• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh! We have a price bump!

29 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

What’s that QES sticker?

It's a "quality" sticker that says the book has perfect staple placement and "preferred" cover alignment. In short, something to stroke someones weak ego. It's neat when companies try to define aesthetics to everyone else.

40 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

Yeah I think it’s dumb, but at the end of the day people can do whatever they want, it’s their money. I’ve seen high grade copies before it’s not like they’re rare or anything, just a little high in price but they’re out there. I do think it’s a bit crazy that there’s huge price difference between a 9.0 and 9.8 copy.

Yes. They can do whatever they like. Even 9.0 copies are starting to get up there. It's the cover. That's all there is to the book. The black shows up every wrinkle and break.

5 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It's a "quality" sticker that says the book has perfect staple placement and "preferred" cover alignment. In short, something to stroke someones weak ego. It's neat when companies try to define aesthetics to everyone else.

Isn’t that what the original grading is for? Maybe we should start a new service that grades and encapsulates slabs 😄

2 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Isn’t that what the original grading is for? Maybe we should start a new service that grades and encapsulates slabs 😄

Haha. Yep. I think I'd rip that little sucker off if I bought a book with that on it. Stick it to my shirt or something. There. Now I'M extra thpecial! LOL!

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Yes. They can do whatever they like. Even 9.0 copies are starting to get up there. It's the cover. That's all there is to the book. The black shows up every wrinkle and break.

That’s the unfortunate part to the wonderful homage cover Neal Adams brought us.

2 hours ago, BrooksR said:

The theory is that within any grade there is a range. Some 8.0s will be below average and some will be higher.  QES was an outside company that tried to select the finest copy of a grade and give them a shiny sticker.

It's a bridge too far for most people.

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

The theory is that within any grade there is a range. Some 8.0s will be below average and some will be higher.  QES was an outside company that tried to select the finest copy of a grade and give them a shiny sticker.

It's a bridge too far for most people.

How much did people pay for that? Did they have to ship them to QES? Seems like a lot of expense for a sticker 🤷‍♂️