• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New record reached for Action #1 sale
2 2

62 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Will she marry me? Does she still own them? Answer the second question first.

So a " Comic Mama " if you will.. hm

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
" Deep Thoughts " by Jack Handy

36 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Will she marry me? Does she still own them? Answer the second question first.

She still owns them. She bought a house across the street as well to house the overflow of books she had collected.

I really liked her. She was the female version of The Comic Book Guy to a degree from "The Simpsons". Once I got past that, she was actually a sweet lady. She was the one who taunted me with a bag full of Batman books. #52 down to 2 #3's, 3 #2's and 3 #1's in the bottom of the bag a farmer type I passed on my way in the shop had just sold her. ("Hi, Randy! Look in that paper bag on the counter!") She again had to pull me off the bag as I began weeping.

She offered me my choice of a #1. They ranged between 5.0 and 6.5. For $3,000. It was 1983 and I was a 20 year old kid then w/o $3k. Now I am a 57 yo without $300,000. I DID buy a #9 and a #52. $60 for a 4.0 #9 which my 1st wife delivered a 1 inch rip through the spine during an argument, and $45 for a 5.0 #52. LOVED both covers. The #52 was traded off YEARS ago. I blacked out when I got rid of the #9. I really don't remember where it went. #52 is hard to find in high grade.

But I was flattered she invited me to her house to check out what a REAL DC golden age collection looked like. I remember them all in my lap. I remember pulling the Action 1 out of the mylar and breathing in deep the pages. I remember her hands fluttering up to her neck saying "Now, be CAREFUL, God Damnit!" LOL! I was extremely careful. I gave it back to her to return to it's mylar sanctum. And the personal Bat 1 she had was superlative. I'll never own any of those but I have handled them.

Far as I know, she never married.

Edited by Randall Ries