• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie question/complaint
2 2

63 posts in this topic

I recently made my first submission to CDC which included 6 modern books.  I’m dumbfounded by the grades received.

I’ve purchased many graded books from eBay and thought I was familiar with what would grade high.  I had one book, 20 years old that I bought from a basement sale grade 9.2.  A second book that I bought myself, bagged and boarded from a shop, that has never been touched grade as 8.5.  Encapsulated the 9.2 looks worse than the 8.5.  The graders notes on the 8.5 day nothing about interior defects so I don’t get it.

3 minutes ago, Mr mojo risin said:

I recently made my first submission to CDC which included 6 modern books.  I’m dumbfounded by the grades received.

I’ve purchased many graded books from eBay and thought I was familiar with what would grade high.  I had one book, 20 years old that I bought from a basement sale grade 9.2.  A second book that I bought myself, bagged and boarded from a shop, that has never been touched grade as 8.5.  Encapsulated the 9.2 looks worse than the 8.5.  The graders notes on the 8.5 day nothing about interior defects so I don’t get it.

if you post high res pics of the books here and the notes, you may be able to get some feedback to help you grade more accurately in the future. 

Additionally, the fact that you bought a book yourself, bagged and boarded it yourself, never touched it, AND THINK THAT THOSE THINGS MATTER shows you still have some learning to do.  Books directly off the shelf, especially 20 years ago could easily be anywhere from 8.0 to 9.4 unless you put a ton of thought and time into assessing high grade condition at that time.

Spend time in the Hey, buddy...can you spare a grade? forum.  Just because you bought it brand new and you barely touched it, doesn’t mean that someone else didn’t...or that they weren’t handled properly during shipment/stocking.  Read the thread rules for the grading forum, then spend some time there.  Post pics of comics you have that you’d like to see get graded someday, or just visit the thread and learn from fellow boardies there.  Google grading criteria, or get an Overstreet Price Guide for starters.  There’s a lot to learn about grading...even I’m not an expert.  You should also learn about comic book pressing. (thumbsu  Just my 2c

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I take the advice of CDC very seriously, but I've never considered making a submission to them.

That’s not a remotely accurate paraphrasing and none of the replies in a newbie forum have been anywhere remotely helpful.  Why respond at all unless you’re willing to provide advice on how to differentiate between different qualities.  I mentioned that the 8.5, in presentation and appearance is far superior to the 9.2.  Instead of acting like absolute know it all’s because you’ve spent more money on the service than I have, why not offer some of your own pointers. 
It seems like it’s easy to forget than not everyone was born an expert.

I get you're confused and frustrated. But, you should prolly re-read your original statement and what  Pontoon said and learn to accept a little ribbing when you see it.

As far as your actual question, I think some of these people gave good advice. On top of that I'd add that even CGC graded comics are still done by a human, and you may disagree with that human. Best thing to do, as I learned the very hard (and somewhat expensive) way is to learn to grade yourself, so you have an actual idea what you may be submitting so it doesn't happen again. 

6 minutes ago, Mr mojo risin said:

That’s not a remotely accurate paraphrasing and none of the replies in a newbie forum have been anywhere remotely helpful.  Why respond at all unless you’re willing to provide advice on how to differentiate between different qualities.  I mentioned that the 8.5, in presentation and appearance is far superior to the 9.2.  Instead of acting like absolute know it all’s because you’ve spent more money on the service than I have, why not offer some of your own pointers. 

Edited by xvipah

9 minutes ago, Mr mojo risin said:
15 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I take the advice of CDC very seriously, but I've never considered making a submission to them.

Relax, he's making a joke.  Attacking Mr Pontoon, who's been here for years and is very experienced with CDC ah CGC and actually does know a lot, won't help.

That you don't know the name of the company you're complaining about is a clear indication that you don't know much about the company or their grading standards.  We were all there at one time and most of us have learned some painful lessons.  

You have good advice here.  Post some scans or pics in the grading forum and ask what defects we can see and why they got the grades they got.  Understanding how CGC grades requires experience and practice.

2 hours ago, Mr mojo risin said:

That’s not a remotely accurate paraphrasing and none of the replies in a newbie forum have been anywhere remotely helpful.

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light.......or just another lost angel?....

31591828846_b36df16120_b-e1551797088469-670x679-1.jpg

It's about par for the course for newbie threads to devolve into jokes and gentle ribbing once users have provided an answer (as revat and Galen did).  It usually gets worst the closer you get to Friday.  I wouldn't take it personally, it happens to everyone.

As someone who was in your shoes, the first submission always goes horribly.  Much like yourself, I didn't realize just how nitpicky the graders can be, nor did I realize that books off the shelves could be dinged so harshly.  My first submission had "fingerprints" and what not that I never even considered and could barely even see.  Like others have said, the next time you send in books, submit some high quality photos fo the PGM section of the boards and see what others think.  If you want a 9.8 of a particular modern, it's honestly better to just buy one than your own submission.  (Unless you have access to like 30 different books and can hand pick the best of the bunch to submit).

Welcome to the boards.

Here, let me show you what 1 of my first submission books looked like. I will also C&P the graders notes for you. I LITERALLY had no idea what I was sending in, it's a, sometimes painful, learning process. I had zero idea to look for any of this stuff. I just thought "It's old and everyone loves Iron Man, send it in!":

Grader Notes:
extra staple not manufacturing
heavy creasing to cover
missing page(s) 4 affects story

Pain.thumb.jpg.48da635b9f213956911530a67e9f21f8.jpg

It's really hard for people to hypothesis about why one book graded poorer but looks better. You could post pictures if your interested and folks could point out specific differences. 

Also,  keep in mind cgc grades the entire book,  while the front covers tend to get all the glory. Back cover or interior issues on the 8.5 may have dragged the grade down. 

Accurate grading is tough. And using the "spare a grade" section here has helped me tremendously.  Post pictures of your books and people will tell you what they see. You'll be amazed at what these guys spot and you'll learn allot. 

Way back when, CGC used to host trivia contest and after I'd won a few free submissions I carefully picked four books to submit. I handed them over, in person  at a show, and a worker I was friendly with asked me if I was sure I wanted to submit one in particular. I was expecting four 9.2s or better. 

I got a 6.5, a 7.5, a PLOD 8.0 and an 8.5.   To this day, I don't understand the 6.5. In any event, I deslabbed it, put it in a mylar, priced it very aggressively and sold it the first show I offered it. 

I was disappointed, felt heated and was sure they made a mistake. I'm pretty sure they didn't.