• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New record reached for Action #1 sale
2 2

62 posts in this topic

I know I'll never own an Action Comics #1 or Detective #27 but would at least like to see them in person for one day. Definitely separated by drool proof glass. 

But that aside, I am always astounded and intrigued when reading reports of the finding of an old comic or baseball card collection. These still happen to this day and who knows how many more are out there. 

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe you have to take this for what it's worth because he made this statement when he was with CGC and viewed by boardies here as God's gift to grading. (thumbsu

Now, that he's working for the other guys across the street, most boardies are saying that he couldn't grade a book even if his life depended upon it.  :screwy:

Boardie fetishtistics.

1 hour ago, rexinnih said:

I know I'll never own an Action Comics #1 or Detective #27 but would at least like to see them in person for one day. Definitely separated by drool proof glass. 

But that aside, I am always astounded and intrigued when reading reports of the finding of an old comic or baseball card collection. These still happen to this day and who knows how many more are out there. 

My friend owned a comic book store and had the best GA collection I have ever seen. She let me hold all the keys. Act 1 Det 27, AA 16, Bat 1 AS 8 GL 1. She had to take them from me before my tears hurt the covers. LOL! My God. MASSIVE collection. She won an award for having collected every single issue DC had printed up to that point. Mind blowing.

Edited by Randall Ries

24 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:
21 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

Could be a good time to get into the estate sale business. Fresh access to dead people's stuff.

Start a business that cleans out homes when the people can't live there anymore.

Yeah, let's flash back to 1977 and I'll see what the Church family will be willing to PAY ME to haul away all that paper garbage filling up the basement closets and pantry in that house, so that it will be much easier for them to do a quick sale of the house.  :devil:  :takeit:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, let's flash back to 1977 and I'll see what the Church family will be willing to PAY ME to haul away all that paper garbage filling up the basement closets and pantry in that house, so that it will be much easier for them to do a quick sale of the house.  :devil:  :takeit:

That's how it works. I have had several elderly clients who couldn't live alone anymore. Call the guys. They do a look through and set aside anything the family should know about value wise. Then, I call the dumpster peeps. The guys come back and in two days the house is empty.

It's a shame more elderly people don't realize what they have. AFATC, it's stuff they or their parents have had all their lives and it's just "stuff". In fact, it's amazing that as much as I talk about the high value of some comic books, most people are still saying "REEEAAALLY? WOW!"

I have my grandmothers baby cup she used as - ironically enough - a baby and toddler. She was born in 1904. I showed it to a dealer one time because I thought it was a cool thing. Made out of pewter and has her name on it. I saw the hungry wolf in his eyes and he said "Well, if you wanna sell it, I'll give you $3k for it." Which tells me it's worth a lot more. But it was my grandmothers, so not into selling it. Maybe I can trade it for a 9.8 Bat 227. LOL!

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

I saw the hungry wolf in his eyes and he said "Well, if you wanna sell it, I'll give you $3k for it." Which tells me it's worth a lot more.

And right there was his big big mistake in the negotitations.  doh!

If he had simply dismissed it out of hand and then lumped it in with something else that was truly worthless and offered you $10 for everything, the cup would probably be in his hands by now.  hm  :banana:

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Was that the one that was stolen?

Yeah that's one that was stolen in 2000. He got it back in 2011 but then auctioned it off. He had a TEC 27 that was stolen along with the Action but he never saw that one again. 

57 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And right there was his big big mistake in the negotitations.  doh!

If he had simply dismissed it out of hand and then lumped it in with something else that was truly worthless and offered you $10 for everything, the cup would probably be in his hands by now.  hm  :banana:

That’s the dealers quandary.  Offer what something is worth, educate the owner only so he wants to keep it cause it’s valuable Offer pennies to steal it and you have a better chance to you get it. But you’re a dirtbag. No middle ground. 

6 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

That’s the dealers quandary.  Offer what something is worth, educate the owner only so he wants to keep it cause it’s valuable Offer pennies to steal it and you have a better chance to you get it. But you’re a dirtbag. No middle ground. 

Is there really no middle ground?  What about "I think that could do well in the right market, what if I sell it and we split the money 50/50?"

hm 

... or does that fall into the "educate the owner" category?

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

My friend owned a comic book store and had the best GA collection I have ever seen. She let me hold all the keys. Act 1 Det 27, AA 16, Bat 1 AS 8 GL 1. She had to take them from me before my tears hurt the covers. LOL! My God. MASSIVE collection. She won an award for having collected every single issue DC had printed up to that point. Mind blowing.

Christine?  

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Is there really no middle ground?  What about "I think that could do well in the right market, what if I sell it and we split the money 50/50?"

hm 

... or does that fall into the "educate the owner" category?

theres ways to get creative sure, ... but when a seller doesn't know the value of something, telling them its valuable often doesn't lead to a sale.  They have to think about it, etc.  Unfortunately --- and Im not advocating for ripping off people -- it falls under the category of " no good deed goes unpunished!"   Sad that buyers who tell the truth and try to be fair and do the right thing too often get burned. The seller's trust is inversely proportional to the vales of their junk. no, not that junk.  sheesh

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
6 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Was that the one that was stolen?

Yeah that's one that was stolen in 2000. He got it back in 2011 but then auctioned it off. He had a TEC 27 that was stolen along with the Action but he never saw that one again. 

I am sure that like the Action 1, the 'Tec 27 will surface one day in the future and you'll see Fishler flying across the country once again to reclaim it for Cage because he apparently has a memory like a steel trap when it comes to these types of books.  (thumbsu

Any truth to the rumours that there was a third book involved in this big theft, but the authorities want to keep this one under wraps as they generally don't release all of the details to the public in the hopes of catching the culprit?  hm  (shrug)

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any truth to the rumours that there was a third book involved in this big theft, but the authorities want to keep this one under wraps as they generally don't release all of the details to the public in the hopes of catching the culprit?  

It turned out to be Marvel Mystery #71 and was eventually found

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any truth to the rumours that there was a third book involved in this big theft, but the authorities want to keep this one under wraps as they generally don't release all of the details to the public in the hopes of catching the culprit?  

It turned out to be Marvel Mystery #71 and was eventually found

I thought I had heard rumours that it might have been a Detective 1, but good to hear that it was found even though a much more minor book.  :applause:

20 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Will she marry me? Does she still own them? Answer the second question first.

Edited by wisbyron
spelling error