• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New record reached for Action #1 sale
2 2

62 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:
6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I believe Steve Borock said it was unrestored.  

Did he also confirm it’s NM?

After examining it, he thought it was NM

I believe you have to take this for what it's worth because he made this statement when he was with CGC and viewed by boardies here as God's gift to grading. (thumbsu

Now, that he's working for the other guys across the street, most boardies are saying that he couldn't grade a book even if his life depended upon it.  :screwy:

10 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I expect it would have sold for more if it  didn't have rusty staples.  

Yup.

Can’t stand those.

I’ll wait for a better presenting copy.

:baiting:

10 hours ago, kav said:

7 hours ago, snitzer said:

Good discussion in the GA forum about the sale (includes copies out there, production #s and the usual snark)... 

Yeah Kav.. :baiting:

A thread already exists. 

What made you decide to promote AOL with a repeat thread?

You find one of those free trial discs lurking in the back of a junk drawer?  

tumblr_mq96ahQqqS1svqurmo1_500.gif.c5fc5eb6cff247744be17fa7301c57c3.gif

3 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

A thread already exists. 

I still have a few of those discs (sealed).  And I still use my AOL email (since 1995).

:smile:

I remember when Metropolis sold a 4.0 Action #1 for $200,000 and it was decried as highway robbery (of the buyer) in the GA forum.

:cloud9:

1 hour ago, Norinn Radd said:

I still have a few of those discs (sealed).  And I still use my AOL email (since 1995).

:smile:

I remember when Metropolis sold a 4.0 Action #1 for $200,000 and it was decried as highway robbery (of the buyer) in the GA forum.

:cloud9:

:roflmao:

Yes.. I do as well. Still have most of my Beta Max, 4 and 8 tracks. 

14 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
14 hours ago, comicdonna said:

After examining it, he thought it was NM

:takeit:

The owner has a young son who also collects comics so while the dad is definitely beyond retirement age the book may not surface for many decades to come.  I used to regularly see the two of them at the Northern Virginia comic-con.

I really think that it's far fetched that there's still some "survivors" out there just waiting to be found. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong but you've got to consider that the disintegration of pulp paper from 1938 (especially in the "in an attic somewhere" trope) would be extremely severe if it's not encased in glass or a polybag. Also, is the implication that people alive then who are rapidly declining now somehow have copies of Action #1 and are unaware or oblivious to it's value? People lose Christmas Cards from two years ago, ain't no one holding on to an Action #1 that's gonna somehow turn up. 

33 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I really think that it's far fetched that there's still some "survivors" out there just waiting to be found. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong but you've got to consider that the disintegration of pulp paper from 1938 (especially in the "in an attic somewhere" trope) would be extremely severe if it's not encased in glass or a polybag. Also, is the implication that people alive then who are rapidly declining now somehow have copies of Action #1 and are unaware or oblivious to it's value? People lose Christmas Cards from two years ago, ain't no one holding on to an Action #1 that's gonna somehow turn up. 

I've personally seen (or know about) many cases where in fact this very thing happens. Not Action 1 but numerous other high priced and rare books/collectibles from the 40's and earlier. 

Not sure if there are a total of 200+ but I'm certain there are more to be found in Grandma and Great-Grandpas basement. Usually its not that they have zero idea, its that they were cleaning things out because someone is moving, or has died. And they saved a lot of older stuff they didn't realize/forgot they had.

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

I've personally seen (or know about) many cases where in fact this very thing happens. Not Action 1 but numerous other high priced and rare books/collectibles from the 40's and earlier. 

Not sure if there are a total of 200+ but I'm certain there are more to be found in Grandma and Great-Grandpas basement. Usually its not that they have zero idea, its that they were cleaning things out because someone is moving, or has died. And they saved a lot of older stuff they didn't realize/forgot they had.

Or, when used as insulation in the wall of a home 👍

10 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

A thread already exists. 

I can do what I want!

20 hours ago, kav said:

Or even some dude found the funny book in a stack and gave it to his 6 year old-

Thoughts like that make my behind pucker. Making paper dolls out of an Action #1.

"Thee Daddy? THEEEEE? I make dollies from Superman!"

"GOOD boy! YOU are the smartest, most talented boy there is! This calls for something special! A Detective Comics with Batman in it! See how he's leaping from a roof with a bad guy? See what you can do with THAT! GOOO BOY!!!"

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

Thoughts like that make my behind pucker. Making paper dolls out of an Action #1.

"Thee Daddy? THEEEEE? I make dollies from Superman!"

"GOOD boy! YOU are the smartest, most talented boy there is! This calls for something special! A Detective Comics with Batman in it! See how he's leaping from a roof with a bad guy? See what you can do with THAT! GOOO BOY!!!"

Look daddy what i did with green car!