we should really try to incentivize behavior that preserves these fragile pieces of paper.

Naivete? 

I think this sale is a good buy mid-long term.  Sure we all go way back and think whoever bought it paid too much because WE would never pony up for it at these prices.... but if he doesn't panic sell, he'll be fine.  Just sit back and let the market do the work.  Of course, lets say this is a bitcoin 9 figure millionaire having a lark. He's not really going to see a huge return on his investment. So there IS a pretty large share of "wanting to own something cool" like an Action 1 for the buyer -- and its the 3rd best (really 4th best) copy. The highest graded copy that will be available for quite some time too... as Im sure Mtero assured the buyer.  

As for the rusty staple, yeah thats a an issue that may come back to haunt the buyer and the book. But if it stays in the slab, just have to sell it before the rust migration eats away paper and it becomes visible.  Gotta unload it before that.  And Im against allowing replaced staple be allowed and remain in a blue label.  A are that for THS book you could make an exception, but iy would be a horrible precedent. 

In ten years? well, maybe.  Man I love this hobby! TM

21 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

which book is next  Sup#1 or Cap# 1 to be bid out in the stratosphere?

I’ll go with Supes. Of both of those books the only copy at the moment coming to auction is a Superman 1 CGC 1.0 in the May C-Link featured. So we’ll see how that does.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why the serial number would indicate a grade date of December 28, 2017 since it clearly has one of the first generation labels from way back in 2000 when CGC first opened their doors?  I thought if it was a straight reholder into a new slab, it should retain the original grade date.  If it was regraded in 2017 for its subsequent resale in advance of its June 2018 auction sale for $2,052,000; should it not have a brand new serial number in that case?  ???

I guess that December 2017 date is when it got reholdered to note the pages had improved to White from OW/W, but somehow kept the same serial number in the new holder.

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

No, It's not "Very High", it's solid, but not very high.

We just had a Bat 1 sell for $2.2 Million. A 7.0 Tec 27 just sold for triple it's 2010 price. This copy of Action #1 has a very strong chance to be the most expensive book we see sold in our lifetimes (at least long-time collectors like you and me). The owner of the 9.0 copies has very little desire (and certainly no need) to ever sell his copies, and the Church (and Allentown Tec 27) will most likely not come to market. The 9.2 Tec 27 is the only other candidate and there is no sign that it will enter the market anytime soon. The $3 million sale happened seven years ago, that is a lifetime in this market. Every major key has doubled (at least) in that time, with many going up 50% or more in the past three months alone. I thought it was low when it sold three years ago (that seller held it for eight years for a 33% return before fees), and honestly expected it should be about double the previous price.

The same collector owns both 9.0s?

49 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

He paid 1 million dollars more for a 9.0  ultra white pages to upgrade his copy...both copies were on display in I think London  called the impossible collection, you should check out the video that copy

Edited by Mmehdy

One other possible theory about the new buyer....we have really not considered..it could have been the UNDERBIDDER on the prior 3 M sale, there were two persons who were willing to pay over 3 M and maybe he did not want to wait any longer?

Edited by Mmehdy

34 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

He paid 1 million dollars more for a 9.0  ultra white pages to upgrade his copy...both copies were on display in I think London  called the impossible collection, you should check out the video that copy

Best of the two 9.0's

Verify CGC Certification | Action 1 Comic | CGC (cgccomics.com)

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:
2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I remember being in London at that time to visit my daughter, but missed the big exhibition by one week as I had already left London by then.  :frown:

The exhibition was held at the gorgeous and historic St. Pancras Hotel and here is a link to a couple of the stories on the Impossible Collection:  (thumbsu

https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/the-impossible-collection-batman-and-superman-s-secret-history-revealed-2942993

For the story below, you might just need to find some way to cut through all of those freaking ads:  :frustrated:  :censored:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/walking-around-the-very-well-named-impossible-collection-of-dc-comic-books/

4 hours ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

It is refreshing to hear people talk about the book and not the label. I realize many/most people would place a lesser value on a book with replaced staples, but shouldn't the value of such a book increase (assuming the work is done properly)?   After all, the book is improved.

Shouldn't we also have this view toward deacidification and tape removal?

Sadly, this is never going to happen now since CGC made the wrong play when they first started up by instituting a stigmatizing multi-color label system, instead of implementing an uni-color label system utilizing both a 10-point condition grading system in conjunction with a 10-point restoration rating system right from the get go.  doh!  :censored:

On 4/6/2021 at 10:09 PM, Crowzilla said:

I will lay odds.  This book has been sold by Metro/CC three times now, if it could have a higher grade, it already would.

Well, according to the email from Metro this morning and even before the one from CGC arrived in my email box, it looks like this is the fourth sale of this copy by Metro/CC within the past 10+ years.  :gossip:

Vincent in the email states that they first brokered the book for a world record $1.5M back in 2010, then again in 2017 for $1,750,000; for $2,050,000 in 2018,and now for $3,250,000 in 2021.  :applause:

Actually, now that I think of it, should it be at least a couple more times for Metro with respect to this copy here?  If it's the one owned by Kramer from back in the mid 90's, I am quite sure the original purchase along with the subsequent resale must have been done by Fishler since most of Kramer's books went through Fishler at the time.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Well, according to the email from Metro this morning and even before the one from CGC arrived in my email box, it looks like this is the fourth sale of this copy by Metro/CC within the past 10+ years.  :gossip:

Vincent in the email states that they first brokered the book for a world record $1.5M back in 2010, then again in 2017 for $1,750,000; for $2,050,000 in 2018,and now for $3,250,000 in 2021.  :applause:

The $1.5 was through ComicConnect which I shared the letter and post card they mailed out after to try to drum up consignments a few pages back. 

Still I do agree this book has been a record breaker a few times. :cloud9:

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

you should check out the video that copy

If you are referring to the Darren Adams video on the origin story of his CGC Action 1, you definitely should NOT because it's nothing more than a blustering video filled with hype and some mistruths in there inclucing some significant gaps in the timeline where shall we say some critical and undisclosed activities might possibly have been done on the book.  (tsk)  :censored: