• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #181 NM Raw Sold on Ebay recently
2 2

55 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-NM-NM-1ST-FULL-APP-OF-THE-WOLVERINE-HIGH-GRADE-/294083123365?hash=item4478b858a5%3Ag%3AZx4AAOSwJ3JgW97~&nma=true&si=b39Hjt6NR50a4fgpx0TNtWaPqSA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

Based on the photos alone, it looks like a great condition book.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have done it differently, i.e. grade it before selling?

Edited by SkyJuice

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Avoid this seller.  And always ask yourself, why would a seller sell a NM + copy raw of this book and leave many thousands on the table rather than get it graded?  And then continue on and ask yourself, why does this guy sell many many high grade copies raw?  If it's too good to be true it ain't true.

100% agree. It makes 0 sense - we all know that slabbing this book would increase the ability to sell at big dollars over this price - more than enough justifying the cost for an express press, clean, and slabbing. Before making a big purchase like this I try to google the seller's name or look for them here to see if there's been any issues...

6 hours ago, SkyJuice said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-NM-NM-1ST-FULL-APP-OF-THE-WOLVERINE-HIGH-GRADE-/294083123365?hash=item4478b858a5%3Ag%3AZx4AAOSwJ3JgW97~&nma=true&si=b39Hjt6NR50a4fgpx0TNtWaPqSA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

Based on the photos alone, it looks like a great condition book.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have done it differently, i.e. grade it before selling?

It looks like it was poorly pressed as well...  :(

$3.95 shipping....lol.  please tell me he did not ship that media mail. 

There is someone selling in a RAW copy of ASM 226 for $335 and he lists it as a 9.9..people are delusional.

A lot of shady shot goes down on ebay I believe.  People with multiple accounts buying their own stuff I think happens as well.

Edited by BrntWS6

The pics are not that great IMO.  The ripple at the top could be a sign of not being pressed as well.  I pull a ton of books out of my boxes that have this and have never been pressed.

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Avoid this seller.  And always ask yourself, why would a seller sell a NM + copy raw of this book and leave many thousands on the table rather than get it graded?  And then continue on and ask yourself, why does this guy sell many many high grade copies raw?  If it's too good to be true it ain't true.

But... but...

What if he just doesn't have time to get them graded?  What if he's going to make a profit regardless, so he's leaving some meat on the bone for the next buyer?  What if he's just a good person?  What if he needs to get emergency hip surgery for his grandmother's dachshund?  What about that time that guy bought a different raw NM book and it came back CGC 9.8?  I know (someone who knows) that guy, so I know it's true.  What if?  Can I afford to miss this opportunity?

These are the ridiculous things that people who bid try to explain to me every time I ask the same questions.

I just wish they would buy losing lottery tickets for a nice percentage of the prize value because "What if I don't have time to go to the lottery office and claim my prize?  What if I read the numbers wrong?  What if I'm just a good person?"

Yeah, that happens... losing lottery tickets end up being winners because there's the guy that found one in a trash can and got $10,000 because the guy who threw it away was dyslexic and thought it was a losing ticket, and I know (a guy who says he knows a guy who knew) that guy, so I know it's true.

5 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I am seeing a lot of key CGC graded books being sold as "buy it now" at low prices from people with zero feedback on ebay (Hulk 180 & 181 in particular). I am sure they are getting people to buy them as well who think they just got a great deal.

I agree they're most likely scams, but is there any risk?  Doesn't eBay let the buyer get a full refund for any reason now?  The scams on the part of the buyers would seem to be the bigger concern.

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I agree they're most likely scams, but is there any risk?  Doesn't eBay let the buyer get a full refund for any reason now?  The scams on the part of the buyers would seem to be the bigger concern.

I learned my lesson when I won a lot on ebay from someone with zero feedback. They shipped something to me but to a different address in the same zip code. Ebay marked it as delivered but of course it never came to me. I went to to the post office and spoke to the manager who gave me a print-out of the exact address where it was delivered...it also showed the weight which was very low so it was probably a letter or envelope. I then used that in my case and I got my money back.

1 minute ago, Bludriver said:
16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I learned my lesson when I won a lot on ebay from someone with zero feedback. They shipped something to me but to a different address in the same zip code. Ebay marked it as delivered but of course it never came to me. I went to to the post office and spoke to the manager who gave me a print-out of the exact address where it was delivered...it also showed the weight which was very low so it was probably a letter or envelope. I then used that in my case and I got my money back.

Good example - it cost you time and effort, but you got your money back.  These sellers with "too cheap" items are most likely scammers, but I think everyone will (eventually) be able to get their money back.