• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real Batman #1?
1 1

96 posts in this topic

So the real problem here is the topic itself "Is this a real Batman #1?" The real question should be "Is this a valid offering of a Batman #1?"

Because, yes, that cover scan is indeed a real Batman 1. It is also obvious it is in a slab, which accounts for the very tight cropping, although bits of the slab are still visible. By asking if this is a real Batman #1 many well intentioned people have been looking at the validity of the book as opposed to the validity of the offering itself!

Just a word or two of caution when presenting something like this! :foryou:

Edited by PovertyRow

Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind for the next time, if there is one.  :)

2 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

So the real problem here is the topic itself "Is this a real Batman #1?" The real question should be "Is this a valid offering of a Batman #1?"

Because, yes, that cover scan is indeed a real Batman 1. It is also obvious it is in a slab, which accounts for the very tight cropping, although bits of the slab are still visible. By asking if this is a real Batman #1 many well intentioned people have been looking at the validity of the book as opposed to the validity of the offering itself!

Just a word or two of caution when presenting something like this! :foryou:

So, I'm not really "in the hunt" for a Batman #1. That (obviously fraudulent) opportunity came my way so I was going to pursue it and see what happened. But I'd really rather spend my money elsewhere for now  ;) But thanks for looking out.

11 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There are these two on ebay. ( Not mine) 20210408_133814.thumb.jpg.65d500cff9db90241b1d6b747e7b9854.jpg20210408_133829.jpg.48756202151dd1b4f70f66dce2db45aa.jpg20210408_133901.thumb.jpg.4717822e6e63630efc6e522da9f75799.jpg20210408_133924.jpg.0182d80fe965527e72eaee57193f78e9.jpg

9 minutes ago, xvipah said:

So, I'm not really "in the hunt" for a Batman #1. That (obviously fraudulent) opportunity came my way so I was going to pursue it and see what happened. But I'd really rather spend my money elsewhere for now  ;) But thanks for looking out.

You are welcome.  Definitely understand that and glad you at least found out this was an attempt at a scam before you got taken. 

4 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

So the real problem here is the topic itself "Is this a real Batman #1?"

That's not a big problem. It is not a real Batman #1. It is at least one real Batman #1 and one or more other books that at least look like Batman #1s.

But yes, it's definitely not a valid offering of a Batman #1.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

That's not a big problem. It is not a real Batman #1. It is at least one real Batman #1 and one or more other books that at least look like Batman #1s.

But yes, it's definitely not a valid offering of a Batman #1.

The problem is that a question posed that way sends people looking for those little tidbits that validate an original vs a reproduction, as can be seen by the large number of initial posts that do just that. There should be a larger overriding larger principle in this kind of situation.

1 minute ago, PovertyRow said:

The problem is that a question posed that way sends people looking for those little tidbits that validate an original vs a reproduction, as can be seen by the large number of initial posts that do just that. There should be a larger overriding larger principle in this kind of situation.

(thumbsu

I was mostly just having some fun with wordplay.

But on such big books there will always be somebody looking for how it's a scam.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

(thumbsu

I was mostly just having some fun with wordplay.

But on such big books there will always be somebody looking for how it's a scam.

I think we've been here long enough to know that we both enjoy such verbal fencing, contretemps, rhubarbs and wrangles! :devil:

16 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Ain't got no principles. Nor any convictions.