• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC set to return this fall...!
4 4

109 posts in this topic

Picked up two more books just for fun.  

but right now I’m thinking about how I’ve never operated a train before … hm 

Spoiler

kidding - the jump seat is the best seat to grab on the LIRR so you can relax and be away from any nonsense on the train.  I’m across from the control / operations cabin. 

91CB6715-528F-4E0F-BC2A-9A2EFF38F88F.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 10/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, Buzzetta said:

Picked up two more books just for fun.  

but right now I’m thinking about how I’ve never operated a train before … hm 

Reveal hidden contents

kidding - the jump seat is the best seat to grab on the LIRR so you can relax and be away from any nonsense on the train.  I’m across from the control / operations cabin. 

91CB6715-528F-4E0F-BC2A-9A2EFF38F88F.jpeg

How hard could it be?  Give it a go.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:54 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

There's also a fair number of people, myself included, who have tickets but are not attending 

I'm included in this.  I queued up (digitally) to buy tickets when they went on sale.  At the time, Friday and Saturday were "sold out", so I got Thursday and Sunday.  Then months went by with no additions to the guest/artist alley lists.  By the time the lists were finalized, I didn't see anyone that really appealed to me. 

I wrote off the tickets as a loss and stayed home. 

Considering they reduced the number of tickets sold, and only Saturday even sold out, I thought it was still pretty well attended. None of the Main Stage panels I went to looked like they were full up (but then again, the selections there weren't that great compared to previous years), but most of the Empire Stage panels I went to in the new building (which was pretty big; the Empire Stage room looked like it had ~2500 seats or so?) were full or pretty close.

95%+ of the major exhibitors that usually attend weren't there, but there were still a good amount that were, and a lot of dealers even though some regulars were missing. Probably helped open the door to some new dealers/exhibitors attending. The big open spot from Buzz's pic was there (I think it was where Midtown usually sets up), and they also had a big open area for PC gaming (tables set up with computers that you could just sit down and play with others) taking up space that was also open. One of the rooms in the new building was also assigned for tabletop gaming, so yeah, they did the best they could to fill the spaces left open.

Because of the absence of so many big exhibitors, the panel selection really suffered the most, I think. Which was kind of surprising, given that a lot of panels were virtual panels anyway (even Main Stage panels--they just filled the room and everyone watched the screens the entire time while the pre-recorded panel played); whether or not they were there, the major companies could have still done these virtual panels to promote their stuff. I mean, we have Eternals coming out in a month, Spider-Man: Far From Home soon, Hawkeye premiering soon, Dr. Strange and Thor 4 both coming out before the next SDCC, Foundation airing now, LotR coming soon-ish, the new Resident Evil prequel series coming soon, etc., but not a single panel for any of these things.

Between the lower attendance/ticket sales and the wider aisles, it was definitely the easiest NYCC I've attended in over a decade to get around on the show floor, even on Saturday. This year's Saturday felt like 2019's Friday in terms of people/crowds and ability to get around, I think.

Prices were...pretty high, I thought, even for a con. I know the books I was looking for are on the rise anyway (X-Men stuff), but even then, it felt a bit too high. Still snagged a few more issues to cross off my list to complete my UXM v1 run, a couple of X-adjacent books, and some other misc things, but not as many issues as I'd hoped to come away with.

Those are my impressions, at least.

I think they announced Sunday as sold out as well, but I think attendance was capped at like 33% or thereabouts?  I went both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday actually felt more crowded than Saturday, but neither day was anything even remotely like a normal NYCC weekend. It was a bummer that so many of the bigger companies were absent. But if you don't like the gigantic crowds but like pop cons then this would have been the one to go to. The panels were still fun, there were still lots of comics to dig through and yes prices in general are higher but dealers were all quick to throw in discounts as usual. I feel like I did alright on the big stack of X-Men back issues I picked up, and there were deals in the $3 and $5 boxes for sure.

I'm looking forward to next year being the return of NYCC at its full power, as I like that kind of thing once in a while and it's the only big big show I go to every year, but do admit the smaller crowds made it more relaxing. Rumor has it the dealers were making quite alot of money compared to the usual, as well. But I've no idea if this is actually the case. It would make sense considering many people hadn't been out to spend money at something like this in forever plus the smaller crowds made it much easier to actually visit the various booths and see what they had for sale.