• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Linebreakers
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I purchased five copies of pre sale CGC 9.8 book from these guys back in October that cost $70 each. There was a printing delay and there is still no ETA. No problem. I'm aware CGC ToTs are nuts, so with only 20 days left of my Paypal protection, I sent them an email asking if it was possible to renew the invoice. Refund the original order and create a new invoice so that I'm protected. They promptly cancelled my order and when no new invoice came, I messaged them on Facebook and they said no new order would be created and then blocked me. The kicker is that these books now sell for $200-$300 raw.

Was I out of line asking what I did? 

Edited by I like pie

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You were definitely going to get screwed later, but you got your money back early. 

You were never going to get your 5 copies at $70 each once they realized they could sell them for $200-$300. 

That's how shady people work... and in their mind, it's your fault.

But at least we know the exact dollar amount that their integrity was worth.  Some people value their integrity so much that they'd never rip anyone off, ever.  Others will stomp on you for lunch money.

I was really hoping that wasn't the case and the raws are selling for that much. A 9.8 graded would surely sell for more.

I only asked to refresh the invoice because I only had two previous, small orders with them. If it was a retailer I've worked with for awhile, I would have just waited.

When they blocked you for asking that they uphold their commitment, that's when they revealed that you were worthless to them.

If they had integrity, they would have just sent you a new invoice.  You weren't out of line in any way.

Edited by valiantman

I haven't heard of anyone requesting a refreshed invoice on a pre-sale CGC before, which I believe are generally understood to take a LONG time (I don't buy them for this very reason). Certainly not saying your request was out of line, but would you have done the same if you had paid with a Visa through Shop Pay or something similar before the Visa dispute window closed?

Just playing devils advocate but if I were a retailer who hadn't received a request like this before it may come across as a red flag to me. 

13 minutes ago, lotofsilver said:

I haven't heard of anyone requesting a refreshed invoice on a pre-sale CGC before, which I believe are generally understood to take a LONG time (I don't buy them for this very reason). Certainly not saying your request was out of line, but would you have done the same if you had paid with a Visa through Shop Pay or something similar before the Visa dispute window closed?

Just playing devils advocate but if I were a retailer who hadn't received a request like this before it may come across as a red flag to me. 

I've actually never requested one but with the 180 days approaching, I didn't feel comfortable and probably would have opened a claim on the last day if they didn't respond or said no.

An update, to be fair. I posted what happened on a large facebook group and it kinda went viral.

They ended up reaching out to me to try and make things right. They didn't offer to sell me back my pre order but raw copies.

The only thing is, this book was reprinted because of damage from the printer and it originally sold out. So I have to assume these raw copies are from the damaged batch.

I'm kind of old school with this, you entered in a financial agreement with this company. Things happened that might stretch the time line, you were just asking to insure your end of the deal. They instead cut you off. The deal they offered in my opinion isn't trying to make things right, it's trying to make thing's better for them. It's an olive branch wrapped in poison ivy, you get the itches they get the cash.

Edited by unclezebo

14 hours ago, I like pie said:

An update, to be fair. I posted what happened on a large facebook group and it kinda went viral.

They ended up reaching out to me to try and make things right. They didn't offer to sell me back my pre order but raw copies.

The only thing is, this book was reprinted because of damage from the printer and it originally sold out. So I have to assume these raw copies are from the damaged batch.

The only reason they “reached out” was because of the backlash. They need to be outed so others are not burned by them. 

14 hours ago, I like pie said:

There is a former board member (inactive) that did something like this.  I did not come forward. Turns out other people had similar issues.  You didn't do anything wrong here in my opinion they did.  The ONLY thing that you could have offered differently was to ask them to add on 3% of the old invoice onto the new one to cover the fees that they would not get back from PayPal from the refunding of the first invoice. 

But they entered a business agreement that they should have upheld.   Your request should not have been a deal breaker.

Edited by Buzzetta

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The only reason they “reached out” was because of the backlash. They need to be outed so others are not burned by them. 

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There is a former board member (inactive) that did something like this.  I did not come forward. Turns out other people had similar issues.  You didn't do anything wrong here in my opinion they did.  The ONLY thing that you could have offered differently was to ask them to add on 3% of the old invoice onto the new one to cover the fees that they would not get back from PayPal from the refunding of the first invoice. 

But they entered a business agreement that they should have upheld.   Your request should not have been a deal breaker.

Agreed.  We need to start a me too movement or the abuse will keep happening.  Don't keep enabling them.  Who are these jerk?